CDLs for CVs

Scirocco

Rookie Expediter
Just got a call from a Panther recruiter, he said they now require ALL their drivers to have CDLs, including vans. He cited the upcoming DOT requirement for cargo vans to also require CDLs, so they just are being proactive in that requirement.

My plan had been to get a Sprinter and get into expediting, and I especially liked that the CVs didn't require a CDL (and all that goes with it, logs, hours, scales), but now I'm not so sure. I can't afford to get a straight truck, so now I don't know what to do.

Thoughts on the impact of the CDL requirement for CVs?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just got a call from a Panther recruiter, he said they now require ALL their drivers to have CDLs, including vans. He cited the upcoming DOT requirement for cargo vans to also require CDLs, so they just are being proactive in that requirement.

My plan had been to get a Sprinter and get into expediting, and I especially liked that the CVs didn't require a CDL (and all that goes with it, logs, hours, scales), but now I'm not so sure. I can't afford to get a straight truck, so now I don't know what to do.

He is full of crap.... I know of no such pending requirement coming from the Feds.... Only time you need a CDL is to run Hazmat loads . Panther wanted all thier operators certified hazmat at one time.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I could be wrong,but I don't think so. In most states if not all a Class C, license with a HazMat endorsement is a CDL. Correct me if that is wrong?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I could be wrong,but I don't think so. In most states if not all a Class C, license with a HazMat endorsement is a CDL. Correct me if that is wrong?
Mostly correct. Any license with an endorsement is a CDL, as non-commercial licenses don't have endorsements. The endorsements are called "Commercial Driver's License Endorsements."

A Class C license is for any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

You need the passenger endorsement if you drive a vehicle that is designed for 16 or more passengers, regardless of whether or not you actually haul people in it, and you'll need the HAZMAT endorsement to drive any vehicle that's placarded.

Panther has always required their van drivers to have a CDL of some kind. There have been times where they've experimented with allowing van drivers to run on regular Class D operator's licenses, but those were short lived. They do it for many reasons, including keeping out the riff-raff who cannot or will not pass the written tests for the CDL and an endorsement.

Ironically, Panther will not put placarded HAZMAT on a cargo van.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Having a CDL does not subject the driver of a cargo van to HOS, logs, or scales. If they are required to enter the scale, it's because the state requires it, and it will be posted: "All vehicles over 6000 lbs must enter scales".
HOS and logs are also determined by the GVW: 26,001 is the cutoff point above which the HOS & log requirements apply.
If a recruiter said that DOT is going to require CDL licensing for cargo vans, I'd be wondering what else he said that isn't true, because that is definitely a falsehood.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mostly correct. Any license with an endorsement is a CDL, as non-commercial licenses don't have endorsements. The endorsements are called "Commercial Driver's License Endorsements."

A Class C license is for any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

You need the passenger endorsement if you drive a vehicle that is designed for 16 or more passengers, regardless of whether or not you actually haul people in it, and you'll need the HAZMAT endorsement to drive any vehicle that's placarded.

Panther has always required their van drivers to have a CDL of some kind. There have been times where they've experimented with allowing van drivers to run on regular Class D operator's licenses, but those were short lived. They do it for many reasons, including keeping out the riff-raff who cannot or will not pass the written tests for the CDL and an endorsement.

Ironically, Panther will not put placarded HAZMAT on a cargo van.
I think why is placarded hazmat requires a solid bulkhead between driver and load.... Most cv's do not meet this requirement. Y

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think why is placarded hazmat requires a solid bulkhead between driver and load.... Most cv's do not meet this requirement. Y
None of it requires a bulkhead of any kind. Some can't be hauled in the cab of a truck, which means it can't be be hauled in a van, whether the van has a bulkhead or not. The reason Panther won't put placarded HAZMAT on a van is the driver will have to log and scale while placarded. When placarded it's a CMV and has to comply with all the FMCSA regulations, including having an accurate logbook. They have enough DOT logbook violations from drivers who know the rules and log every day without introducing into the mix a bunch of part-time loggers who don't know what they're doing.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you really want vans to be required-- by law-- to have CDLs, to log, have to watch HOS and all the rest of it, it's easy.

All you have to do is think that because your vehicle is unregulated, your human body is somehow immune to fatigue. Drive way too many hours without rest. If enough van drivers do it, it won't take long for the law to figure out something has to be done.

I had to turn down a run last night, in itself the run is not a bad one-- actually pretty easy. However, I was still coming back from a run that was on the point of being 15 hours from the time I left before I would get in range to pick up the new one, and the new order would have kept me out til the delivery was made at 7:00 this morning-- with maybe an hour of sleep in what would amount by then to a 30-hour time frame. I said "No" and stuck to that-- glad I did, too. Dead people don't spend much money, after all.

But--- if you want van drivers to be required to comply with the full CMV requirements, all you have to do is make a practice of driving drowsy. It won't take long....

Special note: Here in Illinois, we just had a case where a rig driver got in trouble from driving way too many hours-- with predictable results. He got onto the shoulder, hit a state-trooper's car, injured the trooper and killed a tollway worker. He's in big trouble now, and I for one have no desire to be like him.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Requiring all drivers to possess a CDL also assists the driver and the carrier in a court of law against the plaintiff, by providing additional proof that the driver was a qualified driver. Lessens exposure to potential liability.

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
yeeeee yup.....any day now.....Recruiters like lawyers....if their lips move they are lying...LOL

OVM... my feelings are hurt.. LOL! You know there are still some honest recruiters out there.. :)

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Haven't met any. If they were truly truthful they would loose their job since they would not recruit anybody.

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
Well then, you have never met me. I will not lie to anyone just to get them to come on board. :) I even have references! LOL!