Cargo Van Business

Camper

Not a Member

Overall, I agree with your premise. However, given the relatively low barrier to entry, the advantages you cite(legal limits and other regs, logs, etc), are curtailed by a much bigger pool of competitors. Hence the dearth of carriers taking on vans.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Overall, I agree with your premise. However, given the relatively low barrier to entry, the advantages you cite(legal limits and other regs, logs, etc), are curtailed by a much bigger pool of competitors. Hence the dearth of carriers taking on vans.

Unfortunately that knocks the crap out of my theory in some ways...:cool:

leon101

Active Expediter
After reading all of this talk about cargo vans, I have a few questions. Currently, I drive a tractor trailer for a company, but I would like to go into the expediting business with a cargo van. I would like to lease on with a company first to learn the business. What would be a company anyone would recommend to lease on with? Would this be a route you would recommend?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
After reading all of this talk about cargo vans, I have a few questions. Currently, I drive a tractor trailer for a company, but I would like to go into the expediting business with a cargo van. I would like to lease on with a company first to learn the business. What would be a company anyone would recommend to lease on with? Would this be a route you would recommend?

A straight truck for an owner if you still want to mess with HOS or a CV for a fleet owner...probably with Panther or Bolt..You'll get a real good picture of this biz from them...

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Or go deliver pizzas and make up to $26.00 an hour and go home every night
It works for me:rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or go deliver pizzas and make up to $26.00 an hour and go home every night
It works for me:rolleyes:

Amazing how many discount or blow off jobs like that?...Like it is not a real job....like driving a cab...Own and operate a cab and see the real world...

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
True my wife doesn't believe it's a real job even though I make more than at my real job lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
True my wife doesn't believe it's a real job even though I make more than at my real job lol

Go out and get a REAL job? Well DOH...I bring home a paycheck and a good one at that...Breaking your back is a REAL job?.....Heck sitting on our butts all day and just driving around ain't REAL work neither....LOL

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Go out and get a REAL job? Well DOH...I bring home a paycheck and a good one at that...Breaking your back is a REAL job?.....Heck sitting on our butts all day and just driving around ain't REAL work neither....LOL

I get paid to sit on my butt for 10 hours in a very secure place ;)

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
If your looking to start a new career doing this then I would start with at least something 10gvw that can carry at least 3 pallets. Low start up, low overhead, if you make a mistake it doesn't break the bank. Make sure your truck has all the electronic gadgets that give you the edge. If you look at the dash on Chefdennis' van you'll know what I mean. He has more gadgets on his dash than the dash on on a 747.:p

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Getting started with good midsize carrier to learn the business is the way to go in my opinion...Panther has too many vans for my taste...Then you have a fe of the bigger companies that will limit your miles and hours and take freight off your truck at some point...that doesn't work for me either.

Bolt is a good midsize and growing company that you can learn the in's and out's of the business and make decent money while you learn, Talk with ANNE M in their recruiting dept., she will not BS or lie to you.

As for how to enter the business, Vans are cheap enough to buy and get started, and easier to get rid of if you decide this isn't a lifestyle you can deal with..and this is NOT like the trucking you are use to...If you can't or aren't ready to spend your cash, then find a VAN fleet owner and go to work for them...but why spilt the income from a van when it cam all be yours...vans are cheap...

Now as was said, to maximize your chances of success, a bigger 10,000 gvw longer wheelbase unit will give you a better chance to make more money...but you can do get started and do well with a van that will haule just 2 skids...

As for the "gadgets" on my dash...yeap there are a few....When i made the decision to get into this business, it was only after figuring if i was comfortable out here, id quit...sooo...my vans are built for me 1st and freight 2nd...my comfort doesnt stop me from hauling as much freight as a "stripped" spartan van would and i am comfortable enough to stay out on the road as long as i want to or need to...So yes you need to have the right truck, the right company and the right equipment to do the job...

Learn the business for a good Mid Size company, you do it right and you will quickly find the bigger companies that you will want to run for and believe it or not, if you do it right, those companies will be glad to have you....

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I am currently leased on with Bolt and I would recommend them if you are trying to learn the business. They are like any carrier where there are some issues but nothing that you can't deal with for awhile. I am on the same path you are on, I drove truck and ended up driving a van and plan to make a go of it on my own eventually, I just need to gain more education in this industry. There are several people that have experience with Bolt on here and will tell you they are a good company to get started with. As far as me recommending you do it I would if you have the cash to back yourself up, I make more in the van than as a company truck driver. My wife drives as well but there really isn't a big financial advantage to having a team in a van due to the nature of the business. Bolt advertises on here so you can get the number from their ad.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Oh great. Another van. Sylectus sends out an email welcoming new carriers to the system. I looked up the two newest ones added and between them it was 30 new vans added to the system. Nothing else. Just more and more vans. If you want to be ahead of the curve in this biz, buy something dock high and get your self licensed to drive it. That's where the shortage is right now.

It's a good thing I just signed up a team/owned and operated 33k pound straight truck and two under 26k straight trucks. Well, me and my business partner just signed these trucks on. I got JJ Keller and associates handling my IFTA taxes and my random drug testing program. It wasn't really that hard to hustle me up 3 straight trucks and about 6 box trucks and a few sprinters in the mix!

plegs1

Active Expediter
Thanks for the info....this forum has helped a lot. I am making a career change after 30 years in sales biz.....I am pretty conservative, expect hic ups and trouble....in other words, getting into being a owner operator will not be a straight path.
I could use any and all advice...

I read as many of the forums as my time will allow.
We ( wife and I ) have contacted 2-3 companies advertising for OO....we are deciding between cargo van or sprinter. What are the better companies to do buisness with? Rates? We have no issues being on the road....kids are gone...ready for a change. Contacts and resources on insurance, vans, and good companies would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I've included my advice on getting started in this forum in my signature line. And welcome to the fray.

eb

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the info....this forum has helped a lot. I am making a career change after 30 years in sales biz.....I am pretty conservative, expect hic ups and trouble....in other words, getting into being a owner operator will not be a straight path.
I could use any and all advice...

I read as many of the forums as my time will allow.
We ( wife and I ) have contacted 2-3 companies advertising for OO....we are deciding between cargo van or sprinter. What are the better companies to do buisness with? Rates? We have no issues being on the road....kids are gone...ready for a change. Contacts and resources on insurance, vans, and good companies would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

While there will always be Cargo Van freight available, more andmore shippers are simply asking for a "sprinter"...now all that means is they want a "sprinter type" unit...sprinter, cube van or Cargo Max type unit...and its not because they always can't put their freight in a CV...it is like when the industry moved to 53 ft trailers..over time the shippers only asked for 53 ft'ers and the 48 fter went down in production...

I started in a CV and i still have a driver in it, my carrier does ok in keeping him moving, but if i was to ask to put another CV on with them right now, even though i have 2 units with them now, the answer would be no....

If you can swing it in anyway possible, get something that will allow you to haul 3 skids on the floor and that will also let you take freight over 52" tall, preferably a 70 minimum rear opening...no reason to limit your ability to make money...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I am currently leased on with Bolt and I would recommend them if you are trying to learn the business. They are like any carrier where there are some issues but nothing that you can't deal with for awhile. I am on the same path you are on, I drove truck and ended up driving a van and plan to make a go of it on my own eventually, I just need to gain more education in this industry. There are several people that have experience with Bolt on here and will tell you they are a good company to get started with. As far as me recommending you do it I would if you have the cash to back yourself up, I make more in the van than as a company truck driver. My wife drives as well but there really isn't a big financial advantage to having a team in a van due to the nature of the business. Bolt advertises on here so you can get the number from their ad.

Wow, advice sure can change. I hope that Bolt can recover so they get recommendations like this rather than what I have to say about them now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

dnlperot50

Active Expediter
I don't know if I'm even in the right forum,i hope i am .anyway i just recently got into the expediting
business. i own 2 vans . i sub contracted with a local company here in Dallas and lost money ,big time. I'm looking to hire on with a mid- size company.Do any of you guys know where i should start?
who should i be looking at in the Dallas/Ft.worth area ?(p.s. that local company i spoke of was a courier service..BIG MISTAKE

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I don't know if I'm even in the right forum,i hope i am .anyway i just recently got into the expediting
business. i own 2 vans . i sub contracted with a local company here in Dallas and lost money ,big time. I'm looking to hire on with a mid- size company.Do any of you guys know where i should start?
who should i be looking at in the Dallas/Ft.worth area ?(p.s. that local company i spoke of was a courier service..BIG MISTAKE

Do tell which Courier Company it was here in the DFW area.......

I am quite sure they are not "Protected" entities here.....

They promised you $1200-$1500 a week.......and you ended up with a $370 paycheck AFTER spending $280 on fuel for the week!! Hahaha.............

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Doing the math: 38 replies, 4,966 views, hmmm thats ugh, 0.007652 pct, or there abouts. Not exactly a run to the bank investment there gang , no 2000 new sprinters or one ton cv in production, but there is hope. Ok, so dont take that so hard, Orville and Wilbur were laughed at, can we say 747s, f16s, hey, go for it, buy that new ride, kiss the Misses goodbye, dont forget ur guitar. Of course all the above IMHO<