CB Radio Voices Following Me Around

G

I know that the sense in the expediter world is that the CB is the ghetto of trucking and it is an unfortunate necessity for traffic and bear information.

What I have started to think though when I leave it on for a while is that there are really only about five guys who are following me around and I just keep overhearing the same exchanges. The five voices are as follows: (1) the professional trucker providing traffic and bear information in an efficient and businesslike manner, numbers (2) and (3) are two guys talking about what they don't like about trucking, carriers, regulation, highways,, their wives, the government, etc., number (4) is completely indecipherable but ever-present and number (5) is the magpie on his Wolfman Jack Galaxy reverb unit expounding on any number of distasteful topics. I don't know what it is about that echo effect but it gives the speaker's drawl a sinister quality.

Some of the worst stuff I hear on the CB is racial stuff directed at different drivers. I just wish some of those guys would try a LITTLE harder to be civilized.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Number 6 The guy who constantly brags about how he told the DOT inspector he didn't have time for an inspection.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Don't forget the preachers and folks that want you to listen to THEIR music through your cb.

Davekc

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
LOL-you all forgot "Cooome On" Man... He follows us everywhere...coome on...

mcbride-

G

I've got a record from my parents' 1970s collection that was available only at Radio Shack and it is a collection of songs paying homage to the CB radio. Listening to it today is pretty amusing.

Here's a sample:

"Now ahead of your children
And ahead of your wife
On the list of the ten best things in life
Your CB's got to rank right around number four
Of course biscuits and beavers and Merle Haggard
Come one, two, three you know.

Well I was loaded down
Coming out of Lake City
I was checkin' out seat covers
Young and pretty
When wall to wall
I got a call
From my front door big bear tracker
He's said 'break one nine
Good buddy of mine
We got a smoky in a plain white wrapper'"

Pretty good stuff.

The song from Convoy was on the record. That's the only one anyone would recognize. I thought that Kris Kristofferson in Convoy was the epitome of cool for a long time, even after I realized how ridiculous the premise of the movie was.

Reporter: "Tell me, Mr. Duck, what is the purpose of the convoy?"

Rubber Duck: "The purpose of the convoy is to keep moving."

Great stuff.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They may not follow you around but don't forget the ever present solicitors in Memphis.

Leo
truck 4958
73 KE5FJG

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
And don't forget that guy that "Ain't got no panties on"...

hdl

Expert Expediter
When I was pulling a pnuematic trailer a fellow driver with the same company installed a $500 radio in his truck. Maybe it's just me, but I figure that if you spend that much money that radio should be at least as clear as a land line. But no, this thing has a built in echo function. Doesn't make any sense to me.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Don't leave out "Shut Up Stupid". The panties guy just kills me. There are two of those one who says it loudly and one who whispers. I think I like the quite one a bit better.

I still wish you all would just turn it on when you see another Expediter. I always have mine on and say hello normally to dead air.

This is off the subject but at one of my picks and drops on my route I always run into Panther Cargo Vans. They pickup a load that goes from Faxon in Forest Park, Ohio to Chrysler in Kokomo, In. What is with better than 50% of them? They do not seem to be very freindly. I try to converse a bit and get the cold shoulder. There was a guy who came in there a couple nights ago in a Sprinter, a nice one buy the way, and I said how ya doin and he would not even acknowledge.

HMMMMMM lets see. No one answers the CB call and most will not say hi at that stop. AH Ha its me.

Raceman
OTR O/O

finney

Expert Expediter
I've been listening to one since '74 and the terms "Ratchet Jaw" and "Motor Mouth" were in use then. At that time I believe you still had to apply for a license to 'legally' operate a CB, although I think they phased that out not too long after. I really don't recall when that was, but I do remember applying for one and committing my call numbers to memory. Huh. Sometimes that seems like a hundred years ago.

Anyway, I mostly just listen. It's amazing. Where else could you get the scoop on why the US doesn't invade 'Cuber?' It's because Cuber (I'm assuming it's the island about 90 miles south of Florida) has ten times the military might of the US. The fascinating thing about this was that the person he was talking to agreed. OK.

There's not a thing you can do about all the BS on the radio 'cept go 10-7, and if you actually listen to it rather than just filter out what you want I believe you would be driven insane.

My only complaint is that it takes so long to find a driver out there sometimes. You can call for an opposite bound vehicle for quite some time usually, and it irks me. If someone hollers for me (directionally, not specifically), I answer; I don't know that a tanker didn't lay 'er down around the bend or that Farmer Brown's prize 2000 lb. Angus isn't standing in the road (hit a horse once in WV). Last time I looked (and I admit I am not a rancher), cattle did not come with reflectors. Why would you just sit there and not respond when someone tries to give you information? Can't figure that one out. It may (well, it is, actually) be prickish of me, but I'll holler for opposite bound to tell 'em about a bear, but I won't say anything if I don't get a reply. Now traffic accidents, ice, or something where someone could get hurt I'll just say, but a bear I won't if I don't get a kickback.

OK, one more complaint just to get it off my chest. I cannot recall the number of times I've had a bear go sailing by me at night where I was cruising along at about 10 over (which is as far as I'll go, dependant on what the set speed is; I'm talking about the Buckeye in a big truck, in this case) and not one of my good trucker buddies behind me said a word. Same goes for a bear comin' at ya. Now I run a decent Grant with a 250 kicker with the receive button on and my squelch wide open, so it's not like I had 'em tuned out, and I seldom listen to the jukebox except for local traffic, so it's not like I run around without it on. Nary a word.

Oh well.

It comes and goes as far as things commonly said, BTW. For instance, you don't hear nearly the 'Bubba-Bouys' or 'Pretty red nightgown' that you did just two years ago, and two years from now you won't hear the same number of 'Git-er-dones' or 'I ain't got no panties on' that you hear now. Don't fret, though; there'll be something else the morons are saying that will be equally pointless.

BTW, handle's Einstein, had the same one since '74, and I've yet to say 10-4 on the radio. Gimmie a holler, I'll be in a Sprinter with FedExCC on it.

finney

Jack Jackson

Expert Expediter
Wow, I almost got misty eyed hearing you talk about the "old days".

Sounds like we have been twisting steering wheels about the same number of years. You also sound like someone worth turning the CB on for, and getting a good conversation going.

Hope to see you on the super slab soon.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The guys that follow me are constantly debateing which one of them is the bigger a-hole. It is really annoying and causes me to turn off my radio seconds after I turn it on. I remember the days of the license, KCX 2004. I can't beleive I still remember that.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There was that lady that seemed to hang out in every truck stop, day and night. The voice would say "Anyone interested in some quality company, come back".She seemed to be everywhere for awhile.

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
IT JUST NEVER FAILS TO AMAZE ME HOW A SIMPLE ELECTRONIC DEVICE KNOWN AS THE C.B. CAN TURN GROWN ADULTS INTO COMPLETE MORONS.

WHITEWOLF53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD
:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

G

I think the truth is a lot of them were complete morons to begin with and the CB gives them an outlet.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Amen! I was glad to have a CB in my 4 wheeler in the late 70's, but I learned to keep my mouth shut - a female voice made the morons get even stupider, if that's possible. I didn't have one again until I started to drive a t/t a few years ago, and they hadn't got any more intelligent, either! Mostly, I prefer listening to the music I take with me, so I don't turn the CB on, but now that I drive a van (for ConWay Now, with some small, tasteful flames on each side), I will "holler" if I see another expediter. BTW, my handle was/is Butterfingers - don't ask. :p

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The one that follows me around, has a BIG ilegal radio. His only purpose is to disrupt communications for as far as he can.

G

I was listening to the echoing redneck Wolfman Jack that follows me around the other day and we were both near Nashville. Another voice came on the CB and said "driver, your radio could not sound any worse." I wanted to grap the mic and start screaming: "Believe me, it sounded just as bad in Detroit, Indianapolis, Tampa, Dallas, Memphis, Akron, Greenville......"

Chry65

Expert Expediter
I agree with author who mentioned the CB user that uses racist remarks. It's sad and rediculous.

I am a trailer jockey (camper delivery), and during a recent trip I encountered some of the worst racist remarks I have ever heard on the CB. I will not go into them, but I found it disgusting and wonder how some individuals can be so cruel. Yes, I did turn the CB off even though I was searching for some local traffic info. I resorted to the local AM dial on my radio where there is still some civility.

In light of recent events here in our great country we need to stick together even more. Strength in numbers no matter what your race or origin.

Also, while on the CB topic, I have been slammed big time by many guys driving the big trucks when entering the scales. They think I don't belong and I am delaying them from going through. I, too, am a commercial vehicle while under load and display my ICC and DOT numbers clearly on my doors. I maintain logs just like the guys in the big trucks do. Not all guys in the big trucks slam me though, I do occasionally get support from them, for that I thank them. I'm just trying to do my job too.

All in all, my CB spends most of the time in the "off" position unless in the case of an emergency. Just wish that the few idiots out there would develop some respect toward one another.

Drive safe!!

ryan8374

Expert Expediter
What's your gross weight? Over 10,000lbs, you shouldn't be required to log or scale regardless of the ICC/DOT being displayed. Also, if campers are over 10,000lbs, why are the owners not required to log or scale? We do.