Cargo Van/ Sprinter

panrec

Seasoned Expediter
I don't know if you have talked to a recruiter at Panther? Be aware that many expedite companies will not take on cube vans. Panther happens to be one of them.

Pan Rec
Mike

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
You are right ...a B unit too small.....a cargo van under 10GVW with a sleeper leaves only 2000# for cargo....
a cargo van 14' Cube with 14GVW allows at least 4000# of cargo
on 4 pallets Now ,tell me how we drive 5hrs. on and 5hrs off Bear

you can't legally. hos is 11 drive hours in 14 hrs on duty and 10 in the sleeper. recently revised to 8 in sleeper and 2 in front seat but you have to make up the 2 somewhere else. before the fmcsa changed the hos teams could 5 and 5 with regularity.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
I run a 2002 GMC (Penske). Empty weight is 6800#. I average 11.5 mpg. My carrier pays 30 cents a mile more for cubes than they do vans. I haul alot of freight that could fit in a van but because it is called in as 3 skids. If they fail to give dimensions it automatically goes to a cube. I have hauled numerous 30x30 skids. But hey I'll take the money. I do not regret going with this set-up. Good luck in your endeavors.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have a question for Sprinter owners, how are they on Ice, Snow, or other slippery surfaces? I own a E 350 Ford when it's loaded it will go about anywhere. If it's empty I'm lucky to go on level ground if it's slick. Thanks to all who answer.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I have a question for Sprinter owners, how are they on Ice, Snow, or other slippery surfaces? I own a E 350 Ford when it's loaded it will go about anywhere. If it's empty I'm lucky to go on level ground if it's slick. Thanks to all who answer.

I have a 2007 and it's not too bad with a load in the back. Empty it gets a little fun. I just take it nice and slow. I used to have an E-350 and I think my Sprinter handles a little better, but I don't know if there's a van out there that's great on snow when it's empty.