cargo van sleepers

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Found it. That's a very good looking unit also. The 5500 would be a good chassis also for the 17' body but the 4500 might work ok. Detailed specs would have to be looked at to be sure. If an excellent team fell in my lap for the truck I might look into one of these for me.

Hawkeye

Seasoned Expediter
If we had to have a regulated sleeper, I would be out of business, unless I bought a bigger van or switched to an ST. I have a regular size 3/4 van, and I am 6'2". Sleeping side-to-side is very uncomfortable for me. When I have a load and need to take a 5 hour break, I have to clear off the passenger seat and sleep there; I broke the reclining lever on the driver's seat.

Last edited:

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Would it be possible to have a Uhaul type box van with the cabover stoarage and use that top space for the bunk? That would keep your floor open for freight. I am sure it would need to be custom to create a area to walk and crawl up from the cab to the bunk. If Aerocell made something like that I think it would be great, if it would be legal.

Robert

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Yes it's true. Even straight trucks or tractors that have only day cabs already log. To comply with being off duty for 10 hours, the driver must be somewhere other than the driver's seat. He can put a sleeping bag on the ground, or kick back the jump seat and sleep. You would log as 10 hours Off Duty since you are sleeping somewhere other than a DOT sleeper. You would not need receipts from motels unless you stayed there. You would still log all of it as Off Duty and be able to comply with HOS.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
A recent post in Uship forums under the topic "Running Past Weigh Station" had a member named Tobycat, who owns a Sprinter post that if you used a van to haul freight across state lines you need ed to log . He also stated Sprinter has a regulation sleeper option that fits across the front . He further stated Panther and Fedex want vans to have the sleeper attachment . He also mentioned the "required " motel receipts Really interestng info on the U-ship Trucker Talk forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A recent post in Uship forums under the topic "Running Past Weigh Station" had a member named Tobycat, who owns a Sprinter post that if you used a van to haul freight across state lines you need ed to log . He also stated Sprinter has a regulation sleeper option that fits across the front . He further stated Panther and Fedex want vans to have the sleeper attachment . He also mentioned the "required " motel receipts Really interestng info on the U-ship Trucker Talk forums

The most interesting thing about the forums over there is the sheer level of wrong information to be found there.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
maybe a final note, i don't know, the spartan cargo van has a width of 79" and stays pretty much within the width of the cab so a 75" sleep space could be carved out. they look pretty nice inside in the frp box.

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
Curious to know how many miles you can get out of a sprinter van ?? I know my Class 8 is considered a million mile truck. Vans seem tempting considering the cost of fuel and investment but I keep hearing there are too many sprinters already on the road however, I do have a bunch of hobbies (scuba) !!!!