cb help needed

denny2010

Expert Expediter
I have a cobra 29 ex na st..it turns on and that's it..was working. Before wife teamed with me..I don't know anything about it nor am I blaming her..lol.....just need help...thanks dennis

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I say blame the wife. I like to, but the caveat is that it usually ends with a collision that is somewhat painful.

That's my loony in the lake.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The first thing to do is go through all the dials and switches to make sure they're where they should be. Also, check that the coax isn't loose.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
A few weeks ago I was sitting in the truck stop parking spot and the guy next to me was cussing up a storm because his CB wasn't working. He was beating the mic against the dash and having a fit. He gets out and slams the door - walks to the truck stop. I went in to get my morning "health food" and ended up walking out with him right behind me. He said something to me and was complaining about his CB so when we got to our trucks, so I told him in a calm manner "you don't have an antenna, just a stub". He looked and started to cuss because he missed it.

The moral of the story is

Check your antenna first.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Ok...I have my antennas ..switches r where they should be..I key the mic and the dial thingie..lol...moves on nothing works but that..thanks let's make this happen ....dennis

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok...I have my antennas ..switches r where they should be..I key the mic and the dial thingie..lol...moves on nothing works but that..thanks let's make this happen ....dennis

Turn up the volumn and turn down the squelch.

denny2010

Expert Expediter

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you sure all the switches are in the correct positions? Is S/RF-SWR-Cal switch in the S/RF position? I believe the Cobra 29 has an antenna alert light. Does it light up red when keying the mike? What about the receive/transmit light? Do you have a power mike? If so check the volume adjustment and the battery.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Make sure you havent turned off the Internal speaker, or if you have an external speaker be sure its plugged in, wires not been cut etc, be sure the SQUELCH is turned down lowest setting, volume is up...antenna SWR is correct, make sure you havent activated the PA circuit or something silly....look for a bad connection on your mic cable, or Antenna cables.....if you were operating it and the SWR was high and you never tuend your antennas you may have burned it out, time to find a shop.
Try connecting it to someone elses antennas or truck.....Radios can be affected by water, shorts, a voltage spike, sounds like a trip to a repair shop is in order or buy a better radio...