career change

cvgfrtdog

Expert Expediter
I'm going thru that life dilemma and seeking a career change. Seriously considering exiting the airline biz and looking at the expedited courier as a source of income. Plan to put a cargo van to work in the very near future. Any input from experienced drivers would be appreciated. We live in the Cincinnati area.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Contact Eagle Global Logistics, (EAGLEGL.COM) I was contracted to them out of Louisville for a while and they were very fair and good people to work for.
I left because I had the opportunity to work with an independent with my D unit

Eagle Global Logistics CVG
3780 Lake Park Drive Business Phone: (859) 578-6400
Covington, KY 41017

Good Luck

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I hred good things about them too, but when I went to chicago in mid july, they never talked to me, or even responded to any calls i made. I guess they're not that nice.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Talk to the outbound Operations Manager, this person is responsable for hiring contractors. If he or she is not available talk to dispatcher

The online form is out of Houston and probably not looked at very often

Regards

Greg

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Based on GEO!S recommendation I attempted to check them out here in Jacksonville and Orlando. I did the e Mail application plus made some calls,had zero response.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
EGL, I've talked to a couple of them folks. My oppinion is, that
them seven dollar an hour clowns that look at apps or speak with
you would not know the difference between a good expediter, with good equipment from a Jersey cow. But, I didn't want to sign on, just help them out a bit. May have made a difference.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i guess alot depends on the station you check out
here in norfolk station, we need 3 more truck's
they put trucks on as they need them only,
have a well run station, if you show up for work they make sure
you are running, and as soon as you are able to get back
they have a load waitting for you
all support people in the office are great,
guest i'm luck working at one of the better stations

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: EGL - Eagle Global Logistics

>EGL, I've talked to a couple of them folks. My oppinion is,
>that
>them seven dollar an hour clowns that look at apps or speak
>with
>you would not know the difference between a good expediter,
>with good equipment from a Jersey cow. But, I didn't want to
>sign on, just help them out a bit. May have made a
>difference.

I believe that (and am open to correction) that is that EGL isn't an expediting company per se. They are a FREIGHT FORWARDER. They haven't been around too long, they were built by aquiring several Freight Forwarding companies. I believe that they were once, in part at least, BNAF.
Any expediting they do is a sideline, not their main business focus.
Now, that might be unfair, but note that GEO says he works for a "good station". Maybe the station manager in ORF has some good clients that need expediters.

RWA

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
RE: EGL - Eagle Global Logistics

OUCHIE!! I may have used Expediter in a real broad term. Sorry. Point is I guess, if they have freight and cannot cover it, don't make much difference if they are "forwarding" it or expediting it I guess. It needs to be there. And, if a company has not been around long, and has experienced excelerated growth and are scrapeing the barrel to place someone on the telephone without (experience, training etc.) it's not a good thing. Sorry. I'm not impressed regardless even if they are a "forwarder" or an expediter. You a company man or what???

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
best way to say what egl is it's like fedex express, ground , freight and cc rolled into one, we so it all, what ever customer wants we are able to do

witchita

Expert Expediter
They are a forwarder but considering that most forwarders,generally speaking and may or may not include EGL,contact expediting companies direct to move some of their shpmnts, working for them can be very lucrative(no middle man...). All forwarders are commited to time sensative demands and if flights get cancelled, or the cost to ship per mile is lower than the cost charged(they charge by CWT) by LTL carriers is cheaper (I've found the break to be at around 2000 lbs.)they go with the exclusive truck.
EGL uses contractors in all their trucks(in DFW TX anyway)local and hot-shot. Contractors can run local or take runs offered by dispatch to increase revenue. They are very big in DFW and have been around here at least the last 10 years.Just a little more light on the subject for what its worth...

Keep it between the lines and take care of each other.

newthead

Expert Expediter
My two cents worth:
I tried contacting them via email 3 separate times.......no response. Here in Portland, they do not use O/O's or IC's, they are all company drivers.