Charles Durning, actor and WW2 veteran has died.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Charles Durning played a Medal of Honor recipient on an episode of NCIS. One of my favorite episodes.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The deaths of several siblings prior to the war, due to small pox and scarlet fever, is also very interesting. Really points out just how easy we have it in this country. Maybe TOO easy.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The deaths of several siblings prior to the war, due to small pox and scarlet fever, is also very interesting. Really points out just how easy we have it in this country. Maybe TOO easy.

Yep, That generation truley was the "Greatest Generation". IMHO

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Wonder how many of the new hollywood yuppies saw combat?? This is the lost generation.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mr. Durning, was a person prior to becoming an actor. There still millions in this country who put their life on the line. Some in combat, then there are volunteer firefighters and ambulance crew. There are those who volunteer to teach kids, help feed and care of seniors.

I do agree, much of the "Hollywood crew" are pretty slimy. On shinning example od one who is NOT slimy is Denzel Washington. He is doing a lot of good things for wounded vets, without any fanfare. Even Bush JR. does a lot, behind the scenes, with wounded vets.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
This is true, but as a whole, our parents generation had more great and less weak than ours.
IMHO, of course.

I agree. They endured the depression, WWII, Korea, and for some, Vietnam. Most of them had an air about them I haven't seen in others.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums mobile app

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The younger Durning himself would barely survive World War II.

He was among the first wave of U.S. Soldiers to land at Normandy during the D-Day invasion and the only member of his Army unit to survive. He killed several Germans and was wounded in the leg. Later he was bayoneted by a young German soldier whom he killed with a rock. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and survived a massacre of prisoners.

Lets not complain when freight is slow... or we cannot get a shower