Carriers the blame

astikhossw

Seasoned Expediter
Are carriers really the blame for lower freight rates or is it the owner operators or the drivers for owner operators.I would figure if a owner of a truck would not settle on a lower rate that he can not run his truck under that rate would "nt be there.This is something that is discussed all the time here owner of trucks pointing fingers at the carriers, i contend we should look at ourselves.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The blame can be placed wherever one chooses and a good argument can be made for all points. In the end bills must be paid and a person can only say no for so long in which case your looking at who has the deeper pockets to hold out and my guess in most cases that is the carrier.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
GEE...me in my lowly CV just ran 791 miles including DH and Loaded...All miles paid at $!.28 per mile.....and while that islower then my avg since putting this van in service March 25th, I certainly don't consider that or my avg "low rates"....:rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
GEE...me in my lowly CV just ran 791 miles including DH and Loaded...All miles paid at $!.28 per mile.....and while that is lower then my avg since putting this van in service March 25th, I certainly don't consider that or my avg "low rates"....:rolleyes:

You don't have a lowly CV Dennis....$1.28 is spot on what I think should be the normal rate....this buck or less is garbage.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Are carriers really the blame for lower freight rates or is it the owner operators or the drivers for owner operators.I would figure if a owner of a truck would not settle on a lower rate that he can not run his truck under that rate would "nt be there.This is something that is discussed all the time here owner of trucks pointing fingers at the carriers, i contend we should look at ourselves.

I won't lay this at the feet of ALL independent, single unit fleets - but some tend to haul freight that carriers couldn't touch with their deepest discounts. They don't have to support sales, safety, dispatch, operations etc.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I won't lay this at the feet of ALL independent, single unit fleets - but some tend to haul freight that carriers couldn't touch with their deepest discounts. They don't have to support sales, safety, dispatch, operations etc.

Correct....if a carrier needs a 30-35% margin to make money....after operating costs, a single operator can do the same load 30% cheaper...in theory.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Once again the blame is laid at the feet of small independent carriers. It makes good talk at the truckstop and with recruiters, but not really the truth. I have been making a point to ask a customer what they get the load done for when we have lost a bid. Not all, but most times it was a major, not a minor, who was willing to lowball the load.

Had a Bolt agent offer to move any van freight I had for $.50 per mile.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Once again the blame is laid at the feet of small independent carriers. It makes good talk at the truckstop and with recruiters, but not really the truth. I have been making a point to ask a customer what they get the load done for when we have lost a bid. Not all, but most times it was a major, not a minor, who was willing to lowball the load.

Had a Bolt agent offer to move any van freight I had for $.50 per mile.

No Jeff...more like targeting the single van operator that has lower operating costs....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got this really dumb question -

Why do you van people think that $1.30 a mile is good?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
cause i only need about $.42 per mile to move my van...when you are on VACATION, all you need is enough to pay for the gas...:D

Last edited:

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
They don't have to support sales, safety, dispatch, operations etc.

That is a uniformed and narrow view of running a trucking company, whether a single truck company or a company of many trucks. We provision for sales, safety, dispatch, operations etc. just as other, larger truck companies do.