CDL-A College degree!

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Well, here's something that's kind of funny:

Pima Community College : Professional Truck Driver - Certificate

My local community college (I think the 5th largest in the country) has a truck driver program for 23 college credits.

Seeing as I have around 40 credits from them already, if I complete this course (18 weeks plus a 6 week paid externship OTR T/T) I get an AA degree in General Studies out of it. Hilarious. Total cost is $3200 with the college credits.

I get a CDL-A with a Hazmat endorsement out of it. And the campus is less than 1/2 mile from my house. Sweet.:D

Anybody have any opinions on the courses? Looks pretty thorough AND I'll get paid for 6 weeks to drive around and see if I like life on the road.:cool:

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think it is a great idea, get some people to really learn things the right way. I would think that if they offer a way to study for the doubles and tanker endorsement, it would be even better.

By the way, the trucking schools here seem to charge $4000 plus to teach you, but sitting in their logging class at one school, I learned more at the counter at one of the local truck stops.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
It's a great deal. My son went thru a community college near
our home town and completed the 6 weeks course. They REALLY teach you how to drive there. It was free also. He got in under a scholarship. He had excellent teachers and equipment to drive. Really knew how to back up when he left there also.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I went through a course similar to that at a community college in California when I was in the Marines. When we finished we had everything endorsement there is. Except passanger.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Well, here's something that's kind of funny:

Pima Community College : Professional Truck Driver - Certificate

My local community college (I think the 5th largest in the country) has a truck driver program for 23 college credits.

Seeing as I have around 40 credits from them already, if I complete this course (18 weeks plus a 6 week paid externship OTR T/T) I get an AA degree in General Studies out of it. Hilarious. Total cost is $3200 with the college credits.

I get a Hazmat and my CDL-A with Hazmat endorsement out of it. And the campus is less than 1/2 mile from my house. Sweet.:D

Anybody have any opinions on the courses? Looks pretty thorough AND I'll get paid for 6 weeks to drive around and see if I like life on the road.:cool:

Looks interesting, but...

-Ask how much time you get to spend behind the wheel. Note there is a difference between time in the truck and time operating the truck.

-Ask what the policy is if you fail to obtain your license the first time out and subsequent attempts.

-Speak with former students out of the program for their take on it.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Looks interesting, but...

-Ask how much time you get to spend behind the wheel. Note there is a difference between time in the truck and time operating the truck.

-Ask what the policy is if you fail to obtain your license the first time out and subsequent attempts.

-Speak with former students out of the program for their take on it.

Roger that, good advice.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Are you sure about the cost? I checked into that course years ago, 7 weeks, full time - 40hrs/week and $5000.........probably almost 10 years ago now. I ended up getting mine the old fashioned way, read the book and tested in the same truck I drove every day at work. LOL

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
If it as advertised, it sounds like a good deal. There is nothing like a degree. You may not want it or need it now, but it's there for your use in the future if you ever want it or need it. Remember, an AA degree is a half of a bachelor's degree.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Are you sure about the cost? I checked into that course years ago, 7 weeks, full time - 40hrs/week and $5000.........probably almost 10 years ago now. I ended up getting mine the old fashioned way, read the book and tested in the same truck I drove every day at work. LOL

Yep, checked into that. $3200 for 160 hours of training, 23 college credits (plus 6 paid weeks of an externship $2400 or so)

There is nothing like a degree. You may not want it or need it now, but it's there for your use in the future if you ever want it or need it. Remember, an AA degree is a half of a bachelor's degree.

And its just about as worthless as a bachelor's degree in learning how to succeed in real life.;)

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
And its just about as worthless as a bachelor's degree in learning how to succeed in real life.;)[/QUOTE]

It's not worthless when it comes to getting a job in the real world. Alot of good paying jobs won't touch someone without any higher education. Maybe not where driving a truck is considered, but in other areas. It doesn't guarentee you will succeed, but it doesn't hurt. It takes a lot of job experience to get considered for some jobs that require a 4 year degree with no experience.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Higher education never hurts,even if your goal is to be the shower attendant at the Flying J.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I know a guy that has a 4 year degree and works as a cashier manager at Wal-Mart. Good guy. He went to school to be a minister and it didn't work out after graduation.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I just cannot hold back. A Ministers Degree, a Degree is only good in the field that one has studied in for future employment: Now see below Rule of life.

Unless the Rule of Life comes into play:

Its not what you know:::: But WHO you know.

If one is planning on making a living its pretty smart to follow ones education or is it? See above.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Several years ago I drove for a company in Orlando . I often drove by the community college CDL school there and was impressed with the variety of equipment they had which included flatbeds and tankers . Of course I knew drivers certified in FL had no experience with steep grades or winter driving . Our company hired a recent graduate from this school to drive one of our semi's . I was assigned to ride with him to teach him the routes and unloading procedures . He was by far the worst driver I have ever seen . If there were 2 lanes to turn left at a light he would get in a left lane . He blew by a driver standing by his truck on the shoulder at the speed limit in the right lane even though the left lane was clear . Eventually I told him I would do the rest of the driving . While I was in getting bills signed after a delivery he backed my truck into a ditch while trying to turn around ! I called the school and blasted them for turning this idiot loose on the highway . They admitted they had to let him retry several tests to pass . How do you "retest" out in real world situations ? Has anybody ever heard of anyone failing a driving school ? To me the certificate is meaningless .

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If you go on line to the "Springfield News Leader" MO. Look in the classifieds under help wanted drivers, there are at least half a dozen Companies that offer free training for CDL class A.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
To me the certificate is meaningless .

You had one experience with a bad driver from a school and you dismiss the entire idea? I would think it's a good idea to get students with a lot of theoretical knowledge in their heads before they get in the truck for the real training...

I do agree that the certificate won't get me a better job or even an interview...its just nice that if I do it, I might as well get the degree out of it when I'm done.

If you go on line to the "Springfield News Leader" MO. Look in the classifieds under help wanted drivers, there are at least half a dozen Companies that offer free training for CDL class A.

Don't they make you pay it back anyways in the form of low pay for a long time? I'd rather self-pay and have my options open, but thanks for the idea.:)

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
It is my understanding the person getting the free schooling are required to stay with the carrier. I believe but am not positive it's for a year, if the person were to leave sooner they would be responsible for the school cost. I do not know if it's pro rated.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
For the kind soul (s) who installed the "EO Works for Me" logo for me. THANK YOU SO MUCH!