Chicago Tolls

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Coming back thru Chicago going east I missed a few tolls,and went through prepaid/ez pass instead, will I be getting a ticket in the mail? Or is the toll set up for suckers ,bC thats what I felt like, when I was paying the tolls, and no one else was. I know that many people cant have an ezpass..

Dont steal, the government hates competition. ~Ron Paul~

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
You can go on their website to pay missed tolls. I'm sure they got your license plate probably will have to enter that

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Coming back thru Chicago going east I missed a few tolls,and went through prepaid/ez pass instead, will I be getting a ticket in the mail? Or is the toll set up for suckers ,bC thats what I felt like, when I was paying the tolls, and no one else was. I know that many people cant have an ezpass..

Actually they can have....why would anyone that uses it all the time pay double the toll rate not to have one?.....Since you also get 50% off of the Indiana Tollway as well for now....

seekerman

Expert Expediter
What Chris said. They definitely get the picture of your license plate, as do all toll booths throughout the country. When I started in this business, being from Tennessee, I was aware that I would encounter tolls in the north but had no idea of the extent of the scam or what EZ passes were. Riding merrily down the road at 60, I simply followed traffic, bypassing the cash turnoff for those who didn't have passes. Several weeks later I received a letter billing me for $120.00 for doing this five times in Chicago. Needless to say, my blood pressure rose dramatically as I read the letter. If you go to the website you will pay more than the original toll but not nearly what you would pay if you don't take any action at all. This holds true throughout the country. Further, if you let it go until you receive a letter, you will be threatened with a $500.00 fine if you don't pay them. I have no doubt they will follow through on the threat. If you discover that you have missed paying a toll, tell them at the next booth you come to and they will give you a form so that you can pay the missed toll without penalty if you ask. I even got a letter once saying that I had missed a toll at the Holland tunnel in NY. I'm not aware that you can even get by the booth without paying the toll. If you choose not to get an EZ pass, you will quickly get the hang of simply staying to the right and paying the toll, losing a minute unless there is a line. Bottom, line: pay attention and slow down when approaching a booth, stay to the right and pay the toll. That way you can help the politicians pay for redoing the intersection at a McDonalds 5 miles from the interstate and buy a dress for their wives when they attend their next moneygrab.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't have an EZpass. It makes running Chicago and the north east so much easier, and a discount.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
wvcourier wrote:

I know that many people cant have an ezpass..

Yea, the truckers that run e/w across the north aren't that many and the people that live in high population areas along the toll rd and use it everyday aren't many at all..and yea while expditers are a small fraction of the trucking industry, we run in and out of Chicago area all the time..

Why would those people not have it and take advantage of the discounts that having it gives..:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What I can't believe is, there are people who think paying the toll is optional while driving on a toll road.

Drive around Chicago and simply look at the top center of people's windshields. The majority of them have an I-Pass (or EZ Pass) transponder stuck up there. Like OVM said, cash customers pay twice the toll that the I-Pass/EZ Pass customers pay.

I-Pass (Illinois), I-Zoom (Indiana) and EZ Pass (NY and east coast) are all good on each other's toll roads. None of them are accepted in places like Florida, Texas, Oklahoma or Kansas.

Currently, the Indiana Toll Road and the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority have a reciprocal agreement where holders of either the i-Zoom or I-Pass receive a discount on tolls in either state, as well as E-ZPass users, and it is likewise the case between the Indiana Toll Road and Ohio Turnpike Commission. Toll discounts are currently not offered with electronic tolling on the Skyway.

Here's an interesting little known fact about the reciprocal use of I-Pass by Illinois motorists and I-Zoom by Indiana motorists on the other state's toll road...

Each state charges the other a transaction fee when the out-of-state transponder is used to pay a toll. About 70 percent of all electronic transactions on the Indiana Toll Road are done with I-PASS transponders, according to Illinois Tollway Authority figures. Until January 1, 2010, the fee was absorbed, with I-PASS users paying twice as many Indiana tolls as i-Zoom users paying Illinois tolls. In other words, people from Illinois use Indiana's tolls roads far more than the people of Indiana travel on Illinois' toll roads.

To address this imbalance, the Indiana Toll Road began charging I-PASS users a 3¢ surcharge on each of their Indiana Toll Road tolls, effective January 1, 2010.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter

Only once in NYC we were in the prepaid toll lane by mistake. The signs indicated a bill would be sent. It's been a year and a half, still no bill. I don't know if the van got lost in the shuffle, the camera wasn't working, or if someone at the switch just didn't care.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ive had this happen on several occasions stuck in EZ pass lane, no cash. Here is the easiest way and how I handle EZ pass and bridge tolls in fact, this was advised to me by a EZ pass rep I did check with my attorney and he said go ahead.
EZ pass will send you a letter showing you the toll ammount, a scarry fine with it and give you a pay by date.WAIT FOR THIS LETTER Make a coppy of the letter for your records.
DO NOT PAY OVER THE AUTOMATED PHONE SYSTEME YOU WILL BE BILLED THE ENTIRE AMMOUNT BOTH TOLL AND DEFACTO FINE.
(1) BUY A MONEY ORDER FOR THE AMMOUNT OF THE toll.
(2) Write a letter be polite, or at least professional stating why you missed the toll For example could not change lanes safely, traffic conditions, no cash on hand, etc. Don not tell them you simply didnt want to pay or have an awsome explaination why you were in the hammer lane not even close to the toll booths. Do add at the end of your letter as follows Cashing this money order will constitute payment and settlement of this matter. You are legaly telling them take it or leave it certainly they wont forfiet a toll if they cash the money order they consider it paid.
Make a coppy of your letter and your money order and save it.
STAPLE THE MONEY ORDER TO THE LETTER SO THEY DONT LOOSE IT
SEND IT CERTIFIED This will protect you from the "we didnt get it." you have proof you set it and they recieved it because you have a tracking number. The post date will be reconized as your payment date and if it gets lost in the mail you have your tail covered. Just make sure you send it before the due date or they will add a service charge the "Fine".
Im sue they can prove you simply dodged the fine if you did and they realy want thier fine, they can still use the camera.
Good luck
Bob Wolf

P.S.
I gotta agree with turtle even though I don't enjoy paying truck tolls its not optional.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't have an EZpass. It makes running Chicago and the north east so much easier, and a discount.

I was actually born and bred in Chicago's near north side. I got an E-Pass in 1964. LOL! Actually I ran the Kennedy expressway before it opened and was dirt in some parts. Made it from Park Ridge to down town in 20 minutes and I don't think I was speeding. Wait I think there was a Chicago cop chasing me in a 63 Plymouth with a slant 6 in it. I had a 64 Chevelle with a 327. He didn't catch me. Ah the memories.

Before someone say's it opened earlier, it might have. It's kindof hard to remember back that far. LOL!

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first car was a Valiant with the slant 6 and the automatic in the dash. It was a total rust bucket, but that slant 6 ran like a champ.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Both exelent eingines and MOPAR ran the slant six in almost everything. Lots of low end torque and good top end power for a strait/ slant six arrangement. A great work truck motor.
BUT lets face it the 327 as well as the 409 were the engines to run if you wanted to turn tires into smoke and noise while laying tread six inches thick on the ground with the help of a posi rear end.
OH Yeah....
Bob Wolf

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
ThreadHijack-DeNiro.jpg

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Deniro gave Pacino an acting lesson in Heat. Great flick. (the '83 Vette driven by Val Kilmer had an ez pass)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have the Best Pass which works all across 80 as well as along the northeast. It costs 50 cents per month plus whatever tolls you incur. It gets a discount on most of the tolls compared to cash plus it saves a lot of time. For only 50 cents a month I'll never drop it.