ChaplainSteve-new guy

ChaplainSteve

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Greetings,
I have been sitting in the shadows for a while reading and learning, you all are very kind and caring in all of your sharing. I have been working multiple jobs for 20+ years, generally working as a hospital chaplain for 20 years and driving buses and some straight trucks on the side. I do have a class B w/airbrakes and passenger endorsement. I am now desiring to semi retire (leave the medical field) and do what I have wanted to for years and that is see some of our beautiful land and spend some quiet time alone. After studying and reading(most everything posted on here) I am leaning toward getting a Sprinter in early spring. I enjoy sitting/waiting/reading, never get bored, only desire is to do some travel and desire this endeavor keeps me in baloney and the occassional donut and pay its way. I have always felt there is a trapist monk inside me, lol. I really do hope it supports me, however it is just me with no debt.
I would ask you kind people a couple of questions that I have not seen the answer to.
a,) I am going to try to find a good clean late model sprinter, still pondering gas or diesel and pondering 3/4 ton vs 1 ton, help please?
b.) I am going to outfit or have outfitted with nice sleeper area, as I plan on staying out some time, and this leads me to my main question that I could not find the answer to, are the majority of sprinter loads 1 or 2 or 3 pallets, in looking at some of the conversions depending on wheelbase it can limit cargo capacity, is 2 pallets a norm, how bad do I hurt my load availability with a permanent sleeper area?
I appreciate your time in any answers, when I started this research some time back and many many hours of reading I have many questions, this site and many of you experienced sharing people answered most of them, as have some recruiters I have spoken with.
Thanks, Steve

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
a,) I am going to try to find a good clean late model sprinter, still pondering gas or diesel and pondering 3/4 ton vs 1 ton, help please?
You don't want a 3500 (1 ton) Sprinter. These have dual rear wheels which greatly reduce the inside width at the wheelwells. Any other van, go with the 3500 series.

b.) I am going to outfit or have outfitted with nice sleeper area, as I plan on staying out some time, and this leads me to my main question that I could not find the answer to, are the majority of sprinter loads 1 or 2 or 3 pallets, in looking at some of the conversions depending on wheelbase it can limit cargo capacity, is 2 pallets a norm, how bad do I hurt my load availability with a permanent sleeper area?
I have a Transit that is long enough to handle 3 skids but only give my carrier 120 inches. I prefer having a bed always available. There are many times I arrive at a consignee several hours before they open or need to sleep on longer runs. I like having a bed to sleep on. It comes down to comfort or more load opportunities. It also depends on your carrier. 3 skid capacity could hinder you if your carrier has 2 skid capacity vans in the same area.

ChaplainSteve

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Ah that makes sense, I have also had folks point toward the dodge promaster, I am leaning toward a sprinter style I guess.
Thanks

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Always go with the biggest and longest type vehicle. Reason being the more capacity you have the more opportunities you will have. Some carriers want you to be able to carry 3 skids, some 2 skids. My carrier wants me to have at least a 3 skid availability. They don't make gas Sprinters anymore that I'm aware of.
My Sprinter has 183" of floor space and I can carry 4 45" skids double stacked. Now my bed I can put up at anytime for the most space. Got paid straight truck rate too. So it pays to have the extra space.

Reactions: neilblack

ChaplainSteve

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Well, I researched one of my questions and looking at Midways converion plans I can see how you can get a 3rd pallet in with a sleeping area, with the lift systems, I am also pretty handy (wood and such) and have a cousin who is very handy I think we can mimick their setup, probably wont be as fine tuned as theirs but it wont be 10k either. So now only thing I am still ponderi

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi Chaplain, I am fortunate to have been able to purchase an '11 2500 high-top Sprinter - Diesel.
It's a 170" wheel base extended. I was spoiled by having everything inside my previous Tractor Cab.
Most Expediting Carriers will want your Van no older than 5-6 years.
I wanted a permanent bunk and have the ability to haul three skids - so, 144" of length for freight and then a twin size bunk. Insulate your walls and ceiling well. You may also wish to invest in an Espar Heater and a Roof Top Air Conditioner, as you cannot idle these engines. The Diesel Particulate Filter (EPA Compliant) will clog up with soot and cost you a pretty penny. Good luck to you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    851.6 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Become an expediter and see America....

... at night!

If you enjoy sitting/waiting/reading, and never get bored, the question of 'how bad do I hurt my load availability with a permanent sleeper area?' seems a little incongruous.

Most expedite loads are 1 or 2 skids, or more than 4 skids. If you can haul 3 or 4 skids you'll certainly see those loads, but if you can only haul 2 skids it's rare that you'll miss out on a 3 skid load and then not get another 1 or 2 skid load, instead.

You need to visit truck stops and take a lot of tours of cargo vans and Sprinters to figure out what you want to do regarding outfitting the van. What may seem important at first can become thoroughly unimportant, useless, or even regrettable 6 months into it, and a Sprinter/Transit/Promaster is an expensive trial and error vehicle.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly, visit truck stops and talk to van owners. Check out several different designs. I built my first van similar to an Alumibunk configuration; curtain behind the front seats, bed and a bulkhead separating the bed from the cargo area. That design lasted a couple of weeks until I could change it. It didn't work for me.

I spent the last 3 or 4 years planning and designing a Unicell CW on a Chevrolet chassis. All of my in-cab amenities could easily be swapped from Chevy to Chevy. I had most of the cargo/living area drawn out on numerous pieces of paper. This was going to be the perfect van for me! So I went out and bought a Ford Transit.

ChaplainSteve

Rookie Expediter
Researching
You all are very helpful, I do appreciate it. I have always been a big researcher so this is good sight for that. I appreciate all the info, I make notes and as I get more questions I find the answers. I know my learning curve will be large and after getting started will run awhile in a basic fashion.
Steve

ChaplainSteve

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Hi Chaplain, I am fortunate to have been able to purchase an '11 2500 high-top Sprinter - Diesel.
It's a 170" wheel base extended. I was spoiled by having everything inside my previous Tractor Cab.
Most Expediting Carriers will want your Van no older than 5-6 years.
I wanted a permanent bunk and have the ability to haul three skids - so, 144" of length for freight and then a twin size bunk. Insulate your walls and ceiling well. You may also wish to invest in an Espar Heater and a Roof Top Air Conditioner, as you cannot idle these engines. The Diesel Particulate Filter (EPA Compliant) will clog up with soot and cost you a pretty penny. Good luck to you.
I have followed your posts you reall share a lot of good info, can I ask how do you handle your generator set up, do you just secure em outside your van? and run a cord in, do you have them permantly mounted? what about in inclement weather? I have heard the espar is the way to go. btw love the dog.
Steve

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have followed your posts you reall share a lot of good info, can I ask how do you handle your generator set up, do you just secure em outside your van? and run a cord in, do you have them permantly mounted? what about in inclement weather? I have heard the espar is the way to go. btw love the dog.
Steve
I too was helped here greatly before I bought my van. Trying to pay it forward. I drove another owner's Sprinter first to learn. I had a hitch put on when I bought my Sprinter through Fyda Freightliner in '11. I then had a welder construct a rear swing out arm with a secure seat for my Honda Generators. Secure and Cover them. Espar of Michigan, Brian and Ray L. did all the work to hardwire my Penguin Dometic Roof Top AC 13K BTU, plus 30amp Shore Power, and Espar D2 Heater Box only, (for sale btw $300/Cash/Firm/OBO that I just swapped out for the larger D4 Espar Heater.
During the Fall/Winter/Spring Months, I remove and Store my Generator. An Espar Heater IS the way to go. This is your Office, your Home on Wheels. A person at work or in their home would not go without heat or AC. You may be driving for ten or more years, so make it comfortable. That's how I feel at least.
Maggie is my 20 lb. CoDriver.
- Lisa

Last edited:

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I listed my Espar D2 for sale in the Classified Ads.
Will put a Good Pic up this weekend.