Can't get much rest and loving it!!!

takemall

Active Expediter
I have been driving for All State Express(Chevy Cargo Van) for the past 5 months. At first it was slow going and i thought i had made a bad career decision. For the past 3-4 weeks i have averaged 3500-4000 miles a week loaded, with 1 week being over 5000!! I have figured out in a very short time that sometimes you have to spend a little of your $$$ to make money. Sometimes just moving from 75-100 miles will get you a load. To all those newbies out there it may be nice to sit and learn from all the other expediters in the lot but if you can move to another location it sometimes helps you on getting loads that are not within the 100 mile area that most companies use. You may be a little lonely but that's what this job is all about!! Time by yourself and $$$!! I am loaded and headed to Melvendale, Michigan out of Charleston, SC as we speak. Came to Charleston out of Indiana and set here a little over 4 hours and headed back North with the good thing being a Monday morning drop so i can stop by and see the in-laws in Greenville,SC. Good luck to all and be safe out there!!

Last edited:

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Make sure you save money for the "slow" times! This is a seasonal bussiness, when its good its great but when it is slow, well its SLOW.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Get ready for that to come to a halt shortly, save up.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

takemall

Active Expediter
I have allready started to save as i started in a slow time and know what to expect when getting only 700-1000 miles a week...Some people like to spend it while they have it but i look at this as not being a drag race but it being a enduro race!!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I have been driving for All State Express(Chevy Cargo Van) for the past 5 months. At first it was slow going and i thought i had made a bad career decision. For the past 3-4 weeks i have averaged 3500-4000 miles a week loaded, with 1 week being over 5000!! I have figured out in a very short time that sometimes you have to spend a little of your $$$ to make money. Sometimes just moving from 75-100 miles will get you a load. To all those newbies out there it may be nice to sit and learn from all the other expediters in the lot but if you can move to another location it sometimes helps you on getting loads that are not within the 100 mile area that most companies use. You may be a little lonely but that's what this job is all about!! Time by yourself and $$$!! I am loaded and headed to Melvendale, Michigan out of Charleston, SC as we speak. Came to Charleston out of Indiana and set here a little over 4 hours and headed back North with the good thing being a Monday morning drop so i can stop by and see the in-laws in Greenville,SC. Good luck to all and be safe out there!!

Ya Mon, Many choose to practice the "herd" skills when not on the road.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dead heading a reasonable distance is acceptable but it sucks when over 50 to 100 to miles in the oppisite dirrection.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only 5 months...hmmm you might be a keeper....LOL you've learned one important thing already....

a lone wolf catches more prey(loads)......Good luck

takemall

Active Expediter
After listening for the first couple of months some people would be scared to death from all the horror stories. I worked in the Ohio Dept. of Corrections as a Corrections Officer and it took more than stories to scare me...LOL...And as OntarioVanMan stated it is a proven fact that the one who stalks alone gets fed better!!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Only 5 months...hmmm you might be a keeper....LOL you've learned one important thing already....

a lone wolf catches more prey(loads)......Good luck

Wolves hunt in packs. They do everything in packs. They take far more prey together than alone. Picked the WRONG animal there Ken! LOL!! :p

A link for your education!

Wolf Facts - Wolf Pack

(just pickin on you buddy! I agree with your thoughts, except the wolf part)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

Thanks for coming back and sharing your experience with others - All State is a solid company and you should so well! Like the others said - pack some of that cash away.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A lone wolf has to be smarter, quicker, stronger then the pack tho.....just saying...LOL

Nope and wrong amundo! LOL!! A lone wolf is just too stinky to run with the pack and will likely starve to death! City kids don't know squat about the REAL world! :p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
gee whiz...this has never been about animals.....well then again, some expediters are predatory...LOL

takemall

Active Expediter
Loving this job even more...Took a run out of SC and headed for Melvendale, Michigan and got a call from home(Ohio) that a storm had knocked our power out and it could be July 5th before they got it back.. I pulled into the house and my 12 y/o son and my wife said they were going with me.. I told them that i only had room for 1 and my wife said that she could stay with her aunt and my boy can go...He grabbed the fishing poles and away we went....Delivered to Melvendale and got another load from Wellington, Ohio to Lake Cadillac in Northern Michigan..The smile on my son's face is worth the money that it's going to cost me to dead head home on Wed. the 4th of July as they have restored the power at home!! He has All Star games this weekend and i have to be a responsible parent and get him home....Everyone have a great 4th and be careful!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Loving this job even more...Took a run out of SC and headed for Melvendale, Michigan and got a call from home(Ohio) that a storm had knocked our power out and it could be July 5th before they got it back.. I pulled into the house and my 12 y/o son and my wife said they were going with me.. I told them that i only had room for 1 and my wife said that she could stay with her aunt and my boy can go...He grabbed the fishing poles and away we went....Delivered to Melvendale and got another load from Wellington, Ohio to Lake Cadillac in Northern Michigan..The smile on my son's face is worth the money that it's going to cost me to dead head home on Wed. the 4th of July as they have restored the power at home!! He has All Star games this weekend and i have to be a responsible parent and get him home....Everyone have a great 4th and be careful!!

Your carrier allows children in the van?