chevy 2500 fuel milage.

randy123

Expert Expediter
anybody have an idea as to the milage of the chevy vans..2002 with a 5.7 vortec mine gets around 12 mpg... any ideas on how to get better than 12 mpg....

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
My 2000 Chev 3500, 5.7, with turtle top still gets 15 mpg after 550,000 mi. Every 100,000 I've replaced plugs, wire harness, distributer cap and coil. Short of a good tune-up, you might review your driving habits to see if a fuel saving could be gained there. Got a teen-ager nearby that might be sucking a couple of gallons out of your tank every night you're home?

randy123

Expert Expediter
no teens..that i know of...mine just turned 96000, i drive at the speed limit, i have tried it a little slower with no improvement..on 31 gallons it will go 370 to 390 miles depending on the country i am in and the load...even empty it wont get 420 a tank... randy

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 5.7 averaged just over 16 mpg. My 6.0 is doing about the same. both are 3500 extended with 3.73 rears. Do you have a 4.10 gear ratio? Have you always been about 12 mpg or did it drop recently? Do you do alot of city driving or are you out on the road? Do you use cruise control whenever possible?

randy123

Expert Expediter
new update...i got a chance to put it on a scanner...the mass air meter was clocked in the wrong place...to make a long story short i turned the mass air meter while it was running till i got the normal readings on the scan tool.. then i sprayed the metering wires in the tube with brake cleaner.... went on the first long trip got 460 miles a tank.... with the mass air meter not in the right direction it had the calabration all messed up....some one had worked on it and did not put it back the way it was......randy

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great to hear you fixed the problem. And inexpensively too. What is your m.p.g. now.

I would caution you about running that many miles on a tank of gas. The older GM's were notorious for going through fuel pumps. The fuel in the tank helps to dissipate heat build-up. Also more frequent fueling means less of a chance of getting a whole tank of contaminated fuel. This applies to big trucks too! And you have the option to by-pass a place with high priced fuel.

randy123

Expert Expediter
RANDY...the pump went when i bought it..i only got to go 17 miles and the pump went...my son works for the dealer i bought it from so i got a new gm pump and installed it.. if i would have had to buy it it was 350.00 it gets 15.5 to 16 per gallon.. and it was loaded with 2134.00 lbs.

JoeyandJudy

Expert Expediter
We have a 2006 GMC 3500 ext with a 4.8L V-8. We get about 17-18 mpg and sometimes 19 mpg. Our last load was 2200 lbs and got about an average of 16.9 mpg. Trip was 1300 miles.

Joey and Judy