ceva and sprinter vans

zorry

Veteran Expediter
....Just as the Fed did with the Flat Rate Company Contract / Employee Drivers.

I've heard of Flat Rate Trucks. Flat Rate with Employee Drivers ?

Tell me more. I would value being a FedEx employee .

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
starting -3 1- 13 ceva is requiring sprinter vans to start logging what they are doing
been 9 years sent i fill out a log now have to learn how again
so how many more companies are going to require this now

You mean that huge book?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm about to move my vans from CEVA... it's true, the pay per mile is good for sprinters, but with the few miles they offer, I'll be bankrupt.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you haul placard hazmat then by FMCSA regulations your a commercial vehicle and have to make a log for the run.

I would think they could make logging a requirement even if not legally mandated.
I don't know their operation but if I had people that had to log occasionally because of length of haul or hazmat it makes sense to have them on logs.
May be a pilot program or some part of a settlement.
They really don't require an explanation other than it's a new rule.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If in a CV and you haul Hazmat today, you log today.
Do you have to have logs for previous 7 days ?
If so, how do you accurately recreate those ?
That's why I said if I had CV's that had to log occasionally it may be better to just have them log all the time.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
I'm about to move my vans from CEVA... it's true, the pay per mile is good for sprinters, but with the few miles they offer, I'll be bankrupt.

How many is "few"

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If in a CV and you haul Hazmat today, you log today.
Do you have to have logs for previous 7 days ?
If so, how do you accurately recreate those ?
Unless you were a CMV the previous 7 days, then you weren't required to log those days at all. It's easier, prevents confusion, and speeds things up at the scale house, however, if you simply go ahead and log the previous 7 days as OOS. If you haul placarded stuff once a month or every couple of months, you crack open the log book and create the previous 7 days as OOS, then start the log for the placarded run.

That's why I said if I had CV's that had to log occasionally it may be better to just have them log all the time.
Depends on how occasionally. At Load One it's once a month, of that. When I was at Con-Way NOW I hauled one or two HAZMAT loads a week, and rarely did a 7-day period go by when I didn't have at least one HAZMAT load. I more or less logged all the time by default, because, you must also follow the HoS regulations for a short period of time after you finish operating as a CMV in interstate commerce. If you were using the 60-hour/7-day schedule, you must follow the HoS regulations for the next 7 days (or 8 days if you were using the 70-hour/8-day schedule).

So when you occasionally haul placard stuff in a van, it's really the 7 days after the HAZMAT load which become more important than the previous 7 days, because the previous 7 you aren't actually required to log, but the following 7 (or 8) you absolutely are.