Cat 3126 power boost.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Well i just found out the other day that you can boost the little cat engines up to around 300HP, so those with lower power can now have some help climbing hills and getting up to speed. I hear all you have to do is take it into the cat dealer and they reprogram the computers tables and then walla. MORE HP and TORQUE...

Now only if my fleet owners would let me and my buddies mess with the engine. I bet it would be more like 400HP!!!! :+

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As long as your truck isn't under warranty they will do it. They also have a aftermarket version that will work as well. Not sure on the standard 3126, but I believe they can do it on the newer C7's.
www.pittsburghpower.com

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
3126 has several hp/torque settings from 190 to 330 hp i forget the torque ranges be aware that there are different injectors and turbos after a certain hp I think it is 250 hp, also in the higher hp ratings watch for overheating if you don't go to a larger radiator, one other thing if you max it out as I did on the last one I had under a heavy load because of the small aftercooler I actually collapsed one of the hoses climbing up jellico with a heavy load good luck with it. P.S. not every cat dealer will do it either the on in Columbia S.C. will do it at a reasonable price or at least they did a few years ago

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
The cooling system was just freshly serviced a few months ago. Also i'm very curious as to how you collapsed a hose? This truck is stock with the 250HP so there is no turbo or injector upgrades required.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What I found but may be wrong, is that cat does not really recommend pushing the engine to the limit of it's power range. Yea the dealer will do what ever you want but there is a limit to the 3126 due to its design but again the dealer derives his income from repairs of engines with the bigger repairs being the top money maker for them.

Cat had a publication out a while ago that explained that the 3126 and other models of that engine design were made for specific operating conditions and the higher horse power ratings were only used for limited applications due to the shortening of the engine life. One application was emergency vehicles where they are used for a short time and PM is done a lot more than average city truck.

Cummins also has the same issue with the ISC, if you want a long life, don't mess with the engine.

So I would say if you want to get more than 500K out of your engine, don't mess with it. It does not make sense to take a chance on it unless you, yourself has the ability to rebuild the engine and properly blue print it to ensure that it stays together.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
On a 3126, cooling capicity is the biggest issue if you are going to increase the horsepower. That is the biggest difference you will see at the 300-330 hp range. Cat does well with a high RPM range for extended periods of time. That is why you see them in alot of marine applications. A twin 3126 set in a 35-40 footer will move it along quite nicely.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
What i was told is the only difference between the 300HP and 250HP is the programing. So i cant see how this is going to be any different then if you bought the 300HP model. I even checked out 2 trucks mine and a 300HP and there isnt a difference, not with turbo/radiators/intercoolers so i'm thinking these should be litte problems with this beside maybe running alittle warmer.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
actually greg is right 300 hp is the max. recomended for long haul applications, the rest of my info came from a factory rep, when I was getting one redone after dropping a valve which is a very common thing with the 31296 the larger turbo and injectors come into play at either 230 or 250 hp. the rest of it was his recommendation to extend the life of the engine he also said that this engine wasn't a real good choice for the uses we use them for of course I was stuck with it and made the best of it but now learning an expensive lesson and having run this current truck with a c-10 I would never consider any smaller engine this motor has been great and after 700,000 still doesn't burn a drop of oil and hasn't have any repairs other than normal maintenance