Cargo Van Manual Transmissions

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Flattop's thread about automatic transmissions in trucks and my recent reading about the European NV 400 available with a manual transmission got thinking... If you could magically add a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission to your current van at no cost would you do it or stick with the auto?

Personally I would go with a manual transmission. If I were to order a new van, any make, and I could get an optional manual transmission, I'd go for it. Even at an extra cost.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would not as I don't think they are as efficient as a modern automatic, and I drive in Toronto traffic so don't need the hassle.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Isn't one of the new vans going to be available with auto-shift? Thought I read that in here somewhere...

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I would go with a manual over an automatic any day.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

guido4475

Not a Member
Isn't one of the new vans going to be available with auto-shift? Thought I read that in here somewhere...

Isn't that what the Dodge transmission already is? An automated manual? The same with the new Sprinter? Correct me if I am wrong....lol...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Isn't that what the Dodge transmission already is? An automated manual? The same with the new Sprinter? Correct me if I am wrong....lol...
I wish it was! Sadly, the shifter has a manual selection side but it will only function (alledgely) with the diesel engine.

I'll let you know for sure when the diesel cutaway I ordered shows up around year end (again, alledgely) for my next aluminum box project... a 175" wb Promaster with a permanent bunk/kitchen with room for 3 skids.

guido4475

Not a Member
I wish it was! Sadly, the shifter has a manual selection side but it will only function (alledgely) with the diesel engine.

I'll let you know for sure when the diesel cutaway I ordered shows up around year end (again, alledgely) for my next aluminum box project... a 175" wb Promaster with a permanent bunk/kitchen with room for 3 skids.

With us having a window of 10,000 gvw, I am wondering what the empty weight will end up being on something like this?

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I am done with clutches in backed up traffic. Moot , have you been somewhere too hot for too long? :)

Stay safe
KG

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
With us having a window of 10,000 gvw, I am wondering what the empty weight will end up being on something like this?
That's why it has to be an all aluminum box. I fully believe the empty weight will be under 5,000 lbs. It will be at next year's Expo, hopefully in the company booth!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm an old-fashioned coot,

old_coot_walking.jpg

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I probably would get one....I don't mind shifting. ..and clutches are cheaper than rebuilding an auto trans..

Sent from my SM-G900V using EO Forums mobile app

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I enjoy the manual transmissions in performance cars. For the traffic we encounter daily, I'll stay automatic in my van.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I think that's why the diesel Promaster is supposed to work either way... for both crowds. Why they didn't give gassers that option I'll never figure out!