caution, cash-strapped states resorting to open thievery

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
( voice transcription software in use)

In addition to Pennsylvania sending bills to drivers for ridiculous things, things they might not be legally allowed to bill for, Illinois is stealing from drivers on the tollway.

Last week, I went through a toll facility, one at which you toss your coins into a basket. Once you've tossed in the correct amount, the light is supposed to turn green and you're supposed to be on your way. Until you throw in the correct amount, the light will stay red, and if you proceed, you'll get a citation in the mail. If you don't send them the toll right away, they send you another bill for $20. If you ignore that, it turns into 50 dollars. Ignore too many of those citations, and your license will be suspended. And it doesn't matter why you didn't send it in, like maybe you're a truck driver and aren't home when the notice arrives...

So the other day, I go through one of these facilities and toss in the correct amount of change, but the light does not turn green. Figuring I may have miscounted, I toss in a couple more coins. Still, the light does not turn green. I toss in a couple more, and still the light doesn't turn green. Now it's becoming unacceptably expensive, more so than the original ripoff. Not sure how long this could go on, and not willing to pay more, I drove on. Of course, my picture was taken and I'll get the bill in the mail unless they admit that their equipment was malfunctioning.

I figured it would be a good idea if I called them and told them that it was malfunctioning. If they get dozens of reports that that machine is not working, that should be enough to negate the violation, right? So I called them later, and a perfectly reasonable-sounding young lady informed me that there is no procedure in place for them to document reports of malfunctioning equipment and match them against violations, but that if I wanted to be sure to not get a violation, I could go online and pay the toll again. That's right, pay the toll again to not get fined for a violation I didn't commit.

"You mean just pay the toll twice? Really? That's what you're telling me?" She assured me it was. "That's quite a nice scam you've got going there," I said. "I wish I had thought of that."

I expected her to react with offense. Actually, I was hoping to offend her, but being the professional customer service person that she was, if she was offended, she didn't let on.

On another occasion, I was traveling down 355 at 0-dark-thirty. I came upon the toll plaza and pulled in to pay the extortion fee. The booth was unmanned, and there was a note on the window saying that this was an experimental program, and that to pay the toll I should go online and pay it with my credit card or mail it in within 7 days, or it would be a violation costing me $20-$50. Well, among Illinois residents, it's common knowledge that the tollway authority is akin to organized crime, and there's no way I'm giving these *******s my credit card number. Nor should I have to add the cost of a stamp and envelope to my toll. Being that I was in the area anyway, I decided to make a special trip to their headquarters in Downer's Grove to pay the toll in person. Yes, I know there's added expense involved in that, too, but I decided it was the least painful of the options.

When you go there to pay a missed toll, there's a card you fill out with your license plate number, the location of the toll plaza, and the date and time of the "violation." You put it in an envelope, and drop it in the box they have in the lobby. There's no way to pay an actual person and get a receipt. So I did all that, all for 2 dollars, and not having a receipt, and knowing what criminals these people are, I thought, "Even money this doesn't get credited and I get a violation notice." Sure enough, a short time later, I got a violation notice. Being that I was under the threshold of violations for which you can get your license suspended, I threw the notice away, and they will never collect. But it sure does show a pattern, doesn't it? Collect money from you, not credit you with it, and then send you a bill for several times the amount.

A couple weeks ago, there was a storm that rolled through the Chicago area. It was during the heart of the horrid heatwave there during which temperatures reached triple digits several days in a row. My sister lives up there, and told me how bad it was. So this storm rolls through, and knocks power out to hundreds of thousands of residents. I went to my sister's to help her salvage the food in her freezers. She lives right off the tollway, and I could hit this toll plaza with the rock from her backyard. Well, maybe not that close, but pretty darn close. The whole neighborhood is dark, and yet guess what Com-Ed restored power to first... people suffering in their homes in 100 degree heat, and yet the tollway plaza's power was restored.

We're going to see more of this as states become more starved for cash.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Illinois has a good scam going on there. But be on the lookout for the Atlantic states - NY being number one. Among their "beyond IFTA road tax" and their "You like soda pop, do you? tax"; here are some that you might not be aware of...

The "didn't turn left from the right lane" tax. Most NYers avoid this tax.
The "non-anal-retentive" tax. Apparently, you have to be a jackwagon in NY. It's the law.
The "Haha! I see your underwear" tax.
The "breastfeeding in public" food tax.
And the ever-so-soon to be popular "conservative" tax. The tax itself isn't conservative... it's chargable to conservatives who say uber-conservative things, like "Give me liberty, or give me death." Oh yeah... saying "liberty" automatically doubles said tax.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if this is a good time to say I have one of those I-Pass thingies. I pay half of what I would have to pay if I paid in cash on the Illinois tollway, and in Indiana they add three cents to the toll. In EZ Pass territory the toll is the same whether electronic or cash, but the I-Pass tag is recognized so I don't have to worry about whether the toll was paid or not.

When I saw the headline, I thought you meant the states were pilfering cargo. I wouldn't put it past some of these locals, but nope, it's a complaint about the tolls.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
When that happens to me I shove a stick down the "TAX HOLE" basket and it gives me the green light every time. (look first to see if it is jammed and if it is, just shove the stick without paying and you get a free toll as well as fixing their jam).I keep the stick for that very purpose. Usually some one has jammed it with cash or threw a bunch of pennies down in it. Shoving the stick down their tax hole also makes me feel better.

Last edited:

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I love the "Opera of the Panicing Toll Payers". The curtain goes up as the toll gate doesn't. Almost immeaditly cars are backing up against traffic, veichles are slashing left and right to avoid the affected lane (now lanes as gridlock developes), heros are running with cash in hand towards the villianous machine that created this monstrosity, amazing strings of cuss words are permeating the air and in the background 500 cars horns are blaring. I haven't been expediting latley and I sure do miss these magical moments.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Back when I delivered for the Home depot I often had to run tollways thru Dallas heading North and these tollways are all Unmanned, I see people blasting thru them all the time, throwing rocks, Nuts, Bolts etc. It got so bad they actually did a story on the scofflaws and that they were now video taping what was being thrown in and etc....I got to one f these toll plazas at about 4 am one night and didnt have enough change, I thought Ive got a couple washers here and Ill use one and get thru the toll plaza, a week later I get a letter in the mail saying they were going to bill me to repair the mechanism since my handful of nuts and bolts had damaged the machine.

I was in Dallas 2-3 times a week running out of St Louis so I went to the Dept of Parking and Enforcement and asked to see the evidence against me. The man plays a video tape of my GREEN TOYOTA pulling up and throwing a serious handful of 1/4 20 Nuts, Bolts, Washers into the basket.
I proceeded to explain I didnt drive a GREEN TOYOTA and pointed outside to my Mack Condo Semi and Curtainside trailer, a quick call from my boss and letter swearing I was not the owner of the green toyota and I was off....somehow they had garbled the data, Pics and License plates werent mathed, yet I can imagine the hundreds maybe thousands who recieved these letters and threats who just paid the fines....

TOLL ROADS are the biggest scam since GOVERNMENT itself......I listened to a THINK TANK fellow the other day talk about Tolling I 70 and oterh main hiways, it will solve all problems new roads will, be built, Money coffers will overflow....and then the radio host took a call from a Chicago resident who proceeded to ask WHERE has the Billions of dollars raised gone in Chicago....where are the road repairs, and where are the coffers of money.....they went to commercial, and then lost the Genius think tankers cell phone signal, and the program ended....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if this is a good time to say I have one of those I-Pass thingies.
It is an excellent time to mention you have an I-Pass thingy. It is also an excellent time to recommend that any expediter that travels tollways that recognize I- Pass or EZ-Pass should get one for all the reasons you mentioned and probably a whole bunch more!

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just wait a few more weeks when New York State Thruway and the bridge authorities get the OK to jack TRUCK TOLLS 40 % FOURTY PERCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Back when I delivered for the Home depot I often had to run tollways thru Dallas heading North and these tollways are all Unmanned, I see people blasting thru them all the time, throwing rocks, Nuts, Bolts etc. ...I got to one f these toll plazas at about 4 am one night and didnt have enough change, I thought Ive got a couple washers here and Ill use one and get thru the toll plaza, a week later I get a letter in the mail saying they were going to bill me to repair the mechanism since my handful of nuts and bolts had damaged the machine.
The Chicago machines used to accept Necco Wafers, the candy. They were just the right size to be mistaken for quarters. The ITA used to have an employee standing outside at each plaza, before ORT thankfully came along. One day, I asked him if he had change for a Necco Wafer, and he said the machines had been adjusted to not take them anymore.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Tolls need to be billed back to the customer unless the carrier covers them for company drivers and/or O/Os.
If you build them into the rate percentage paid people get the short end again.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Chicago machines used to accept Necco Wafers, the candy. They were just the right size to be mistaken for quarters.
I'm having some difficulty buying into this one. Is this anecdotal or do you swear on a stack of Bibles, no finger crossing, that you threw Necco Wafers into an Illinois Tollway coin collector and and got a GO?

I haven't seen a Necco since my youth in the mid 1960's. I guess they were close in size to a quarter. Coin acceptance mechanisms do rely on size (diameter) as one parameter, weight is also a crucial parameter. Even if a Necco Wafer was to get accepted initially because of size, I've gotta believe it would be mostly dust before it entered the secondary acceptance stage, even if its weight allowed it to get that far. Personally, most of the flavors were horrible! I'd buy a roll, eat a few, taking extra care to avoid the tan/brown ones. The remaining wafers got taped to fishing line, hung from our open basement ceiling and shot at with my Daisy 1894 BB gun.

The ITA used to have an employee standing outside at each plaza, before ORT thankfully came along. One day, I asked him if he had change for a Necco Wafer, and he said the machines had been adjusted to not take them anymore.
Again I would ask if this anecdotal, but you stated: "One day, I asked him if he had change for a Necco Wafer". I, that would be me, Moot, assume the "I" in the above quote is you, AMonger. I am also assuming, maybe incorrectly, that this verbal exchange actually took place between you and said ITA standing outside a toll plaza. Did I get this correct?

I started running the Illinois Tollway in 1981, a long, long, long time before open road tolling. All major thru plazas were manned and are still currently manned. Back then, as is now, some off/on ramps are cash only. No human toll takers.

How old are you? How long have you been using the Illinois Tollway? Have you ever eaten a Necco Wafer? Have you ever seen, up close and personal a Necco Wafer? Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Have you ever eaten a Necco Wafer? Have you ever seen, up close and personal a Necco Wafer? Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?

Is a Necco Wafer even something real?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Of course Necco Wafers are real. In true Ragman fashion I will supply the proof:

necco.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Communists are real also! They have infiltrated our law enforcement agencies, our churches, local and national elected offices and they eat Necco Waffers.
.Communists-Marching.jpg

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I'm having some difficulty buying into this one. Is this anecdotal or do you swear on a stack of Bibles, no finger crossing, that you threw Necco Wafers into an Illinois Tollway coin collector and and got a GO?
I have never, myself, done so, but using them was a common practice around Chitown.
... Coin acceptance mechanisms do rely on size (diameter) as one parameter, weight is also a crucial parameter. Even if a Necco Wafer was to get accepted initially because of size, I've gotta believe it would be mostly dust before it entered the secondary acceptance stage, even if its weight allowed it to get that far.
I would have thought so, too. But apparently, the machines used a primitive acceptance protocol until recently.

Again I would ask if this anecdotal, but you stated: "One day, I asked him if he had change for a Necco Wafer". I, that would be me, Moot, assume the "I" in the above quote is you, AMonger.
Correct.
I am also assuming, maybe incorrectly, that this verbal exchange actually took place between you and said ITA standing outside a toll plaza. Did I get this correct?
Again, correctamundo. And he replied that they no longer worked in the machines.
I started running the Illinois Tollway in 1981, a long, long, long time before open road tolling. All major thru plazas were manned and are still currently manned. Back then, as is now, some off/on ramps are cash only. No human toll takers.
Aaaaahhhhhh, the daily backups at the cashboxes...anybody miss them?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
When I saw the headline, I thought you meant the states were pilfering cargo. I wouldn't put it past some of these locals, but nope, it's a complaint about the tolls.
The tolls are bad enough in and of themselves, but multiplying non-violations into $20-$50 or telling you to pay twice to avoid getting a violation you didn't even commit...that's organized crime, and under the color of law.

Last edited:

rotcaal

Active Expediter
yeah this country is going down the tubes for sure. It started with prohibition I suppose, a genius government idea. Of course also we arent able to manufacture our own televisions, and many other things i'm not going to list. I mean is it the legal system we have or just plain the lazy nature of the usa along with the seemingly lack of accountability. I don't think the usa will ever "fail" whatever that means or implies, but it just isn't working when our homeless and starving continue homeless and starving yet we can spend billions in foreign countries helping those people all for diplomatic relations.