Chevy van-isolator

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Installed an isolator in my chevy van. Ran new wire from alternator to A post on isolator. Ran new wire from battery 1 to isolator B1 post. Ran new wire from B2 post to fuse. Started motor, alternator will not put out ANY voltage, What my problem? The description is what the installation instruction said to do. Is there something about GM alternator I missed?

once

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
depending on the yr of the van, gm used 2 different alternator, in one application you had to purchase a new plug the goes into the voltage regulator that had a 3rd wire, That wire ran to a seperate terminal on the isolator...it is called an "exciter" wire, has it "excites" or turns on the alterator voltage regulator....if you have that alternator and didn't replace the plug and run that wire, the alternator does NOT turn on....make sure of what you have.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Year of van, make and model of isolator, please.

If you have a 2005 or newer Delphi alternator (may also be labeled Bosch) with the 2-pin terminal connectors, you cannot use an isolator, and must use a battery separator, instead.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Year of van, make and model of isolator, please.

If you have a 2005 or newer Delphi alternator (may also be labeled Bosch) with the 2-pin terminal connectors, you cannot use an isolator, and must use a battery separator, instead.

Turtle

The van is an 2007 Express 3500 Cargo, the isolator is a NOCO 90 amp.
It may be a 2 pin. It has 2 wires 1-gray & 1-brown in the plug in.

once

Last edited:

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
depending on the yr of the van, gm used 2 different alternator, in one application you had to purchase a new plug the goes into the voltage regulator that had a 3rd wire, That wire ran to a seperate terminal on the isolator...it is called an "exciter" wire, has it "excites" or turns on the alterator voltage regulator....if you have that alternator and didn't replace the plug and run that wire, the alternator does NOT turn on....make sure of what you have.....

Chefdennis

Is there some place in Toledo were I can get one?

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Can not find a name on the alternator but it has 1-post with a 8 gauge wire that runs from the post to the battery and a plug in with 2-wires that disappears into the harness.

Anymore help on this would be appreciated.

once

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am thinking what you described is how my alternator is setup and i had to add the plug i spoke about. Norcos instructions are normally pretty good and eay to follow....push come to shove give that place on upton i told you about a call, the old guy there is really sharp and i am pretty sure he can help you out.

Oh and another thing to look at , check and see what the amp rating of your alterator is, i think you might find that it might be bigger then te 90 amp rated isolator...i had the 90 amp at 1st, then when the alterator went bad, they out a 140 amp alt on....i burnt up the wire from the alt to the isolator and had to replace it with a bigger gauge wire...all is good now.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Personally, I'd recommend leaving the alternator in stock condition, and just using a battery separator. But, replacing the plug is fine, just make sure you can easily go back to the stock configuration if troubleshooting vehicle electrical problems becomes an issue.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
chefdennis & Turtle

After all this it appears that the isolator was DEAD from the beginning.
It was tested and found to be not work.

Thank Guys
once