Cold calling for loads

Gtholenllc

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hey everyone,
My name is Greg. While I’m not new to the trucking industry I am new to cold calling looking for loads.

I have a couple questions for some of the more experienced owner/operators. I have been attending the expediters show since it was new and in Wilmington,Ohio.

My situation is as follows. I saw an opportunity to expand my trucking business and I was told I needed a certian truck. It happened to be a Isuzu NPR with a 16’ and a lift gate. The company was Menard’s. They kept telling me how busy they’d keep me and long story short they can’t. We run 2 full days a week and that’s it. Bad thing is I have to have an extra guy run with me to help move some of the large appliances.

I have my own authority so I’m not tied to them except if I leave I have to turn in a 60 day notice. So I started looking for load boards or a company that can keep me busy. I found a logistics company in central Ohio. They said they want me to run with them and they can keep me busy. So far they have only loaded me twice in 3 months.

So my question is how do/should I go about cold calling places to get loads? I can’t seem to find any load boards for box trucks.

If any one could shed some light on my situation it would be greatly appreciated. I’m afraid if it keeps going this way I won’t be able to afford to run the truck.
It’s GVW is 14,500 lbs.with an empty weight of 9,400 lbs. It doesn’t have a sleeper either.
At the expedited show in July I spoke with every single company and no one was really interested due to the lack of a sleeper. One company said that most companies use a load board but I don’t recall him telling me what the site was. The only other company I spoke with that wa some what interested was Rush Trucking. I spoke with them last month and they had nothing.

Thanks,
Greg

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
With a small truck I would try getting on board with local furniture companies , printing companies, mattress companies etc... to do their local delivery runs (maybe even team up with courier companies to do bigger stuff for them).

I looked on load boards before and many loads seemed to be geared for tractor trailers .... The LTL loads I found did not pay well after factoring in dead heading to the loads or the return trip home.

Uship could help BUT people there are cheap and the real $$ to be made there is if you can coordinate many runs into a single long trip which is not easy to do.

Good luck...

Reactions: Grizzly and Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Also look into air freight at the airport Might find something there.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you are near a big airport, try looking at CEVA, they have a big set up in Columbus, OH it is out by airport. you would have to talk ops's manager for local deliver. I retired from CEVA at end of 2016, in Richmond ,VA. was there 13 1/2 years.

Gtholenllc

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks Guys,

I really want to get away from hauling furniture and appliances all together... it usually requires 2 people and it’s hard enough to find anyone that wants to work.

With air freight,do I just start calling carriers or the actual air port/Port authority? I am new to seeking new business. I will be calling CEVA tomorrow. I have been talking with XPO but nothing has come of it yet. They told me some of there stuff is on DAT load board but I never see any of it. I appreciate all the ideas guys.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Guys,

I really want to get away from hauling furniture and appliances all together... it usually requires 2 people and it’s hard enough to find anyone that wants to work.

With air freight,do I just start calling carriers or the actual air port/Port authority? I am new to seeking new business. I will be calling CEVA tomorrow. I have been talking with XPO but nothing has come of it yet. They told me some of there stuff is on DAT load board but I never see any of it. I appreciate all the ideas guys.

You're not too far from me ... you are right - 2 people in a truck is hard to find BUT I do have a good second person.

It's the GOOD driver I lack (see other posts regarding rood damages etc Ugh) ....

If you're game for working together to make $$ I'm good with that .... solo, otr, local team etc ....

Let me know if CEVA works out .... I tried calling them before for a 26' truck but no luck but that was awhile back

PM me if interested....I'm about 60 miles from you...

Thanks

Gtholenllc

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Let me know if CEVA works out .... I tried calling them before for a 26' truck but no luck but that was awhile back

PM me if interested....I'm about 60 miles from you...

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I’ve been in contact with CEVA but nothing has come of it as of yet.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With a 16 foot NPR I would recommend working for a local delivery company that's how I started out and I still trade work with them today. Most local delivery outfits prefer trucks like that as they are ideal for parcel and skid work, and they will work on most docks.
If you have interstate authority it is a better selling point as the local carrier can sell your service to their customer; understand that the shippers and receivers are their customers. You will have to cut your teeth with the carrier, and most likely a contract to deliver service for a set time. I have one local company that calls me if they have an out of state run that is within one days LEGAL drive time they call me and ask how much do I need and they take it from there.
Best part is its just like a job, i do the work today, I give them paperwork with no exceptions like missing or damage, next Friday I get paid, sometimes sooner regardless of them getting paid, and I sleep in my own bed 95% of the time.