Cell Carriers

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I now have Verizon and have had them for a very long time. For the most part I have had no problems with them, until now.

Now, all of a sudden, I am using bandwidth faster than they can make it. They TRIED to tell me that MAYBE I was using a XBox or my grandchild was or Netflix or something. Nothing has changed other then we now have two of those stupid smart phones that we don't use as smart phones.

They want to charge me for a bunch of "stuff" that I did not do.

Is anyone else having problems like this? I may have to switch carriers if this continues. I am NOT going to pay for services I don't use nor will I continue to be harassed by them with their over use texts and accusations that I am using services I am not.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I forget the names, but there are apps that can track which apps on your phone are using your bandwidth. You may have a rogue app transmitting in the background.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For Android there's My Data Manager that tracks data usage per app.

Also, depending on which version of Android you're running, in the Settings, Data Usage, there's the same thing.

For the insanely great iPhone version, you can fine it here.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
My Verizon account (air card only) is getting hit for some xtra data fees that I never had before and havnt changed my surfing habits at all..Very lil D/loading..No chat rooms..Just plain old fashion reading of the intenet pages..Monthly bill is coming in at 90$ more then it should. Something will be changing soon I just havnt had time to figure out what to do.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I've been an AT&T customer since the '80s. We had unlimited data for a while and have used very little.
For a few years they've tried to entice me to give up the unlimited plan.
In the last year we've begun heavier usage and they started demanding I give up my "grandfathered" plan. I refused so they recently shut me off.
We negotiated a compromise but I've lost respect for them. As if they care what I think,LOL.

mzraik

Active Expediter
My Verizon account (air card only) is getting hit for some xtra data fees that I never had before and havnt changed my surfing habits at all..Very lil D/loading..No chat rooms..Just plain old fashion reading of the intenet pages..Monthly bill is coming in at 90$ more then it should. Something will be changing soon I just havnt had time to figure out what to do.

Straight Talk - Unlimited $45 a month... Data, Email, I even use Netflix..$45 a month.

I did buy, and currently use a 20dB phone signal amp in my truck that has enabled me to have signal comparable to my ATT phone coverages. I haven't had a problem other than the occasional reboot, but that happens with my other phones as well.

I say Straight Talk. :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They are telling me it is my "Jet Pack" not the phones. Funny, it NEVER happened until we got these dumb smart phones. We have Iphone 4.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is the WiFI for your phone turned on causing them to connect to the device?

It is off. We have been reading the Verizon site where customers complain. LOTS of similar complaints. Many are reporting the same drastic increase in usage with no change in habits.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It is off. We have been reading the Verizon site where customers complain. LOTS of similar complaints. Many are reporting the same drastic increase in usage with no change in habits.

Call customer service and tell the rep you would like a DIMOND(pronounced Diamond) ticket filled out because you know for sure you didn't use that much data. If they sound like they don't know what a DIMOND ticket is just politely ask for a supervisor so you will get someone with more experience or an actual supervisor to fill it out correctly.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Call customer service and tell the rep you would like a DIMOND(pronounced Diamond) ticket filled out because you know for sure you didn't use that much data. If they sound like they don't know what a DIMOND ticket is just politely ask for a supervisor so you will get someone with more experience or an actual supervisor to fill it out correctly.

Thanks, I will try that. They have been giving us a VERY hard time, just short of calling me a liar once or twice.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
they started demanding I give up my "grandfathered" plan. I refused so they recently shut me off.
We went through the same thing, except instead of cutting me off, they changed my plan, without my knowledge or consent, to one with no data package, so I was being billed for every byte. So it was quite the shock when I got a bill for over $3500.
There was a screaming match over the phone, as you can imagine. I demanded to be put back on the plan I had signed up for, and they lied and said it no longer existed. I found out it was a lie because I taked with others who were on that plan.
So AT&T lost a customer in perpetuity that day. Not only is their data network substandard, but they can't be trusted.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, I will try that. They have been giving us a VERY hard time, just short of calling me a liar once or twice.

Sometimes the reps don't know what else to do but insist you must be wrong. They should ask questions about WiFi devices you connect and usage to make sure it isn't something you overlooked then offer to file the DIMOND ticket which will take a little time but someone will go in and make sure the usage is actually happening on your device. You wouldn't be the first person to have an issue with fraudulent use or a billing mistake.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sometimes the reps don't know what else to do but insist you must be wrong. They should ask questions about WiFi devices you connect and usage to make sure it isn't something you overlooked then offer to file the DIMOND ticket which will take a little time but someone will go in and make sure the usage is actually happening on your device. You wouldn't be the first person to have an issue with fraudulent use or a billing mistake.

I understand asking me once, or maybe even twice, about devices etc but 8 or 10 times, telling me that maybe my grand kid's toy is hooked up is the problem. The problem is my granddaughter lives near Tacoma, WA, no where near my truck.

Nor did the offer to fill of a DIMOND ticket. They also did NOT return my call today when I got ANOTHER high usage alert.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Are you using a mobile hotspot ? We tried on for two days and took it back. I think we were supplying everyone in the truckstop,at least our area,with service.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are you using a mobile hotspot ? We tried on for two days and took it back. I think we were supplying everyone in the truckstop,at least our area,with service.

Yes, for several years without a problem until now. They CLAIM that the encryption is too good to be hacked.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You probably know more about encryption than they do,LOL.

LOL!! Yeah, you may think that but I was NOT a "crypie". Those guys were WEIRD!!
All that "math" stuff messed their minds up. Many used to sit and contemplate their navels at work.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I don't understand why you are having problems, unless you are on a different type of plan. We are on a 20 gig "share everything" plan and use data like its going out of style. NO PROBLEMS with Verizon whatsoever. Always great coverage and speed. We did also try a Straight Talk & Net 10 phone. After approximately 1.7 gig usage in a month, data slowed WAY DOWN, almost unusable.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't understand why you are having problems, unless you are on a different type of plan. We are on a 20 gig "share everything" plan and use data like its going out of style. NO PROBLEMS with Verizon whatsoever. Always great coverage and speed. We did also try a Straight Talk & Net 10 phone. After approximately 1.7 gig usage in a month, data slowed WAY DOWN, almost unusable.

We have a 8 gig share everything plan. Until this happened we have NEVER used more than 4. We had NO problem with our 5 GB plan. NOTHING has changed. It is NOT the phones, we don't do data on them. They say it is the jet pack but again, NO change in habits. I REFUSE to pay for 20 GB when I have never used 5. SOMETHING is messed up. I can't imagine using more that 4 or 5 GB per month.