China unveils its first aircraft carrier

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Foxnews China s first aircraft carrier was put into service Today. It is a Russian aircraft carrier that was sold to China before construction was complete and towed with out engines, weaponary, and navigation systems to China in 1998 and after years of refurbishment began sea trials in 2011. China is still developing a fighter/bomber aircraft and is belived to be years aways from aircraft and training pilots for the carrier

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Sounds like they are putting together a collection agency for when the bonds that they are holding go into default. :(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Obama is likely shipping them navigation/targeting and anti-missile software. He is always out to help out one of his Anti-American allies.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Amazing that some news agencies are already looking at this as a game changer in the naval situation in the far east. Until the carrier is full operational it won't be much of a factor. Last year the Chinese stated they wanted to load it up with fighters, fighter/bombers and choppers but had yet to have any aircraft capable of carrier operations. I'd love to see video of the Chinese pilots making their first actual carrier landings. Landing on an airfield in wind can be fun, landing on a moving flight deck with wind, pitching up and down and being very short is a totally different experience.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Amazing that some news agencies are already looking at this as a game changer in the naval situation in the far east. Until the carrier is full operational it won't be much of a factor. Last year the Chinese stated they wanted to load it up with fighters, fighter/bombers and choppers but had yet to have any aircraft capable of carrier operations. I'd love to see video of the Chinese pilots making their first actual carrier landings. Landing on an airfield in wind can be fun, landing on a moving flight deck with wind, pitching up and down and being very short is a totally different experience.

They will have a learning curve, BUT, the Chinese pilots gave our best pilots a run for their money in Korea. They have a huge population to draw on and will be able to field MORE than enough to accomplish their goals. It is only a matter of how long it takes them. It will happen quicker if we keep supporting them by buying their goods.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I agree Layout they will not be sitting still. I'm sure there will be an accellerated training program especially once the onboard landing and take off systems have been passed for operations. I think the Chinese did what the US and others have done and that is to have an airfield or two with the marked landing area for pilots to practise hitting the end of the deck for the arrestor lines. I'm sure they've got a simulator as well for the pilots. The current timeline of two years before they begin carrier operations is probably a bit longer than what they will take. Although I think there will be some nifty accidents during the first few months of operations.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree Layout they will not be sitting still. I'm sure there will be an accellerated training program especially once the onboard landing and take off systems have been passed for operations. I think the Chinese did what the US and others have done and that is to have an airfield or two with the marked landing area for pilots to practise hitting the end of the deck for the arrestor lines. I'm sure they've got a simulator as well for the pilots. The current timeline of two years before they begin carrier operations is probably a bit longer than what they will take. Although I think there will be some nifty accidents during the first few months of operations.

It will be hard work and many will be hurt, or killed, just as we had in the beginning. They will, however, succeed.

On a bit of a side note. Grosse Ile Navel Air Station, in the Detroit River, was one of those training sites. It's runway ended on the water making it good for beginning carrier training. I grew up a few miles from it. It was still an active base when I was a kid.

Naval Air Station Grosse Ile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Until the Chinese and the Russians figure out the Catapolt system they won't come close to being a match for our carrier fleet. Also notice that the Chinese don't venture far from home. They don't have intercontinental or global naval capabilties.
Our catapolt (??) system is a very closely guarded secret.
They still use the ski ramp take off. An aircraft can't take much of that.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Until the Chinese and the Russians figure out the Catapolt system they won't come close to being a match for our carrier fleet. Also notice that the Chinese don't venture far from home. They don't have intercontinental or global naval capabilties.
Our catapolt (??) system is a very closely guarded secret.
They still use the ski ramp take off. An aircraft can't take much of that.

The Chinese are a VERY smart people. Don't believe for one second that they will not be able to figure out, or steal the design, for a working aircraft catapult. This is just a first stab at it. More will follow and they will succeed.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
New U.S. carriers will not have steam cats they have a new technology starting with the new carrier currently under construction I belive it is planned to be called the USS Gerald Ford

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
The Chinese are a VERY smart people. Don't believe for one second that they will not be able to figure out, or steal the design, for a working aircraft catapult. This is just a first stab at it. More will follow and they will succeed.

I didn't say they weren't smart people. The Russians have been trying to get the cat/technology for years. Yes one day they will do it, but for the near future I think were safe there. If I'm not mistaken the Chinese still don't have engines for the carrier. So that tells me it's not nuclear (thank goodness for that). I don't think the Russians or the Chinese are close on a catapult system or they wouldn't waste their time and money on the ramps. Notice we don't even give that technology to our so called allies and friends. Great Briton has a couple of our old ones that are diesel driven but their the only one close.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I didn't say they weren't smart people. The Russians have been trying to get the cat/technology for years. Yes one day they will do it, but for the near future I think were safe there. If I'm not mistaken the Chinese still don't have engines for the carrier. So that tells me it's not nuclear (thank goodness for that). I don't think the Russians or the Chinese are close on a catapult system or they wouldn't waste their time and money on the ramps. Notice we don't even give that technology to our so called allies and friends. Great Briton has a couple of our old ones that are diesel driven but their the only one close.

the china carrier does have engines

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

The Chinese will out do the Russians on everything soon. As well as us. In the short term we are fine. They will beat us one. Why? Because the are not lazy and WANT to win. We are lazy and wish to lose.

One thing I learned a VERY long time ago is to NEVER underestimate the power and will of an enemy.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I guess they put engines in now. It was delivered w/out. Oh well 5,000 chinese prisoners cranking on a propelor.
Delivered in 1998 they spent years refurbishing and started sea trials last year and put into service today you would not do that with out engines by the time they get the cat and arresting worked out we will be using the new techonogly already being built in the new carrier

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Our catapult system is hardly a secret. The Brazilian and French navies still use the same exact technology with the same parts. The British actually invented the steam catapult system we use today. They used to use it but went to the ramp system to be able to use a smaller catapult, or in some cases no catapult at all. Plus, using Harriers make catapults unnecessary.

Just like the Brazilians and the French, the US still uses the catapult system out of necessity, in order to use some of the larger, heavier and in most cases legacy aircraft. The ski jump ramp is actually less stressful on the airframe of an aircraft since it allows natural physics to do most of the work, rather than the induced physics of the mechanical steam catapult. The new electromagnetic catapults will reduce the airframe stress, require significantly less maintenance, and provide more power for launch. The French and Japanese are aiding in the development of the electromagnetic catapult, so it's not much of a secret, either. It's the same magnet technology that powers magnetic bullet trains.