Changing Engine

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I have a Cat 3126 engine in my truck, and have been thinking about swapping it out for a Cummins. Just wondering what I'd be looking at for a price - new and rebuilt.

Also, does anyone have ideas on financing for said venture?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If there is nothing 'wrong' with your current engine, why the rush?

It has an oil leak, that ejects all oil above the add mark. No telling how much that would cost to fix it. It also needs injectors. It has 520k on it. And since I only got it last Oct, I have no idea how it's been kept. I know... oil analysis and dyno. They don't always tell you the whole story.

It's an old engine. I'd like to bypass all the nickle and diming it's going to eventually cause.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Just off the top of my head these items are more than likley need to be changed
Motor mounts, Clutch and Throttle linkage, and all electrical wiring harness.

and maybe, radiator/charge air, inlets/outlets maybe on wrong side of engine.
A/C lines replaced or rerouted.

Not an easy or cheap job! cheaper to rebuild the Cat. or just get something with a decent engine in it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree. Making that type of engine change will have all kinds of challenges. The electrical side would be the worse. Depending on how new, reprogramming of the trans-computer and all the harnesses won't be fun.
Assuming the block isn't cracked, much easier and cost effective to rebuild the current motor or find a good used one. That engine can be sleeved if the cylinder walls are shot but it will give up some minor displacement.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I have a Cat 3126 engine in my truck, and have been thinking about swapping it out for a Cummins. Just wondering what I'd be looking at for a price - new and rebuilt.

Also, does anyone have ideas on financing for said venture?

Pressure in the oil pan a noted problem with older Cats. We used to check the oil with the old Cat with the engine running. Anyway if you rebuild the upper end, head, valves, injectors. If your not using any oil and while your doing that, change the main bearings, front and rears seals and you should be good till a million mile mark. I don't know your engine but I would not change to another engine manufacturer without changing trucks, it's just to costly and can be something that will give you heartburn for a long time. I might ad that this process can be done w/out pulling the engine and with the right machine shop you should not be down more than about 5 days. If a shop is doing it than it depends on the shop. I would sure get estimates before letting someone else do it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Pressure in the oil pan a noted problem with older Cats. We used to check the oil with the old Cat with the engine running. Anyway if you rebuild the upper end, head, valves, injectors. If your not using any oil and while your doing that, change the main bearings, front and rears seals and you should be good till a million mile mark. I don't know your engine but I would not change to another engine manufacturer without changing trucks, it's just to costly and can be something that will give you heartburn for a long time. I might ad that this process can be done w/out pulling the engine and with the right machine shop you should not be down more than about 5 days. If a shop is doing it than it depends on the shop. I would sure get estimates before letting someone else do it.

All I remember hearing was how expensive the 3126 was cause it couldn't be rebuilt... you had to replace it. If I can rebuild it, how much am I looking at?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
A 3126 is a sleevless engine, hence that why they call it a throw away and that's why I brought up the using no oil. If the rings are okay and compression is good the options I mentioned can work. Again if you take it to a shop it would be better to replace with another 3126 not another brand name. I do all of my own engine work if the rig is not under warranty. You must weigh each option than make a call as to what to do. It all hinges on what condition your engine is in. I would never do the top end w/out replacing the mains especially in a Cat engine, but that's my thing. Doesn't make sense to part now and part later because your down time will kill the benefit of a rebuild.
Another is, have you put all the miles on the truck or did you purchase it used? If used you don't know the full history. My saying about a truck is "Know your truck as well as you know your wife." That's crazy but you live with both and one feeds the other, get my drift?:cool:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I want ad something. The most important part of a Cat is the bottom end. If you damage the crank in a Cat it's the most expensive part of the engine. When I rebuild anything I have the crank and camshaft turned and straighten'd. I know what do you mean straighten'd? When a new engine gets broken in the block, crank,camshaft bend. It only does it once. When I build a tractor pull engine thats the first thing we do. That also goes along with line boring etc etc etc. More power and the engine will take higher RPMs w/out blowing in a million pieces. Now I am putting a competition trick in a working class engine and the only other people I know that do this is Pittsburg Power. Really nowadays an engine should go a million miles without internal problems. Again that's my opinion and everybody has one.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do the math first.
Im in agreement with goose sounds like a rebuild or replace make sure you get the truck apraised by a dealer or truck apraiser to make sure the truck is worth putting that much into it. It might cost you 50 bucks but at least you know how far you may be upside down on the deal.
Obviously if you have a payment book your married to the truck but, if you get to be more than two or three grand or so over the market value of the truck you may want to weigh your options. Ive been throwing money at my truck and starting to aproach the retail value with whats remaining on the payment book, + repairs so I still have a little room.
Also, How fast will it pay off in jobs and income.

As for the engine swap and this may be a tall order maby imposiable try to find a complete truck with the same layout as you have either same motor or if different motor same or close to same plumbing. Best bet is run with the same brand of motor now in the truck. 1 You might be able to upgrade to a stronger engine, 2 there are a few upgrades for the electronic engines or 3 have one built to your liking. You will pay for option 3. Like I said before do the math first.

Good luck
Bob Wolf
Wolf Trucking.

Last edited: