Cargo vans again !

Wayjan

Active Expediter
I know it has been beat to death, but Is there a market for vans (not sprinters) out there a little later in the year ( say April on). I have a CDL A but after 40 years with log books, I feel that is enough.

I have a steady income stream and don't need to make a living with a van, I can stay out 3-5 weeks at a time no problem. I want to see some more of this country , before I take the eternal dirt nap.

What are my options?

Falligator

Expert Expediter
If I had the chance to do this again I would have gone with a used van. I wouldn't buy new because the payments will still be there even if the van decides to crap out. If this is going to be a hobby thing then it may be something worth getting into. This time of the year isn't great as far as freight volume, so sitting 2-3 days waiting for another load isn't uncommon.

armin88

Expert Expediter
Most van folks I meet where older guys and gals and I think most of older drivers or former truckers who are not ready to hang up the CDL yet but don't want to deal with dot and logs get into cargo vans. I meet a husband and wife team once both where in there late 50's both had over 20 years exp in trucking but semi retired and bought a van and are doing well.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Hobby vanners with separate income streams are one of the reasons freight rates are depressed. If you run freight for reduced rates because you don't need much of an income, you're going to be hurting everyone around you.
In a van, you're going to sit a lot. In the busier season, maybe you get a few loads a week. In the slower season, maybe 1 or 2. So I can imagine you going stir crazy and accepting a cheap load to get moving. And that depresses rates even further. Problem for everybody.

Wayjan

Active Expediter
I understand your concern about depressed rates due to hobby drivers like me, but be assured I will not haul cheap freight. It may sound like I don't need to earn a living, but I have some rather expensive tastes that my retirement income will not cover.

guido4475

Not a Member
Why not look into hauling/pulling campers ? I see alot of retired guys doing that, and from what I see, it is alot more relaxed of an environment. I never really researched it, so it may be worth looking into. To be honest right now, the van/sprinter/cube market is flooded right now, or it always has been, and you may find out this is not what you had hoped it may be.Do they need to run logbooks? I think so, but not sure.

cubansammich

Not a Member
Funny how the Load 1 dudes are the ones who think they actually know something about what goes on with vans everywhere else other than Load 1. These folks all jumped on the band wagon over there and now when they aren't stroking Mr. Elliot or each other they are pontificating on everything from driving for multiple carriers to what rates one can make a profit, all things they couldn't possible have a clue about. No mention of fees, no mention of freight zones, no mention of the overhead. Rich! and I don't mean Peterson..

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Funny how the Load 1 dudes are the ones who think they actually know something about what goes on with vans everywhere else other than Load 1. These folks all jumped on the band wagon over there and now when they aren't stroking Mr. Elliot or each other they are pontificating on everything from driving for multiple carriers to what rates one can make a profit, all things they couldn't possible have a clue about. No mention of fees, no mention of freight zones, no mention of the overhead. Rich! and I don't mean Peterson..

Envy is the most stupid of vices, for there is no single advantage to be gained from it. ~Honore de Balzac

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Envy is the most stupid of vices, for there is no single advantage to be gained from it. ~Honore de Balzac

Well said. People are afraid of a little competition but whats really funny is how scared operators get with new people coming in. Half of the operators out there are inexperienced with van freight so what will it hurt? They don't know where the good freight is, they usually pull the freight no one else will touch. In the 45 yrs I have been trucking there are always people going to pull cheap freight and there's not a thing anyone can do about it, but when the chips are down and the shipper needs it bad enough they'll be remembered by the carriers and they will pay thru the nose. That's just the way it is. Regular C/Vans are on the way out and being replaced by their larger cousins little by little everyday.

Last edited:

cubansammich

Not a Member
Well said. People are afraid of a little competition but whats really funny is how scarred operators get with new people coming in. Half of the operators out there are inexperienced with van freight so what will it hurt? They don't know where the good freight is, they usually pull the freight no one else will touch. In the 45 yrs I have been trucking there are always people going to pull cheap freight and there's not a thing anyone can do about it, but when the chips are down and the shipper needs it bad enough they'll be remembered by the carriers and they will pay thru the nose. That's just the way it is. Regular C/Vans are on the way out and being replaced by their larger cousins little by little everyday.

I agree mostly. I do not believe vans are on the way out, at least as long as somebody still makes them! There is a niche, though it is a small one, that pretty much only a cargo van is going to be able to fill. Other vehicles will be priced out of the market. A single skid at let's say 600 lbs. is still best suited for a cargo van. Rates wax and wane, thoiugh they haven't waxed much lately. I believe in the coming years they will. The van is still, imho, the best way to get your feet wet in this business.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think concerned would be a better word then scared.... Downward pressure on the rates has been more concerning...

cubansammich

Not a Member
Why not look into hauling/pulling campers ? I see alot of retired guys doing that, and from what I see, it is alot more relaxed of an environment. I never really researched it, so it may be worth looking into. To be honest right now, the van/sprinter/cube market is flooded right now, or it always has been, and you may find out this is not what you had hoped it may be.Do they need to run logbooks? I think so, but not sure.

They do run log books as they are considered combination vehicles. The worst part is that deadhead miles are generally equal to loaded miles.