cdl class B license

ohio10

Seasoned Expediter
(1) im looking for a cdl school for class B training from OHIO that is very cheap, something around 35 hours for $800. Does anyone know if such school exists?

I have looked into vo-tech and community school and most of them are prices simmilarly for profit truck school.

(2) however i have found one school in Florida that offers CDL Class B training for $800 and this includes 35 hours of training plus fee the fee for testing however one concern i have is my operator license is Ohio issued whats the process of obtaining a Florida CDL.

(3) would i need to change my OH drivers license to FL drivers License then then take FL tests to obtain a FL cdl permit then go through training and obtain FL cdl license then come back to OH and change it to OH cdl license, and all these steps would cost me alot of money making the training not so cheap anymore
Am i wrong?

Patriot44

Seasoned Expediter
Here are all the places in Ohio, I used "CDL of Northern Ohio" cost about $500. start to finish, but that was just for testing/renting the truck for testing, no "class time" (over 3 years ago.) I did all my own studying, then just took the test.

Lance

Canton CDL Testing Company
2230 Shepler Church Avenue SW
Canton
330-456-4571

*CDL of Northern Ohio
3905 State Route 103
Willard
800-446-8875

*CDL Testing Inc
4060 Perimeter Drive
Columbus
614-294-3684

*Mid-Pike
20972 Middle Pike
Wapakoneta
419-568-3835

*Northwest CDL Center
26718 Oregon Road
Perrysburg
419-837-9400

Pike County Joint Vocational School
175 Beaver Creek Road
Piketon
740-289-5860
ext. 1121

*Rathburn Enterprises
1688 Pricetown Road
Lake Milton
330-538-2216

*US America CDL Testing
8334 State Route 36
Gnadenhutten
740-254-9313

Warren County Education Service Ctr.
320 East Silver Street
Lebanon
513-695-2927

ohio10

Seasoned Expediter
thanx patriot that information was very helpfull, how did u do the training for the class b test. did u have previous experience driving non cdl trucks or is one lesson all you needed

bcordell70

Expert Expediter
I cant say I speak for experience because I haven't drove an actual expedite truck yet. However, just to get started and to see where your comfort level is I would go rent the largest truck they would allow with out a CDL from Budget, Ryder, or Penske I believe you can get a 26' just no air breaks, if you don't feel comfortable driving one that size to start get one of the smaller ones and work your way up, once you are comfortable with backing and maneuvering the 26' truck, then you'll need to rent a class B truck more than likely from a school to take the test. You will also want to make sure you have the pre-trip in the book down really well.

ohio10

Seasoned Expediter
I cant say I speak for experience because I haven't drove an actual expedite truck yet. However, just to get started and to see where your comfort level is I would go rent the largest truck they would allow with out a CDL from Budget, Ryder, or Penske I believe you can get a 26' just no air breaks, if you don't feel comfortable driving one that size to start get one of the smaller ones and work your way up, once you are comfortable with backing and maneuvering the 26' truck, then you'll need to rent a class B truck more than likely from a school to take the test. You will also want to make sure you have the pre-trip in the book down really well.

thats a good idea and they only cost $70 to rent plus insurance u think the handling vwould b the same since the cdl trick is much heavier

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You will need an air brake endorsement most likely and if you go on your road test, you will need a truck that is over 26k GVW with air brakes.

Take classes. spend the money to learn how to drive right. If you can, see if Ohio pays for class A school and go to one.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
thats a good idea and they only cost $70 to rent plus insurance u think the handling vwould b the same since the cdl trick is much heavier

I Don't Know where In Ohio You are From But Up Here in Toledo There is a Place Called Trainco (Actually it's in Perrysburg) who teaches Both Class-A As well as Class-B. When I Taught the Next door neighbor Lady how to drive a Straight she Used Mine which Had a 22 Foot Box on It, But I Did get a Chance to see some of the Rentals Which were Smaller Than Mine in Size and it Didn't have a Box on it which would make it Easier for Testing, But Like the Other Guy Said, Make Sure You Have the Pre-Trip Down Real Good or you would be wasting Your Money as they Are Sticklers for that!! Good Luck!! :D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

I drive a 26' truck with air brakes and do not have a CDL. This is in Indiana, other states may differ.
If you can drive a moving truck ie Penske, Ryder, U-haul. Then basically the only difference in the class B truck is studying for the test. Also, most of the rental trucks are automatic and even the manual tranny ones are mostly like shifting in a car. Just don't use 1st gear, sometimes you can start in 3rd with no load and flat ground. So if you can drive once of these trucks all you really need to do is study up for the test.:)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But Dakota you are under 26k, right?

If the guy is going for a class B license, he has to drive something over 26k. In order for him to rent one, he has to either know how to BS his way into one, have a freind who works at the rental place or just be lucky.

The problem is that getting the license is starting to mean little, if someone has bad habits it will not change even if they pass the test. It is far better to learn from someone else and get some corrections than to be a disaster on the road.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
But Dakota you are under 26k, right?

If the guy is going for a class B license, he has to drive something over 26k. In order for him to rent one, he has to either know how to BS his way into one, have a freind who works at the rental place or just be lucky.

The problem is that getting the license is starting to mean little, if someone has bad habits it will not change even if they pass the test. It is far better to learn from someone else and get some corrections than to be a disaster on the road.

yes, I am under 26K. What I was saying is to practice with an under 26 truck get used to it, an over 26K truck is not going to be that much different, especially if it is an automatic. I do realize some of these class B trucks have a manual like a semi and if that is something they want to learn how to drive, then by all means find a school. The main thing is to pass the test and learn the pre trip inspection. I've driven a truck that was plated at 33K(by mistake) and could not feel any difference from my under 26 truck.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry if I misstated, just needed to get it right to make sure I remembered what you have.

There isn't any difference between the truck but there is with Air Brakes, driven a lot of different trucks but it is now coming down to if we need another driver on the road without training and especially with what's going to happen next year.

ohio10

Seasoned Expediter
im from columbus ohio

i dont qualify for government funded training as i work full time.
after reading all the helpfull replies the idea now is to rent the biggest non cdl box they have and train in that.
then when a friend whos been a cdl class a for 10 years can teach me the pre trip. then after that find the smallest box they have and the smallest gvw they have over 26k with airbrakes from one of the testing center and take the test.
(from ohio bmv there are about 5 cdl test center that provide vehicle {but if i can rent my own from a cdl school i guess i can choose a smaller qualiying unit})
is this a realistic idea

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The only problem with that is getting the over 26k truck. Some places will not rent it to you because you don't have a license.

Pre-trips are easy, just follow the book and go over it and over it and over it. and above all, learn how to check the oil and brakes.

ohio10

Seasoned Expediter
and once i get my cdl i will also look into taking a class with train co inc, to be on the safe side,
trainco gives classes on advanced driver training technique on skid control and recovery to prepare me for the bad weather condition

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You're on the right track. Why not take the class first?

It is the right thinking, as one trucker said to me a long time ago, anyone can drive the truck but it is knowing what to do when something happens that really matters.

40 years on the road with millions of miles accident free, I think he knew something about driving.

bcordell70

Expert Expediter
I don't know if this is just for certain States but I believe I read somewhere on this forum that some States will allow someone to take a Class B test with just a Class A Tractor no trailer.

But I do agree with Greg if you have the money take the classes, I went to a Sage training school when I got my Class A and even though I didnt have to pay for it was still well worth the time and experience.

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
CSA 2010? Confederate States of America? is the South going to rise again in 2010?:D