Cargo Box

Ricks411

Expert Expediter
I have a 18ft box truck with 44" ground to floor height. Is there any legal way to get the box up to dock height of 48"? Here's the kicker without making it unstable. Tires are 19.5". Thanks

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
if the box is not mounted to the cab it is rather simple. Cut all U-bolts and lift the box carefully and insert a 4X4 cut to size needed on each frame rail and install new ubolts.. and enjoy. Of course be SURE you know how high your truck is, if it is close to 13'6 your gonna have a lot of troubles at 13'10. I'll bet your truck is under 11 feet right now so you should not have those troubles.

Also with the load 4 inches higher, it is going to be a tad bit tippier. Get use to the truck with a load and take turns slower than normal until you feel comfortable that you know your trucks limits.

The cheapest way.. 2 ramps that are 4 inchs high, you can back up on them and get to 48". Also most dock levelers can go right in to a 44" truck with out troubles. So unless the carrier you want to sign with requires 48" go with the ramps, you might find you never need them.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
An alignment shop can raise your spring suspension with blocks front rear and re-align for proper specs. Raise the box a small amount would also help, but don't get to carried away. And of course going to tall rubber should get you there. Good luck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As mentioned, tall tires and wheels will work but could be expensive. Raising the box is probably the easiest and cheapest, short of using ramps. As mentioned, most docks should be able to adjust to your setup. If you raise the box and feel some instability when loaded, you more than likely can add a front and or rear stabalizer bar that should offset any problems.
Above advise is good on box realignment. Also is easier if you have air ride with a dump valve, for raising and lowering of the truck frame.
Davekc
owner
20 years

tazman

Expert Expediter
After seeing the comments about raising the box ...I'm not sure I agree.....

Most manufacturers of truck bodies have strict rules about adding anything to the frame rails to alter the body installation.....
Especially raising the height.....

With liability issues as they are today...why would you want to take the chance anyway...???? What if you have an accident ????
They would probably check to see if the body was certified when it was installed......

Why not carry some ramps to place unser the rear wheels..it may make the floor pitch a little when removing cargo.....

I sell a lot of non-dock height units ( i.e. Isuzu NPR and E-series cutaways) ....and we see this issue a lot.......

Well...just offering an opinion ......

I vote "no" on adding anything to raise the box...

Thanks

"The Beast in the East"

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Most manufacturers of truck bodies have strict rules about adding anything to the frame rails to alter the body installation.....
Especially raising the height.....

He could have it done and then recertify it.
Also, most boxes have a layer of wood between the frame and the box already. 4" does seem like alot to make up.
We had this done several years ago at Kenworth of Indianapolis.
Your right, the only other option is to use ramps.
Davekc

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
What's the worry?? I have a tandem truck that is 45 inches ground to
floor and, I get along fine with it. The docks are all different anyway. If you raise the truck four inches, the first dock you come to will probably be three inches lower.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 with 12' cube. Dock high with jackstands. 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

My truck (formerly a Chrysler dealer parts delivery truck) was originally 43" from ground to floor of box. I took it to Lonnie's Truck & Trailer in Indianapolis (317-244-0116). They raised the box 5" by putting longer u-bolts on and adding spacers between the box and frame. This also required lengthening the fuel hose. They also cut off my step bumper and made it into an ICC bar and added a pair of used jack stands (to appease our UAW friends).
The total bill just under $1,000.
Truck handles fine.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you raise the truck four inches, the first dock you come to will probably be three inches lower.

Isn't that the truth.
We did ours because of a tire size issue. Box was sitting too low on the tandems
Dock heigth wasn't our major consideration
Davekc

LaPurr

Expert Expediter
My sugestion is going to be slightly diferent. Since the rear springs are already sagged down about 2-3 inchs just from the weight of the truck and cargo, I would attack this from a completely diferent angle, that is going to be easier on you, and your truck. What I would do is contact a trailer suspension place or dealer, and see if theres a way to install airbags ontop of the axle, and have the counter part mounted to the frame or frame rails of the truck. Have a simple switch inside the truck that you can flip, that will raise the truck, buy filling up the air bags, when you get to your dock. These air bags are actually going to serve a dual purpose. Instead of the 8000 lbs of a forklift going into your truck, and flatening your springs, the majority of the weight is going to be held buy the air bags, thereby giving a longer life to the springs of the truck. And the fact that this setup will add maybe a total of 50-100 lbs to the weight of your truck, it means you wont have to be concerned about the GVWR being exceeded. I think thats the term I am looking for? Also you wont have to be hassled by getting out of your truck and cranking down some landing gear to raise your truck up, or getting out some ramps to drive your truck up on. You simply back into the dock, hit the switch, get unloaded, hit the switch again, drive away.. Its simple, light to the truck, and probly could be retrofitted onto the truck fairly easily..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you do the airbag route as listed by LaPurr you would still have to add the landing gear if a tow motor is to enter the truck. Many of the plants (especially union ones) will require a visual to make sure you have them. and they are down for loading and unloading.
Outside of that it would be an interesting concept. If there was no air system, I wonder if 8,000lbs would be too much on a electric air pump?
Davekc