charging lap top

otrdriver

Seasoned Expediter
My hard drive went bad on my new computer. I was wondering if charging my laptop with the truck invertor may have damaged it. I use a surge protector, but it is a cheap one from Wal-Mart. Has anyone else had any issues with charging their computer with invertor? I would appreciate any advice.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My hard drive went bad on my new computer. I was wondering if charging my laptop with the truck invertor may have damaged it. I use a surge protector, but it is a cheap one from Wal-Mart. Has anyone else had any issues with charging their computer with invertor? I would appreciate any advice.

More likely a bad hard drive or road vibration. Mine just died on my old computer but it lasted 4 years. I charge it as you were.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
One thing I learned the hard way a few years ago is that even when your in a hurry, you need to shut down your laptop and give it time to shutdown. I was closing the lid too quick and it would go into hibernate instead of shutting down. That allows the hard drive to keep spinning as I understand it and it didn't last long when I first started driving. I stopped doing that and haven't lost a hard drive since. I charge mine through an inverter also.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I have run laptops for years off of inverters. Cheap ones and true sine wave ones.. Never really had a problem.

I run my current dell laptop off a 12 volt adapter I bought off e-bay for about 25 bucks I think it was. I don't see any difference other than I rarely turn on (or forget to turn off) the 1500 watt inverter now ;)

My next laptop will have a hard drive that is built for the vibrations. The toughbooks and some toshibas are setup that way.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I'm going to say it was your computer. ours gets plugged into the 12v cigarette lighter inverter. Our laptop sits on a stand between the seats. I never shut it off, its almost always plugged in, its flown a few feet at least once a week from a takeoff and somehow still kicking.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I'm going to say it was your computer. ours gets plugged into the 12v cigarette lighter inverter. Our laptop sits on a stand between the seats. I never shut it off, its almost always plugged in, its flown a few feet at least once a week from a takeoff and somehow still kicking.

Might I suggest a Ram Mount? I use to keep mine on top of a couple of tote bins... It did not launch as often as yours.. but they can really leave a dent in your head in crash if not secured well.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Might I suggest a Ram Mount? I use to keep mine on top of a couple of tote bins... It did not launch as often as yours.. but they can really leave a dent in your head in crash if not secured well.

We velcroed our old one to the stand. Haven't done it with the new one that we got two years ago. Not really sure why :confused: I'm not the brains of the operation, just the beauty lol.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
We velcroed our old one to the stand. Haven't done it with the new one that we got two years ago. Not really sure why :confused: I'm not the brains of the operation, just the beauty lol.

LOL.. my wife is both ;)

However, Velcro won't keep it in place in a wreck. anything that can be a projectile can kill you in a wreck.

We want to keep you beautiful ;)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I switched to a Chromebook with a Solid State hard drive. Got tired of those spinning things not standing up to the vibration.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would recommend that everyone back up critical data from their computer, be it photos or business information. Backing it up is easy with these 'online' backup services.

But ... a few thoughts ...

First it is highly unlikely that the power supply caused any problems, there are too many things in line with the power that a surge would do this. More likely than not the drive just crapped out, even new ones do that every once in a while.

Second the use of a solid state drive is recommended but for the price, they put you in 1999 storage rates.

Are they worth it?

Yep they are mainly because they are quick. Tigerdirect and Microcenter both have them, I just bought a few for $50 each - 64gb SSD. I would think a person who can clone the HD would be able to help you move to that new drive.

Third, I would not use a 12 volt 'adapter' unless there is something else in line or the thing is isolated from the starting system of the truck/van. There is a surge that can happen from starters in the power system and every piece of equipment that is hooked up to that main power is in some way protected to a certain extent from that surge. This can fry more than the drive, I can tell you this from practical experience with my poor old compaq laptop that now anchors my book case.

Forth is - with all the mods running around, why is this not in the tech forum?

otrdriver

Seasoned Expediter
thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge about charging laptops on the truck. luckily it was under warranty and replaced but I did lose all my data. Lesson learned.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Third, I would not use a 12 volt 'adapter' unless there is something else in line or the thing is isolated from the starting system of the truck/van. There is a surge that can happen from starters in the power system and every piece of equipment that is hooked up to that main power is in some way protected to a certain extent from that surge. This can fry more than the drive, I can tell you this from practical experience with my poor old compaq laptop that now anchors my book case.

The one I bought is specifically made for Automotive and plane use. It is the same unit dell will sell you on their web site.

Starters don't cause power surges. They cause power drops. The alternator can cause a voltage "surge" if the regulator is bad. Many times voltage is regulated by the computer and has fail safes to shut down the alternator in the event of a over voltage situation.

Automotive laptop power adapters use the same technology as the 120 volt ones. They are both designed to handle fluctuations in voltage in either direction. If there is a voltage "surge" in a van large enough to damage your laptop, it's going to fry every electronic device in the van. The ECM, ABS computer, Airbag computer, Radio, gauge cluster and more.