CDL required when not for hire?

BulldogFr8

Seasoned Expediter
Can anyone tell me if a CDL is required to move an empty Class7 with air brakes if I put a not for hire sign on the truck?

I'm looking at picking up a couple of new trucks for a fleet and would like to be able to move them myself say from the dealer to orientation or to have an APU installed.

Thanks!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Moving within the state or out of state?

Out of state, most likely yes, in state, call the police to ask to make sure.

chillycat

Not a Member
You could get a host of different answers to that one. Even someone within your own state or calling up states to be drivin thru may all give you different answers.

Its my belief that once you hit a scale house, the man behind the glass will determine your eligibility.

I've always thought that 26,000 is the gotta be CDL.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Now, you don't need a CDL to drive a 26' U-haul. But keep one thing in mind... bringing it home from the dealer is a non-commercial venture; taking it to orientation might be considered such. Otherwise, taint nothin' different from driving a rental, or an oversized RV. Check with the state troopers first.

Ok... open mouth, insert foot. Yes you do need a CDL to move your truck. Reading up on the rules, I realized ANYONE who operates a vehicle with air brakes needs that particular endorsement. Here's a list of those exempt from a CDL...

Drivers Exempt (Waived) from CDL Requirements

Last edited:
A

aarupservice

Can anyone tell me if a CDL is required to move an empty Class7 with air brakes if I put a not for hire sign on the truck?

I'm looking at picking up a couple of new trucks for a fleet and would like to be able to move them myself say from the dealer to orientation or to have an APU installed.

Thanks!

Be careful, you may get away with it, if you get caught it could be alot of trouble.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Did everyone miss the item about air brakes? I think you need a CDL to get an air brake endorsement! I agree with chillycat about the DOT person at the scale house.

BulldogFr8

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the replies everyone! Was a novel thought for a moment.:p

I guess the easiest way would be to send the teams down in a rental car to get them.