Chef Dennis Follow Up

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
ATeam wrote:

Sitting all day is what expediters do, unless you decide to do something different. Check out a fitness club. You might be glad you did.

The whole post was great Phil and as usually full of good advise. The above quote as to sitting is so true and as Moot pointed out, its not just in our down time..sitting and being sedate is what we do..As for joining a fitness center, I have had a "Y" Max membership since i started this business over 5 yrs ago now..I just never used it as i should have..and thats coming from a EX Fitness Center owner, and Fitness trainer....

I also looked at the the part of the thread about the Bar owner..I could very easily gone that way..You know when we have kids, we say we are going to make changes to our life to do things better, but usually we are young and the efforts go by the way side...Then we grow older and something happens and we say the same things..but we just don't for whatever reasons...Now for me, i knew there was a issue and I also have 3 new grand kids all under 2yrs old...Now this is the time I have to make changes..no more not taking the responsiblity of not doing anything...

I had a PM over on FB from another expediter the other day thanking me for posting what i was going through, he made a promise to those important to himself that he'd make changes and better choices and that was based on what he read about me....I didn't post it for that, but i am glad it had that affect...I can only hope I do the things i do and that others will also look at their own situations after reading this..What I just went through can and will happen to more of us..But it doesn't have to...

Thanks Phil and everyone else and Especially Seekerman, your post proved invaluable to me!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Glad you are doing well. This is a great thread with some valuable information. Some of it I am just starting. No time like the present. My biggest weakness is staying focused on this kind of stuff with so much going on all the time.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Thanks everyone!! Ok, I felt great, no pain no swelling everything was great...Woke up this morning to pain and. Acorn sized lump at the spot in thr groin where the cath was inserted. Now they insert a Cologin (ms) plug to close artetybyt i never felt it and there was no pain to touch...well its there now..LOL..

So after a call to a friend who is a cardiac nurse and my cardiologist, its sitting in my recliner with a heating pad on the bump.

So yeah, it will Monday before I go in service...not quite the "super lov..no wait "superman". I think i am....LOL..

Oh and it was asked above about heart muscle damage, nope it was all good they found the blockages well ahead of time, so that's all good...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

Yeh, Yeh dreaming about the road in that easy chair. Hey I got an idea. Take the easy chair out and put it in the back of your Max and watch Tv. Put the lap top in your lap and alls well. You can make believe your waiting on a load in your Max and it will help keep your BP down.

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Kinda late to the party but I am glad you are doing ok Chef. I guess you will be using Light Philly Cream Cheese from now on? lol...

Since I am handicapped, I use giant rubber bands so that I can have the resistance I want without hurning myself and I can use it anywhere, anytime. Amazon.com: Physical Therapy - Exercise Bands / Accessories: Sports & Outdoors

Please take care of yourselves out there. If any of you are laid over near San Antonio, TX, give me a buzz. 301-758-2452

Take care of yourself Chef so we can keep you in the cheer leading section. :eek:)

Robert

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As for joining a fitness center, I have had a "Y" Max membership since i started this business over 5 yrs ago now..I just never used it as i should have..and thats coming from a EX Fitness Center owner, and Fitness trainer....

An ex fitness center owner and fitness trainer? Do tell more.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
An ex fitness center owner and fitness trainer? Do tell more.

Not much to tell. I have mentioned several times here that I have a big storage locker full of fitness equipment that I'd make someone a good deal on..6-7 yrs ago while running the Personal Chef business I was approached to do menu planning for clients of a small fitness center. I took that opportunity as another income stream and a chance to pickup a few more cheffing clients. As time went on, the owner of the center offered to sell the business, equipment and transfer the building lease to me..I figured I'd give it a shot and bought it. Figuring I really couldn't help people with their conditioning and training without some training myself, I took what at that time was a pretty intense Personal Trainers Certification Program offered by the leading organization (issa) in the industry.

So after about a yr, I realized I really didn't enjoy running the center, along with the personal chef business and hired a few people to run the fitness center and became an "absentee owner"...Bad idea..I ended up closing the place and put all the equipment in storage until I had held it long enough to depreciate it and turn it into "personal property" so i could then sell it as such..and desolved the corporation. I have sold pieces of it here and there. I setup a pretty good home gym (that doesn't get used ) and i still have some of the equipment...Haven't really pushed the sale of it..

So thats it..I know how and what to cook for a healthy diet and i know how to workout and have the proper equipment to keep healthy...I simple didn't care to do either...Now, after the current round of heart and gastro issues and medical situations, its either do what I know needs to be done, or die long before I get to watch my grandkids grow up...

Oh, and yea, the equipment that is in storage is still for sale if anyone cares to take a look at it with the real idea of making a purchase, get in touch with me....:)

Last edited:

DST001

Expert Expediter
Hello Dennis I met you at a truck stop in lansing mi probly 3-4 monthes ago now you let me look at you bunk and showed me you mr heater I have to say you have a sweet set up :D I'm glad to hear you are on the mend