Centramatic wheel balancers

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
Hello,

Did anyone had any experience with those balancers?

Some of the guys I've talked to, love them. But for $230 for a set, those balancers aren't cheap.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
After 85k on my front tires they still ride great and show little wear , having my tires shaved help a huge amount also! I highly approve.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
They aren't cheap but neither are tires. I have only run them on steer tires but they are available for drive tires too. Have you looked into other tire balancers like the glass beads that go inside the tire?

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I learned years ago the ole saying in the audio biz "buy once cry once" it does fit the truck world too!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Hello,

Did anyone had any experience with those balancers?

Some of the guys I've talked to, love them. But for $230 for a set, those balancers aren't cheap.

I always used 8 or so golf balls in a tire.........works the same way.

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
The aren't cheap but neither are tires. I have only run them on steer tires but they are available for drive tires too. Have you looked into other tire balancers like the glass beads that go inside the tire?

No I have not, but Ill look in to it.

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
I cant find any trucker reviews on centramatic wheel balancers.

Looks like those balancers are not so popular.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
They are very popular. As you are walking through a truck stop parking lot look at the steer tire wheels and you can see them through the holes.
I had them for a short period of time but had to have them removed because my drums were not compatible with them. They got crimped between the drum and the wheel causing them to leak.
Another great product is Equal. It's a wheel balancing product that goes inside the tire.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
the only thing that would work on my front tires has been the tire shaving and the centramatics! I tried the balance powders, and the beads, both gave me less than desirable results, and now 80k later my tires continue to look new, it was amazing how the tire shaving fixed all of my problems with bad tire wear and a little Watusi in the steering wheel, that haunted me since the truck was new.so in my opinion, centramatics work very well, and i will install them on all trucks in the future.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
They are very popular. As you are walking through a truck stop parking lot look at the steer tire wheels and you can see them through the holes.
I had them for a short period of time but had to have them removed because my drums were not compatible with them. They got crimped between the drum and the wheel causing them to leak.
Another great product is Equal. It's a wheel balancing product that goes inside the tire.

We run equal in all our steers and drives. Have used it for over a decade and swear by it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would go with the equal. They may have improved but we tried the centramatics many years ago and they worked for a little while but road salt/chemicals wiped them out. Just started rusting and leaking the oil out of them. Never tried them after that.
Golf balls work the same way although they are likely harder on the inside of the tire.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Golf balls inside the tire? Think of the noise! At least, that's the first thought that came to my mind. Glass beads in the tire makes me think of abrasive action, and a tire that wears out from the inside.
Not sure how any of this works, so-- enlighten me.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Golf balls inside the tire? Think of the noise! At least, that's the first thought that came to my mind. Glass beads in the tire makes me think of abrasive action, and a tire that wears out from the inside.
Not sure how any of this works, so-- enlighten me.

The golf balls will bounce around until you get moving and then centrifugal force draws them into a set spot which balances the tire. The glass beads are completely smooth so there is no abrasion and they work the same way golf balls do. The advantage to the glass beads is that they can help balance with more accuracy.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I think equal is cheaper than golf balls. I have it in one of my drive tires that couldn't be balanced.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I've had them on my steers for about a year. I was wearing out front tires when i first got into this 08 Cascadia. After a proper 3 axle alignment, new front shocks, and centramatics, I am showing no uneven wear. I was told several years ago from an alignment tech that he's seen a lot of new trucks come from factory out of alignment. I have a 3 axle truck, and there is more to the alignment then slapping laser beams on the front and rear axles. The rears have to be squared up first, then match them up to the front. I've had 2 done, both at a Freightliner dealer.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I run beads from Tire Balancing Products in my my pickup, no lead for years and get good tire wear, of course part of that might be the tires, I only run Michlien. We have found Michelin on the straight trucks give best ride and wear too. A Michelin tire generally requires way less weight to balance than many other brands, know from experience Toyo's for instance are usually horribly unbalanced. A Michelin tire with the beads will give good life in my experience. we had the Centramatic on the steers on two straights, I know they were tossed one one of them and maybe both of them, I drive the truck without and steer tire life is about double of any previous tire running the Michelin's.