Cnbc tv will air a special on the AR-15

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Cnbc will air a special on the AR-15 April 25 not sure if this will be an anti AR show

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I were a bettin man I would bet a coffee or soda

Not me, I would say that IF they do as expected, Obama should have to resign. IF they air a special that is factual, honest and without emotion, Obama AND Feinstein should have to resign! Talk about a win win!

bobwg

Expert Expediter
THe name of the show is called Americas Gun the rise of the AR-15

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wait, I'm confused... the AR-15 isn't lethal, and isn't legal?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh yeah, I really expect a show aired by cnbc to be accurate and unbiased. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There isn't one. On a scale of -10 to +10 they all deviate one direction or the other. The only question is which direction and by how much.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wait, I'm confused... the AR-15 isn't lethal, and isn't legal?

Of course the AR-15 is lethal and legal. So is just about ANY firearm, functioning or not. So are knives, forks, baseball bats, sheets, pillows and any other inanimate object that has been used to kill in the past, present or future.

That is NOT the context that the AR-15 will be cast. I would be that they are going to portray it as have no use, other than to kill, murder, and that NO one, other than the government of course, NEEDS a firearm that is THAT powerful and THAT lethal.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would be that they are going to portray it as have no use, other than to kill, murder, and that NO one, other than the government of course, NEEDS a firearm that is THAT powerful and THAT lethal.
I would bet that they are going to portray it as the Most Wanted Gun in America, because it's the "it" gun right now, fashionable and in high demand, retailers can't stock it fast enough, it's selling price is twice what the MSRP is, and how aggressive and savvy marketing has turned the niche market for AR-15 and similar rifles, that in the past no serious gun collector would even consider, into the "gotta have it" gun du jour. CNBC is at its core a financial channel, and that's likely to be the angle.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would bet that they are going to portray it as the Most Wanted Gun in America, because it's the "it" gun right now, fashionable and in high demand, retailers can't stock it fast enough, it's selling price is twice what the MSRP is, and how aggressive and savvy marketing has turned the niche market for AR-15 and similar rifles, that in the past no serious gun collector would even consider, into the "gotta have it" gun du jour. CNBC is at its core a financial channel, and that's likely to be the angle.

I don't no about no serious gun collector not considering them, MANY serious gun collectors SPECIALIZE in collecting them. The prices are already starting to come done and I have even seen a few on store shelves for longer than 2 minutes. There are STILL massive back up's.

There was NEVER a big marketing campaign, just Obama's threats that he was going to outlaw them.

They are accurate, reletivally inexpensive to shoot. Light on recoil and a good platform for hunting, since they come in several calibers. They are good varmint rifles in the 5.56/.223 and a good deer rifle in .308 or 6.8.

As to their angle, you may be right but I would not wiling to bet on it. This "special" just HAPPENED to come out just as the senate takes up "gun control" bills.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/83...ollectors-guide-3rd-edition-book-by-joe-poyer

Last edited:

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
That add ALREADY set the tone. It will just be ANOTHER garbage breath show.

Exactly, the title shows the intent to persuade the sheep that AR 15s should be banned because they are lethal and to the uninformed they resemble an automatic "machine gun".
It will be yet another successful use of the media by those who are following the playbook to a "T"!

All warfare is based on deception.
Sun Tzu

Some of the most recent uses of deception:

1) Deceive the American public into thinking that the Sandy Hook shooter used an assault rifle.

2) Deceive the American public into believing that banning assault rifles along with many semi-automatic weapons will make America safer.

3) Shamelessly parading weeping family members of the Sandy Hook victim's in front of the media. Provoking emotion over logic to deceive the American public into believing that these people have some special insight regarding how the weapons bans will prevent future tragedies.

BTW- These and many more deceptions are all working masterfully at this point.

So, I for one would like to skip the Cnbc report; however, another thought comes to mind.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

Maybe I will watch.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't no about no serious gun collector not considering them, MANY serious gun collectors SPECIALIZE in collecting them.
Well, yeah, NOW they are. They weren't a few years ago. These rifles have been available for a long time, going back to the M16s. Because they've been so widely available, they were hardly considered a collector's item by collectors. In the 80s when government orders for guns slowed down after the Vietnam War, they started making the guns for consumers. The look and the gas-powered mechanisms of the new black rifles offended most of the serious gun enthusiasts, who viewed them as mere high-powered toys. Even magazines like Guns & Ammo had to acknowledge the initial wariness of some readers for the guns. Hunters viewed this new generation of hunters invading their domain with the black and gray rifles as nothing more than people fantasizing "war games" and playing soldier.

When certain rifles and features were banned under federal law from 1994 to 2004, gun makers tweaked their manufacturing specifications, and introduced more AR-15-style rifles than ever. That's when they became collectible to serious collectors.

But it was also in no small part to a watershed article written in Guns & Ammo that started the assault weapon craze.

The gun media found ways to appeal to readers. In a 1981 article on the Colt AR-15 and similar firearms (an article commissioned by Colt, incidentally, which is another name for advertising), Guns & Ammo invoked the rifles' military pedigree, "spawned in the crucible of war." It spoke of their military-level durability, speed and accuracy. In a 1983 cover article on "Bushmaster assault systems," it was noted that in tests on a human-size silhouette target 10 yards away, a Bushmaster with a full 30-round magazine could be "rapidly emptied into the lethal zone."

In the same Bushmaster article, however, it was written that the guns seemed "a mite too powerful and penetrating" for home defense. The Bushmaster was recommended for police SWAT teams "in close-quarter encounters with evildoers."

The new rifles used ammunition - .223 caliber - which was considered too small for big-game hunting in most states. Before long, consumers were buying the guns for small game - "varmint hunting" - as well as recreational shooting called "plinking."

The prices are already starting to come done and I have even seen a few on store shelves for longer than 2 minutes. There are STILL massive back up's.
I just read an article yesterday about how the average retail price is now $2200, for a gun that normally retails for between $900 and $1200. The gun shops at home can't keep them in stock. All of the ones hanging in the stores have "sold" tags on them.

There was NEVER a big marketing campaign, just Obama's threats that he was going to outlaw them.
You must have missed it, then. The marketing campaign from gun manufacturers is famous in advertising circles for their effectiveness. "Tactical" is the new buzzword, whether it's for guns, knives or flashlights, even ear plugs. They advertize heavy the military connection to these items, catering to a new and eager audience that's googoogaga over anything "tactical," but especially guns and military-type gear. Maxpedition bags and ammo holders are all the overpriced rage. People want their keyrings and gate clips and keyring gadgets to be titanium. Why buy a $40 anodized aircraft aluminum flashlight, when you can have a titanium one for twice the price? (Never mind the fact that shiny, pretty, reflective titanium isn't very "tactical." <snort>)

The marketing campaign took low single digit sales percentages of assault-type weapons to nearly half of the sales market.

They are accurate, reletivally inexpensive to shoot. Light on recoil and a good platform for hunting, since they come in several calibers. They are good varmint rifles in the 5.56/.223 and a good deer rifle in .308 or 6.8.
You read the article. :D

As to their angle, you may be right but I would not wiling to bet on it. This "special" just HAPPENED to come out just as the senate takes up "gun control" bills.
The special just happened to come out as assault weapons, the AR-15 in particular, is in the news every day all day. It's the reason for the special, it's the reason for the Senate taking up gun control bills, and it's the reason the gun is the Most Wanted Gun in America. Heck, even I want one, and I'm too cheap to pay for the ammo. Every time I fire a gun, I hear not the report of the gun, but the sound of a cash register. "Click Cha-ching!" Been that way ever since I bought my first box of shells. And they were real cheap back then. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't want one because they are "in style". I NEVER do anything because it is "in style". Some times others catch up to what I like and it BECOMES style, but I can't control that. :p

The 5.56/.223 is legal for deer in, IF I remember correctly, 38 states. It is legal in Michigan. I don't believe it is a good caliber for medium size game like deer. Too light a bullet.

Prices are back to within MSRP, for now. I just saw a Ruger SR556E for 1395.00. That is down from 1590.00 two weeks ago. It is in stock.

I ordered a Rock River Arms ATH back in Aug. No word on delivery yet. It has an 18" stainless, bead blasted, bull, target barrel. It does have a removable muzzle break. Match trigger to go with it. Rated for 1/2" AT 100 yards out of the box.

I want it because I need more range time. My shoulder cannot handle 50 rounds or so out of my 30.06 any more. Too much damage from over the years. I don't like a .22 for that purpose, too short an effective range.

Ammo will come back down in price ONLY when the government stops buying every available round.

I MAY buy a 6.8 SPC upper for it some day. Same barrel etc. Then I would have a good deer rifle off the same platform.

The M4/M16 clones have been the primary short/medium range rifle at Camp Perry for more than 20 years now. The AR15 has been mainstream for a VERY long time.