CAT 3126 Swap to Gas

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Think I would shop that rebuild. $15,000 is way too high.
Might be able to find a low mile one or find a low mile C7 which would also work.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You'll also have to check in to EPA laws. Dumping a gas engine in to a 2000 truck means all sorts of smog changes to get it up to snuff. The fines for selling it with out them (if someone complains) is nothing compared to the cost of a rebuild.

Actually not really. The EPA will say "Sure you can't" but there isn't a problem with medium or heavy duty trucks until 2007. What matters is the engine, so sticking an engine say from 1983 in a 2000 meduim duty truck is still OK.

What matters is the fuel tanks and fuel system, that is the only thing that needs to be brought up to emission standards.

ScottSTL

Active Expediter
Actually not really. The EPA will say "Sure you can't" but there isn't a problem with medium or heavy duty trucks until 2007. What matters is the engine, so sticking an engine say from 1983 in a 2000 meduim duty truck is still OK.

What matters is the fuel tanks and fuel system, that is the only thing that needs to be brought up to emission standards.

Good info!

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Try ebay 00 CATERPILLAR 3126 ENGINE | eBay

or call plunks salvage in jackson, ms they have 3126 at times.

Hello, i'm new to this forum and currently have a 2000 GMC box truck with a CAT 3126. The truck is in the shop right now with a scored cylinder, i'm thinking of replacing it with a 454 Chevy just to get it moving again. The shop wants $15,000 for a rebuild on the 3126, i think i'll pass.

Has anyone done a swap like this before? I want to run my Allison if possible but not sure if it could be bolted up to the big block.

Also I plan on parting out the entire engine on ebay, so if anyone needs parts for a 3126, let me know!

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
I think doing a drive-line swap is going to be more trouble than it's worth. If you're going to a different Engine, you'll need a different tranny. if you get a different tranny, you'll need your drive-shaft modified most likely.

You also run into all of the different computer-controlled elements (the dash being just one of the issues). My 3126 truck has an electric gas pedal. So you're looking at new linkage for that, maybe a whole new pedal. Same with the transmission control. Motor mounts will be different. If that truck came with a 454 as an option you can probably order a lot of the parts for the swap, but finding them used might be tricky, so you might be into a lot of new parts for the conversion. If the 454 didn't come as an option, you'll need to fabricate all this stuff. Then there's fuel delivery, engine accessories, etc.

I recently switched a '62 impala with a 235/Powerglide to a SBC/turbo 350 and there was a lot of work involved. And that's a combo that's on the simpler end of things. Lots of unintended consequences to a driveline swap.

Find a used 3126 or shop a cheaper rebuild. I bet a whole parts truck would be cheaper/easier than the 454 thing.

Deville

Not a Member
LOL, yeah i was only getting 8.5mpg with the 3126. I figure a solid 5 with the gas motor. Gas is cheaper than diesel though right??? lol

I have the same year truck as you. When i was getting 8.5 mpg on my truck it was in need of a vavle adjustment.

8ballexpress

Active Expediter
You need to do more math on the "Gas is cheaper than diesel" theory. I run a F-350 hotshot truck powered by a V-10 that averages 6.5 mpg. Most guys running the diesels (Fords and Dodges) are getting 11 mpg. Using current fuel prices posted at the top of the forum page, the cost of gas is 56 cents per mile. The diesel cost per mile would be about 35 cents per mile.
I only bought the gasser cause it fell in my lap at a real good price, and just starting my own business, I was a bit short on cash. After a year in business, I can't wait to get out of this gas guzzler.