Can You teach an old dog new tricks?

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone have any information to share about the basics of WiFi? For the most part I use a VC Access Card, tied to my Verizon cell phone package, which provides me with unlimited use each month. However, there are times I am in areas where the cell signal is weak, but WiFi is available. I was wondering if it would provide a stronger more consistent connection, and if so, how does one go about accessing it?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
WiFi is radio, just like Bluetooth and a cell phone. If you need a stronger signal, you either need to be closer, or use an external antenna for the WiFi. And like all radio signals, sometimes there is interference that results in a weak or spotty signal.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I use an aircard too, [known to the computer as 'WWAN' connection], but sometimes prefer to use wifi. [Less often since arranging autopay, lol]
To prevent the computer from getting it's circuits in a bunch over which connection I want to use, I disable wifi - the old laptop had a button [looks like a tower, with radio signals], the new one doesn't, and switching is done when choosing to connect.
If the wifi is free, just click on 'connect', but if you need to pay for it, then you can use a credit card or driver payback points, if you have them. As Turtle said, you may need to move to get a better wifi signal, sometimes.