COE class 8 truck conversion to expedite truck

Grasshopper

Expert Expediter
I would like to know if anyone has looked into the viability of converting an Argosy cab over engine class 8 truck with a 90" can into a 24' box straight truck. I can buy an Argosy with 500,000 miles for approx $25000. I have not seen anyone using a COE as an expediting truck, so it may not be worthwhile to look at this option.

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
Yes this has been discussed on here, if you do a search I am sure you will come up with what you are looking for. Good Luck!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Mike cop did this with an international. I think you could go to a 26 foot box and keep the overall length at 40 feet. It would be ok on a straight truck, but as mentioned on a earlier post, not recommended for pulling a small trailer.
Davekc

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Look under the "Straight Trucks For Sale" in the free classifieds and click back to #70......paint color makes me think it was a JB Hunt unit once upon a time.

Rex

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If it's only 90" you could probably go to at least a 28' box or maybe even 30' and still not be over 40' overall. With tandems you could carry just about anything that would fit into the box. Depending on the company that could be substantially higher revenue per mile on heavy runs. It's definitely an interesting idea to consider. Just be sure you don't go too small on the sleeper area as you spend a lot of time there. I've thought about doing that with the 110" unit and a 28' box as well as with a pup as a super D unit. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a used JB Hunt cabover which I had stretched. I have a 28' box (former Fruehauf pup trailer), and I kept the two rear axles, so I can carry 22,000#. After '97 the International Cabovers have flat floors, so the sleeper unit is handy. I like the unit much better than the FL70 I had for the previous 5 years. Mike

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
The Argosy is a pretty cool deal with the flat floor. It just never caught on/ should be a ble to pick it up really cheap. Good luck and bigger sleepers are cool!

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
If you stuck a bigger sleeper on it, how are you going to tilt it forward to get to the motor? I guess thats one reason I wouldn't want one as all your stuff inside would go flyin!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I looked at that. 30 foot box is pretty rare. Not a bad concept though.
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's one of the things I was thinking if I did a coe or pup unit. Set up w/ 24' for freight and have a solid wall built in with an access door through the freight box and another on the curb side. I'd have a ramp so I could ride a cycle up into the 'garage' at the front of the unit. I could also have a workbench etc. in there. Would be pretty easy to do with a unit like this one or a pup trailer.

Leo
truck 767

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
>That's one of the things I was thinking if I did a coe or
>pup unit. Set up w/ 24' for freight and have a solid wall
>built in with an access door through the freight box and
>another on the curb side. I'd have a ramp so I could ride a
>cycle up into the 'garage' at the front of the unit. I could
>also have a workbench etc. in there. Would be pretty easy to
>do with a unit like this one or a pup trailer.
>
>Leo
>truck 767
>
>Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you
>like.

Now you get the idea of what I am trying to do with that other unit we talked about!!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have the idea however I don't believe there are any of that type unit that are built commercial grade tough. Anything less than a commercial box or a pup unit will be ruined way before it's time.

Leo
truck 767

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Actually, It is an excellent concept. You cannot believe the "things" you can get in a 30 foot van at 103" high. With a 25'
wheelbase and tripple air ride it rides like a dream. The storage is secure and when you tip the cab for service, all remains the same.
(unless you're trashy) 10-13 MPG ain't bad either. Companys like it,shippers like it and I like it.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>Companys like it,shippers like it and I like it.

Duh!!! I'm feeling kind dumb now.. LOL.. I remember your name, but never made the connection...That's YOUR truck!

Oh well, it's been a long day!

Dreamer