Clean Cities

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Those that watch Motorweek on PBS will be familiar with the Clean Cities report. It highlights a different player each week. Basically, in 1993 the Clean Cities Initiative was passed. It's various government entities, utility companies and private companies that are using alternative fuel vehicles to save money and help the environment. Well, to save money and the environment is just a bonus that doesn't cost them anything. Most would probably do the same thing if it only saved the money and had zero impact on the environment.

Anyway, 20 years later, they've saved 34M tons of of greenhouse gases. That's 1.7M tons per year. Now, if we told the tree huggers to shut up and went to nuclear power for 100% of the U.S. electric usage rather than the current 20%, we would save that same 1.7M tons of greenhouse gases not in one year but in 15 hours. Every 15 hours another 1.7M tons, or another years worth of Clean Cities. It will take the Clean Cities almost 600 years to eliminate as much greenhouse gas as nuclear would eliminate in 1 year.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Nuclear power has its place, but not as a go to. If not run correctly you have Japan's mess and the biggest issue is the waste. No one wants it in their backyard.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No one seems to want any power source in their back yard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Nuclear power has its place, but not as a go to. If not run correctly you have Japan's mess and the biggest issue is the waste. No one wants it in their backyard.

Just bury it in Bison, SD.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I would have NO problem moving out near the nuke plant in Newport, MI. It has caused fewer problems than the land fill out there has. Does not smell as bad either.

Wind does not work. Neither does solar. Not on large scale systems. It is fine for personal choices. Which may be the answer. Do away with the power grid entirely. Just think no wires to get knocked down in storms.

The problem is that this is the 21st century and we are STILL supplying electricity to homes in the same way we did in the late 19th century.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Only to way to keep it out of most backyards is to go to natural gas. For the most part, the wells are already there. I did read about some type of turbine they can use in the ocean that may show some promise, but not as a total replacement system.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Only to way to keep it out of most backyards is to go to natural gas. For the most part, the wells are already there. I did read about some type of turbine they can use in the ocean that may show some promise, but not as a total replacement system.

Most "new" ideas STILL generate power at one place, transport it over wires, for delivery. The delivery system is a real problem, not to mention, just plain ugly. It breaks down, on a regular basis and is VERY expensive.

At least natural gas is a renewable resource.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There's an area of Southern In where many homes have their own natural gas wells that they use for power.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There's an area of Southern In where many homes have their own natural gas wells that they use for power.

It can certainly work.

(Full disclosure: I have stocks in natural gas companies):cool:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I wonder what O'B would do if the Power company's shut down they're Coal fired power plants for a couple of weeks. Couple that with the Government fiasco it would be the perfect storm. I'm still surprised Ohio voted for him after he about shut the coal industry down.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

You can find that in many areas of the county. There are more areas with enough gas but there are problems with who owns the mineral rights.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wonder what O'B would do if the Power company's shut down they're Coal fired power plants for a couple of weeks. Couple that with the Government fiasco it would be the perfect storm. I'm still surprised Ohio voted for him after he about shut the coal industry down.

Why are you surprised? He is handing out freebies. Besides, most miners don't live in the big cities.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's to steep a price. I'll just pay my bills and work till I die, the American way.

I agree. FAR too steep a price.

The American way? Used to be, not any longer. Now a days, success is punished and irresponsibility is rewarded. Personal responsibility is no longer considered to be needed and many now believe it is unattainable. People must cared for now.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You can find that in many areas of the county. There are more areas with enough gas but there are problems with who owns the mineral rights.

Just like oil wells, the ones that refuse likely will get it pumped out from under them while their neighbor prospers.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
If we could find a safe way to dispose of the nuclear waste or make it's decay quicker then nuclear wouldn't be bad. Problem is you have meltdowns...Japan's F....(I can't spell it!), Chernobyl, 3 mile island...even when not deadly, the clean up costs are massive. Then you have waste that you have to store securely and safely for thousands (not an exaggeration) of years. It's already dangerous but we also have the added scare of terrorists getting ahold of this material and making weapons. How can we possibly get it safely secured and accounted for, for thousands of years...the government? When's the last time they were efficient and trusted?

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app