CDL Test Question?

SKIDROCK

Expert Expediter
I'm getting ready to take the test to get my class B cdl and I was wondering if they allow you to use a truck with an automatic transmission? I want to use a truck that is as easy as possible, but meets all the requirements to be able to use during the test. Any info about this and any other advice on getting a cdl would be greatly appreciated. Also, I live in Ohio.

Thanks,
Jordan

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Depending on the state they can actually place a restriction on your license that states you are only qualified driving an automatic transmission.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I Trained a woman in My Truck which was a 7 Speed, But the Day she went to Take Her Test My Truck was at the Freightliner in Toledo so She had to Use one of theirs Which was a Automatic. When She Passed the Test there wasn't anything on her License which Restricted her to Only a Automatic.. Good Luck!! :D

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
why not ask the dmv office? trans should not be a breaker. are you going for air brake also? does it have ab?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Our state says "it has to be a like vehicle that you will be driving" They mean that if I am going to get a class B, I need to get a 26k or greater GVW vehicle.

BUT here is the exception, if I went for my Class A and used my fifth wheel trailer with my air brake equipped pick up truck, there is no restriction to my license - I can drive a tractor or a straight truck.

I never heard any restrictions on they type of trans, there is only the restriction on if it is an air brake vehicle or not.

SKIDROCK

Expert Expediter
Thanks everyone! Yes, I'm going to go for the air brake endorsement also! Anyone have any advice for the pre-trip test, I hear this is the hardest part!

Thanks,
Jordan

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Thanks everyone! Yes, I'm going to go for the air brake endorsement also! Anyone have any advice for the pre-trip test, I hear this is the hardest part!

Thanks,
Jordan

According to the woman I Trained, When she did the Pre-Trip all she Had to do was Point to the Item that she was Going to Check so the Tester Knew what she was Talking about. Just Read Up on The Pre-Trip Inspection and you should be Ok! :D

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
About the pre-trip test.. MEMORIZE IT. That's the best advice I can give. Go over it and over it until you can do it without looking at the list. If you forget something while taking the test, they can fail you.

While taking the air brake part of the test, one of our friends did not specifically "say" what she had to make sure the starting p.s.i. the gauge had to be at before starting the test and she was failed. I think it's all going to depend on the specific tester that you get, so it's best to just memorize the whole list and state each thing as you are doing the test.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Pre-trip advice; I taught a lot of people how to get past this part.

Learn it from the book first, then with a copy of the sheet that comes with the book, have someone you around anything like a 4X4 where you can see the parts, pointing them out. Go over it at least three times with the sheet and then a few times without, going back to the sheet and back to without if you need to. Be consistent, when practicing call out the parts and any info about them.

The important things to remember are identifying what can be broken (and discussed in the book) like leaf spring and tie rod ends. The tester may ask you what a bad fan belt looks like or what dangers are there with a broken spring.

The other important thing that will pop up is the tread depth, memorize it. And don't forget to remember how the brakes work, some testers will ask you what part of the brakes are what. As mentioned, with the cab part of the test, you will be asked what pressure the buzzer comes on and maybe which gage is the primary air.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
In Texas they just have a written test for the pre-trip exam.

Also, supposedly, if you take your driving test (CDL or operators) with an automatic transmission vehicle -- your license will be notated with that restriction. When I took my road test back in 2006 I was told the only times they put that restriction on is 1) it was requested 2) the examiner fealt that the candidate just cannot handle anything but an automatic.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
When I took mine there was no restriction (WA state) but you are allowed a lot fewer mistakes on your road test with a an automatic vs. a manual. I want to say you get up to 25 boo boos with a manual, not sure how many with an auto but its substantial - maybe 10 less.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Stop by any truckstop. Those guys passed.
If they did, you can.
My state lets you take it every 24 hrs until you pass.
Multiple choice.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im going to take my CDL permit test to get into my CDL class due for march. I would like to know if the test if multiple choice, written, or mixed. I have studied but am just a little worried about failing. Would appreciate an experienced answer. Thank you very much

Could be some differences from state to state, however, permit test in vast majority (if not all) of states is multiple choice. Check with the school you are planning to attend, they probably have practice tests / questions from your own state's DMV.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
The test in IL was Multiple choice, if youve studied and you remember the KEY WORDS, such as Air LEAK DOWN pressures, Braking Distance, Tire pressures, etc youll be fine, The Driving test is more difficult as its now a SKILLS TEST, Ive always driven trucks with a Auto Trans, your license is no different they dont grade you or test you on Transmission types, Since its hard to get seat time and practice the skills test unless you know someone with a truck, I recommend you RENT a NON CDL Straight truck and practice your Backing, alley backing, turning, and stopping skills....its a cheap way to practice the day before you take a test if your planning on driving a Straight truck....Find a large parking lot and practice your PERCEPTION DISTANCES, thats the one I see most people having issues with....there are several sites with the Practice tests, but your CDL book is where the tests originate, learn it, read it front to back...there is no shortcut.

J

JayLena

Thank you str8trk and pearlpro for your valuable suggestions i will definitely follow your advice in my CDL journey.
Merry Christmas