Cargo van/mpg?

RDC

Expert Expediter
what does the average CV recieve loaded and unloaded with at the most 2,000 lbs. loaded?

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I have a 2006 Ford E-350 with a 5.7 liter gasoline V-8. I get aproximately 15 mpg empty and I lose about 1 mpg with a load of 2000#. About 1 more mpg is lost in the mountains. If I run the A/C all bets are off. I have at times dropped to as low as 9 mpg for having this convenience.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I have averaged from 21.172 to 26.054 mpg per tank, with an average of 23.766 mpg overall for the last couple of months. (I'm a couple of weeks behind on updating my figures.) This is in a Sprinter 2500 SHC.

I avoid jack-rabbit starts like the plague and I try to avoid running the A/C since it seems to lower fuel economy somewhat, although I've never actually quantified how much.

I have no figures for loaded vs unloaded - most of my runs are short enough that I run both load and unloaded on the same tank and therefore have no way to measure one vs the other.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I averaged 16.2 mpg for the life of my 5.7 Chevy 154" wheelbase 3500. I am doing about the same in my 6.0 Chevy 154" 3500. I find city driving and wind to have the most dramatic effect on mpg. I use cruise control whenever possible and usually set it for 67mph on the interstate. Even out west.

A wise old trucker once told me if you want to make good time, stay out of trouble and get good fuel mileage; keep the driver's door closed as much as possible.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I average about 22mpg overall. Loaded, empty, air on or off, the average is 22. 2005 Sprinter 2500 long wheelbase.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Assume 100,000 miles per year expediting in a van for five years.

A Ford, GM, Chevy averaging 18 mpg will burn 27,777 gallons
A Sprinter averaging 23 mpg will burn 21,739 gallons.

At $3.00 per gallon, a Sprinter owner will save over $18,000 more than a Ford, GM, Chevy owner.

Next questions to ask is purchase cost difference, repair/maintenance cost difference and insurance cost difference.

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
Terry, from your figures i think owning a sprinter is the way to go, in the long run you'll save alot more than with a CV. whats the new sprinters with the 6 cyl. getting per mile?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

I hope I didn't mislead with my figures. I wasn't suggesting that the Sprinter is the way to go. It my be, if your only concern is the cost of fuel.

Following is the base msrp for 2007 extended vans

Sprinter diesel - $38,225

Sprinter gas - $36,385

GMC gas - $27,674

Ford diesel - $33,660

Ford Gas - $28,250

The difference in purchase cost, not counting accessories, between a Sprinter and a Ford is $4,565 so your apparent savings in fuel is lowered to $13,435.

I can't compare maintenance costs for the Sprinter, but comments on EO indicate the life cycle maintenance costs for the Sprinter are greater than that of the Ford or Chevy

I have had two Fords that exceeded 500,000 miles and have talked to may other owners in Fords and Chevys that have run their vans in exces of 700,000 mile. Does any Sprinter owner have a van that has done 500,000 mile in expedite?

There is no doubt that the Sprinter has become a very popular expediter. The Sprinter has considerably more available personal space and more volume for the cargo. It has no more weight capacity under typical use.

The moral of my comment is that there is much more to consider than the miles per gallon to consider when choosing an expediter van.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I'm with Terry on this. The Sprinter costs more to maintain and repair. I bought mine for the headroom. I like to stand up when i'm putting on my pants.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am with TJ on his pants comment!!*L* cept I haven't really found them more to maintain.

So far *touch wood* My maintenance costs are the same as a reg van. BUT and its a BIG but...when I do breakdown it's where i do and the closest service garage is the BIG question. Only a "Sprinter authorized dealer" can touch them. Most parts are dealer only.
As Terry said theres more then fuel mileage to consider. I mean everyone spreads thier peanut butter a little different.

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
I've got a 2007 Sprinter 2500 extended wheelbase. I am averaging somewhere around 20, although I don't check that often. There's a setting on the computer/odometer that gives a readout over a period of time and its usually around 20mpg. I am pleased with the vehicle so far, and I like being able to stand up in it. Before this I drove a 2003 Ford E-350 and it got great gas mileage, but felt like it was falling apart at 120,000 miles. The Sprinter is much more comfortable than the Ford to drive, seats and driver controls are a much better design. Time will tell on repairs... I've got a small chip on the windshield and I'm sure its going to be big buck to replace that glass.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I had to replace my windshield and it was surprisingly inexpensive. I forget the price but it was less than $200.00. I didn't go to a dealer though.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Similar experience here on the glass as TJ - my son had to have one replaced on his 2004 and it was pretty reasonable.

If that chip isn't all that big you should see about having it repaired rather than replaced - Safelite can do it for around $50 ..... if it isn't huge.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I haven't had a gas van since back in the '80s. All my GM diesel vans have done about 20mpg running empty and with a light load (<1500lbs)on the highway. Dropped to 18mpg with the air on. City running I had to drive nice and do the economy driving style to keep it good. Basically on the highway I could get 625 miles to a tank on my GM diesels, city highway about 530 miles to a tank. Dropped an average of 15% or a little less running loaded (>1500lbs).
My Sprinter averages 650 miles per tank (smaller than GM by 5 gal) highway and 530 miles city (city driving), city highway I can get an amazing 575+ miles. This due to the fact that the Sprinter computer works the fuel injection and the turbo to optomize the engine and transmission to be efficient even in the city and under load. Running the air drops about 10% and with loads over 2000lbs. Load upto there do not seem to affect my economy too much at all. In fact with <1500lbs fuel economy stays same as empty (so long as your driving nice)

Re repairs, my sprinter has not cost any more than my GMs so far. The windshield repalcement is only $100 more than a ford. Since you can go a little long between oil changes I have found the costs for regular maintenance are not too costly. Further if driving a sprinter find a good mercedes mechanic (outside dealer network) who can do all the preventive stuff. I've found don't wait for the brakes to wear down too much and it costs less, change the belt before it breaks, check for injector leaks, basically do real preventive maint. and you'll save a lot in the long run.
Rob Fis