ceva and sprinter vans

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
starting -3 1- 13 ceva is requiring sprinter vans to start logging what they are doing
been 9 years sent i fill out a log now have to learn how again
so how many more companies are going to require this now

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Wow, this is big news.
Logs have changed alot in 9 years.

My brother works M-F and has electronic logs. He came in and did a few hrs on a Sat and that invalidated his reset.
It cost him hundreds of dollars of lost work.
And you'll probably have to log a 30 min break before the 8th hr.
Enjoy....., :(

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i quess call that a senior moment in time should have been 03 01 14
i think someone thought that was a good ideal to make sprinter drivers log
or come up with more work to keep there job
30 min rule does not apply to local work or
if you start and finish in same place everyday

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Local work is 100 miles ? 150 miles ?
Lots of people that start and finish at the same place I THINK have to do the break if they run over the mileage limit.

I THINK it's the same start/stop point AND a mileage limit.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Since I don't expect to do any long term local work I haven't paid any attention to those rules.
I guess I'll read up so next time I know.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
starting -3 1- 13 ceva is requiring sprinter vans to start logging what they are doingbeen 9 years sent i fill out a log now have to learn how againso how many more companies are going to require this now
Who had a senior moment? Or are they thinking about a mass change of drivers? that's just more work for the driver, who will not get paid for it?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It could mean less work for the driver if you were used to more than 70 hrs per week.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
starting -3 1- 13 ceva is requiring sprinter vans to start logging what they are doing
been 9 years sent i fill out a log now have to learn how again
so how many more companies are going to require this now

Are they actually wanting you to fill out DOT Regulated Log Books...........or just Keep a Log of your time spent on the Job? IOW - a Timesheet??

Big Difference............

Sounds to me like they're auditing themselves and their contractors for possible upcoming cost cutting measures........Just as the Fed did with the Flat Rate Company Contract / Employee Drivers.

If you're a Contractor.....and your Contract doesn't have an FMSCA - DOT Logging Requirement cause you don't fall under the Logging Requirement for CMV's......I'd question their motive on WHY they are wanting Vehicles that aren't required to Log under Federal Regulations to now "Log" their trips........

Time Sheets are easy to understand why.........It'd be to their advantage to see how much they'd save......or NOT save.......by switching over to Employees in Company Vehicles rather than Contract Drivers. But to make a "CONTRACT" Driver Log his Duties when he doesn't have to.....isn't required to LEGALLY.........has Future Plans / Changes written all over it..........Know what I mean.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I would think they could make logging a requirement even if not legally mandated.
I don't know their operation but if I had people that had to log occasionally because of length of haul or hazmat it makes sense to have them on logs.
May be a pilot program or some part of a settlement.
They really don't require an explanation other than it's a new rule.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I imagine a lot feel the same way.
If you're on a decent M-F dedicated route is it really a big deal ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
No clue. I do expedite.

As a solo expediter, in a $printer, it'd be a deal breaker.

I went to a FMCSA logging seminar in Chicago. One thing the guy made a big issue about was if you drive 12 hours, but log 11, you've falsified the log. At that time that was much worse than exceeding hours. Now I think they are both equally bad.

Which brings up the next point. Are you logging, to keep track of what you're doing, as Brisco suggested, Or are you required to adhere to the same HOS as a 10,001+ vehicle ?

If you have no limit on hours driven, is it illegal to log 13 hrs driving today ?
We need more facts.

noneya

Active Expediter
What next, cv's and sprinters having to go through the weigh stations?

SENT FROM YO MAMA'S HOUSE!