Cargo Van Outfitters ?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
We've bought three vans since 1992 and had each of them outfitted with a high-top after purchase. The first by the now defunct "Malibu Van Conversions" in St Louis and the last two by "Osage" in Linn, Mo. The initial cost ($1800, $2200 and $3000 successively) and slight loss in fuel ecomomy were greatly offset by the added headroom and storage, TV, VCR space. As we approach 500,000 miles on our 2000 Chev 3500, we will be looking for a comparable replacement after the first of the year.

Has anyone bought a high-top recently and was pleased with the product? Where did you get the High-top? Was it a retro-fit or purchased as a whole with the van? Any pleasurable experiences withe Elkhart, In conversion companys?

BTW, the MSRP for 2005 Chev with all the goodies is $29,984 for a near identical GMC, $30,269.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Are you going to donate your 500,000 mile chevy to a museum? Wow you got your moneys worth out of that one! Just goes to show you what proper maintenance and sensible driving can do for your bottom line. Congratulations!

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Wow what a big pile of miles! I just hope my 2001 3500 Savana lasts *half* that long.

--
Mike N

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Ok, I have to brag on our own here. When our Editor donated his ex-expediter Chevey 3500 van he had over 700,000 miles...and the orginal engine and transmission.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

dawgtown

Expert Expediter
You might want to check with American Vans in Danielsville, GA. They have been converting vans for at least 20 years and are one of the best conversion companies left. I'm not sure what their capabilities are now as far as outfitting a cargo van. I'm sure they can help or refer you to a company that can. American Vans telephone number is: 706-795-3344. There is a van coversion company in Athens GA ZEPHYR VANS: 1950 Jimmie Daniel Rd Bogart Ga 30622 phone (706) 354-8067. Not sure if either does custom work or if you can order one through them.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I've wondered if one of these would work for expediting. They're called a 'Sportsmobile'.. and they're usually used for campers, or adventurer types, etc.

They feature a counter balanced, lift up top with canvas sides. With it down, you have a standard roof line, therefore better mileage than a regular raised roof van. When you park, you just crank up the top, and you've got 6'10" of headroom.

I don't know if the top would affect the qualcomm or not.

It would probably be harder to keep heated in the winter time.. tho in good weather, you could open the privacy curtains, and have GREAT flow thru air...

http://www.sportsmobile.com/1_penthouse-top.html

They're rather high, at about $4000.00, but I was thinking that the fuel saved versus a regular high top, would possibly justify the higher cost????

Just thinking 'Options!'..if you got the cash the company can also install a generator in the underneath spare tire well, satellite tv and internet..they even have an outside venting propane furnace that can be mounted under a seat, or in a cabinet, etc..

No, I'm not meaning to advertise for them..LOL... these things just struck my fancy a long time ago as an affordable camper alternative.. and then I thought about the expediter uses! For example, about halfway down this page, it shows the availible awning... I'm thinking.. a good parking site, couple of lounge chairs, the grill... the good life expediter style..LOL.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/1_options.html

Yeah, yeah.. I know.. over the top... but.. after all, I am still at heart a.....

Dreamer :+ :+ :+

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
what they could do to a sprinter
terry and renee i think this would be a good place to start
quest only question is how much ya want to spend

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Geo: I've had better performance from two chevys than from two ford power strokes. So far, I don't have the faith necessary to invest $32,000+ for a bare bones Sprinter. Of all the 'honest' comments I've seen and heard, the pro does not outweigh the con for me. The Sprinter just hasn't proved itself in the USA as a long haul, constant heavy load carrying transporter. No one in the US has owned one for five years, 500,000+ miles, so we can only guess the endurance and lifetime expense of these things. No doubt, they are great city trucks as they've been used in that capacity in Europe for some time now. I'll look forward to a complete report from you in five years. Happy Holidays Chief

Terry

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
terry and renee
i quest what i should have they look like what they could do to a van
not just a sprinter, maybe you could teach them a thing or to
about expediting van's

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Hey Dreamer, I like the idea. Instead of paying $4,000 more on a diesel. Go with a gas engine like Terry and have one of those pop-ups installed. Solves the problem of sleeper space. Put a propane heater in and that awning on, and you've got it made! I could just see goin' by the Flying Hook and there be 2 or 3 expediters waiting on the next load grillin' a couple of steaks, laughing and lounging under the shade of the awnings and watching satellite TV! You'd sure make all those OTR guys a bit jealous!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I used to see that sort of thing among the van drivers when I started out Preacher, especially at the Detroiter. Times have changed a bit, and it's more dog eat dog now, but expediters generally do enjoy at least talking to one another for a few minutes when they meet.
Sometimes I am so busy I have to cut someone with questions off when I am fueling at a truck stop just so I can make my run on time. Others have done it to me when I was getting inquisitive while they were busy. Sometimes I have sat down for a bite to eat and coffee with others when we all had time to chat, such as on a Sunday while on layover.
I'm not a van expediter, but the GM gas vans seem to be the winner among the long time van owners, virtually indestructable powertrain. Ford Powerstroke diesel still remains the champ among the diesels, with good MPG and long life for a little more initial expense. The Sprinter isn't doing to bad at all, where I really didn't think it would hold up well with its small displacement engine. Then I tend to forget it is a Mercedes Benz diesel, and they know how to build them. Some problems with emission equipment (EGR) and timing chains and trannies, but D/C has worked hard to get the bugs out of them for USA applications. It was important, as big fleet accounts from UPS and FedEx demand relaibility if they are to continue repeat equipment purchases.

Have fun, be safe, all that :p
-Weave-