Charles Durning, actor and WW2 veteran has died.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree. They endured the depression, WWII, Korea, and for some, Vietnam. Most of them had an air about them I haven't seen in others.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums mobile app

Many did have a "air" about them. They were the ones that slapped the faces of the Korean and Vietnam War vets. They were the ones that did not welcome them home, who belittled their efforts and did not make them welcome at the VFW's and American Legion Halls.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree. They endured the depression, WWII, Korea, and for some, Vietnam. Most of them had an air about them I haven't seen in others.

Many did have a "air" about them. They were the ones that slapped the faces of the Korean and Vietnam War vets, so to speak. They were the ones that did not welcome them home, who belittled their efforts and did not make them welcome at the VFW's and American Legion Halls.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Many did have a "air" about them. They were the ones that slapped the faces of the Korean and Vietnam War vets, so to speak. They were the ones that did not welcome them home, who belittled their efforts and did not make them welcome at the VFW's and American Legion Halls.

Whoa! Quite an indictment of WW2 veterans.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Whoa! Quite an indictment of WW2 veterans.

I started working in VFW's and American Legions at age 11. It was the norm. Those organizations all but shunned those who returned from those "little wars". That is why so many Vietnam Era vets are so involved with helping today's vets. Their Motto, "Never Again".

WWII Vets, that generation, were people, not special. They were as flawed as every other generation. They were responsible for just what each one did, good AND bad.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I started working in VFW's and American Legions at age 11. It was the norm. Those organizations all but shunned those who returned from those "little wars". That is why so many Vietnam Era vets are so involved with helping today's vets. Their Motto, "Never Again".

WWII Vets, that generation, were people, not special. They were as flawed as every other generation. They were responsible for just what each one did, good AND bad.

Your observations about how WW2 vets treated vets from subsequent wars are vastly different from what I have observed.

Last edited:

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Yes and no. VFW and the Legion are political organizations, and we weren't politically correct, so yes the organizations ignored us. I had several from the Legion that sat with me when I was in the VA hospital, so some did not ignore me. I still get invitations to join, but I won't. Those that disrespected me the most were from my own generation.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your observations about how WW2 vets treated vets from subsequent wars is vastly different from what I have observed.

May be, I am just passing on what I saw. My nephew, tells me stories from Iraq/Afghan vets who were helped by Vietnam Era Vets. That is where I learned their motto, "Never Again."

I spent a good part of 8 years in VFW and Legion Halls. I played drums in a band. I would guess I visited 30 or 40 over the years, many of those on multiple occasions. IF a non WWII vet showed up once, I never saw him again. Their music was not allowed.

All generations are the same. The percentage of exceptional people to scuz is the same. The idea of the "Greatest Generation" is just a book title. They were just people. Just like us.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All generations are the same. The percentage of exceptional people to scuz is the same. The idea of the "Greatest Generation" is just a book title. They were just people. Just like us.

I learned to "hunker" by my dad and his friends. :cool::p

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
May be, I am just passing on what I saw. My nephew, tells me stories from Iraq/Afghan vets who were helped by Vietnam Era Vets. That is where I learned their motto, "Never Again."

I spent a good part of 8 years in VFW and Legion Halls. I played drums in a band. I would guess I visited 30 or 40 over the years, many of those on multiple occasions. IF a non WWII vet showed up once, I never saw him again. Their music was not allowed.

Given that no two individuals are the same, why would you think all generations are the same? Different times present different challenges.

It's not difficult to understand some who came after the WW2 vets might feel a little inadequate by comparison. The fate of the world really was in the balance from 1939-1945.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Given that no two individuals are the same, why would you think all generations are the same? Different times present different challenges.

It's not difficult to understand some who came after the WW2 vets might feel a little inadequate by comparison. The fate of the world really was in the balance from 1939-1945.

Every generation faced it's own challenges. The fate of the world was just as in the balance from 1948-91. Those generations faced an enemy that was just as horrible, just as evil as the one that was faced during WWII, maybe more so. All those who were killed fighting that enemy are just as dead.

Keep in mind, for the most part, it was the "Greatest Generation" era, when they were in congress, that hung our troops out to dry in Korea and Vietnam.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Every generation faced it's own challenges. The fate of the world was just as in the balance from 1948-91. Those generations faced an enemy that was just as horrible, just as evil as the one that was faced during WWII, maybe more so. All those who were killed fighting that enemy are just as dead.

Keep in mind, for the most part, it was the "Greatest Generation" era, when they were in congress, that hung our troops out to dry in Korea and Vietnam.

From 1948-1991, the USSR threatened us with war. Nazi Germany actually made war. The comparison doesn't hold.

From 1939-1945, the fate of the world was very much at stake. The Russians probably would have been defeated if the United States had not entered the war and opened a second front for Nazi Germany to contend with. The rest of Europe, except for a teetering England, was whipped. It took a Herculean effort to defeat Nazi Germany. A feat that stands alone.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
From 1948-1991, the USSR threatened us with war. Nazi Germany actually made war. The comparison doesn't hold.

From 1939-1945, the fate of the world was very much at stake. The Russians probably would have been defeated if the United States had not entered the war and opened a second front for Nazi Germany to contend with. The rest of Europe, except for a teetering England, was whipped. It took a Herculean effort to defeat Nazi Germany. A feat that stands alone.

Ask the 75 million or so that the Soviets, and their allies, like China, murdered. I sure that they believed it to be only a threat. Ask those nations they enslaved if it was 'just a threat'. We fought THEM in Korea, in Vietnam, the PI, and many places that most people don't even know we fought them in. They were a scourge on the face of the planet. They were the embodiment of EVIL.

Those who died in that only threat of a war, are dead. Those who were wounded in that only threat of a war, are just as wounded.

The comparison more than holds. The lack of a real history of that war is sad. What is more sad is how few even attempt to find out what really went on.

Few know of the effort that was put forth to stop them. Few want to know.

We would have done better to allow Germany to defeat Russia and THEN defeated them. Stalin made Hitler look like a choir boy.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think our little history lesson has taken this thread a bit off track.