Canada to US.. 'fine, we'll sell our oil to China!"

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
President Barack Obama’s decision yesterday to reject a permit for TransCanada Corp.’s Keystone XL oil pipeline may prompt Canada to turn to China for oil exports.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, in a telephone call yesterday, told Obama “Canada will continue to work to diversify its energy exports,” according to details provided by Harper’s office. Canadian Natural Resource Minister Joe Oliver said relying less on the U.S. would help strengthen the country’s “financial security.”

Canada Pledges to Sell Oil to Asia After Obama Rejects Keystone Pipeline - Bloomberg

Dale

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Empty threat. Political theater. It doesn't matter where Canada exports its oil, it is all exported on the world market. Some of what we import from Canada gets refined here and then exported by proxy for Canada, anyway. Also, current plans to run any pipeline from interior Canada to the Pacific for Asian export is buried under a mountain of litigation as it is, and any future plans will be met with the same. the cost of litigation and running the pipeline over the Rockies will end up costing more than they'll get from any pipeline.

See this thread:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...-state-department-kill-keystone-pipeline.html

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Forgive my ignorance, could you put it in lamens terms why did Obama reject this pipeline?

Votes and his (our forced) investment in BS "green" energy..

And there are some objections to the route of the pipeline. They are working on a alternative route however those that will never be happy with it will always object.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I am really curious to why...?

Could it be the price of the oil, or does the US have something else in mind?

What source is real, what can we believe...this is weird though...?

Keystone Pipeline Project

The Map Doesn’t Lie: Keystone XL Pipeline Is Environmentally Safe

I see this as being good for the US and Canada Economy, until we all figure out how to survive without oil?

In politics.. it's always follow the votes, and you'll find the money.

For Obama there is no reason to approve this other than the union vote, which I think he is taking for granted. In the grand seam of things I do think the environmentalist vote is a much larger vote than the union members who might not vote, or vote republican this year.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Forgive my ignorance, could you put it in lamens terms why did Obama reject this pipeline?

Because the Republicans in Congress wanted to play political hardball by putting an artificial time limit on the decision, to force Obama to go ahead and approve it. If you click the link to the thread I posted above, and then read the thread, your ignorance will be fixed.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

It was a purely political decision by Obama so he could appease his evironmental wacko constituency. For some to say it was the republicans that are to blame because they wanted to play politics is laughable.

Reactions: 1 person

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Because the Republicans in Congress wanted to play political hardball by putting an artificial time limit on the decision, to force Obama to go ahead and approve it. If you click the link to the thread I posted above, and then read the thread, your ignorance will be fixed.

Yeah because Canada would wait forever for Obama and the state department to make up their minds. :rolleyes:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It was intensely studied and calculated to help cement Obama's position as THE WORST president in the history of the nation as well as helping insure that record will never be broken regardless how many centuries the nation continues (most likely zero, especially if he wins reelection).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It was a purely political decision by Obama so he could appease his evironmental wacko constituency. For some to say it was the republicans that are to blame because they wanted to play politics is laughable.
Unfortunately, the facts don't support your conclusions.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Votes and his (our forced) investment in BS "green" energy..

And there are some objections to the route of the pipeline. They are working on a alternative route however those that will never be happy with it will always object.

Obama and his minions from the EPA,as well as the environmentalists are against oil. They hate it. They don't want to drill for it or use it. They will try to kill any project that uses fossil fuels and use any excuse necessary to that end. Instead they will give a green light without delay to the other alternatives whether they are economicaly feasable or wanted. It's their agenda.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Obama and his minions from the EPA,as well as the environmentalists are against oil. They hate it. They don't want to drill for it or use it. They will try to kill any project that uses fossil fuels and use any excuse necessary to that end. Instead they will give a green light without delay to the other alternatives whether they are economicaly feasable or wanted. It's their agenda.

NOT exactly true..Obama gave the go ahead for the Williston ND oil fields to be drilled at a faster pace a few months ago...

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter

There is one issue..

They don't want US to use oil. Obama and his wife have NO problem using oil for themselves jetting around the world.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
NOT exactly true..Obama gave the go ahead for the Williston ND oil fields to be drilled at a faster pace a few months ago...

That is so he can say exactly what you just said.

"Now wait a minute Mr Newt. That's not true. I approved drilling in North Dakota!"

(and that is about the only place)

greg334

Veteran Expediter

His administration also fast tracked some of the permits for the refinery here in the area, so it is odd that he would be so against oil.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
His administration also fast tracked some of the permits for the refinery here in the area, so it is odd that he would be so against oil.

Yes it is odd that he is against oil given that this country needs it so bad and the jobs that would be created by it.