Can you rebuild a Cat 3126

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I recently had a Cat dealer tell me me the 3126 is a rebuildable motor. I have always heard that is is basically a throw a away motor when she goes. Any thoughts, I was quoted $11000. for 300 hp version, plus r & r.:( :( Hasen't died yet but with 580k, I know I'm on borrowed time. Also interested in long milege stories on the 3126 cat motor . Thanks to all.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>I recently had a Cat dealer tell me me the 3126 is a
>rebuildable motor. I have always heard that is is basically
>a throw a away motor when she goes. Any thoughts, I was
>quoted $11000. for 300 hp version, plus r & r.:( :( Hasen't
>died yet but with 580k, I know I'm on borrowed time. Also
>interested in long milege stories on the 3126 cat motor .
>Thanks to all.

Well lets say anything is rebuildable, the question should be if it is cost effective to rebuild. When there is a rod through the side of the motor, cracked block or a number of things that don't make it cost effective. I know that it is not a wet sleeve engine but that does not mean you can put sleeves in it to bring it up to specs.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They can be sleeved but you will lose alittle displacement. They are rebuildable depending on what needs replacing. If the engine for example sucks in a turbo fin, you are looking at a new engine. Same with a cracked block ect. Some may just need injectors, top half, or bearings which is much cheaper than a whole engine replacement.
I would have it dyno'ed and run oil samples to determine how close you are to a major repair.
If you attempt to sleeve one of these, I would have a cat dealer do it because it can't have much scoring on the cylinder walls for this to work.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Yeah what Dave said and I have the receipts for it all. Ohio CAT. Why buy a new c7 or C9 when a thousand here and thousand there gets some more miles. Sooner or later maybe new is the way to go but I have come to love that engine and all its receipts. Still nowhere near $11,000 in receipts and she keeps on keeping on.

Raceman
OTR O/O

Sleepydog

Expert Expediter
Hey there Raceman -- What Ohio Cat Dealer did you use? Looking for a good one to run a overhead on mine. The last time I had one done, by a Freightliner dealership and shortly after that I "sucked" number one exhaust valve. Hate it when that happens.:)

chrissyNsteve

Expert Expediter
our CAT3126 went bad, we only had 289,000 when a injector tip broke off and the pistons were melted and blew out the turbo. it cost us over $7100 to replace the turbo, pistons and we are hoping that International will help us with the cost. whats our chances of that happening? we thought this motor was good for longer then 289,000 miles. oh, then when the motor and turbo were repaired then didn't line up everything "just right" and the fan belt shredded and ripped off the plug in for the sensor and we were stuck on the interstate trying to find someone that had the part that plugs into the sensor. well we found a "roadside" mechanic and he rigged up a temporaty part so we could drive to a garage, that was another $352 and still have to get a new plug which will be who knows how much for it and to have it put on. but yes, the motor can be rebuilt

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Last week one of another driver with C&M was talking to me regarding his rebuild on a Cat. Why do these engines have such a short life? If after 280K to put $11K into a new one, makes it difficult to make a living in this business, thats on average just under three years old.

I have not heard of the Cummins going this soon, after reading the past post's here it seems more like 600K is the earliest replacement I can see, and it was a rebuild not replacement. I am not bragging that mine is a Cummins, but sure am glad it is if what I am reading is true. My second truck has 650K on it, still running good.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have always recieved great service from them. We sold one that had 900,000 and our oldest truck in service has 610,000 on it and no real problems short of a radiator replacement. We sold another reefer unit a couple of months ago, and it had 590,000 on it. It did have to have injector sleeves replaced but that was it.
I would have a CAT specific dealer do any major work on it to avoid future problems.
Sometimes I wonder if it makes a difference on what day the engine was manufactured?

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I use Ohio CAT in Sharonville, Ohio just a hair north of the Ford plant. Ask for Ralph Jennings and he will take good care of you. He sounds like he does not care but it is just his tone. He is great once you get to know him.

Raceman
OTR O/O

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
Chrissynsteve: International is one of the best companys to help with problems that pop up after warranty but I seriously doubt they will help on a Cat engine problem and I doubt if Cat will help either. If it was an International engine they would have probably paid for the parts and let you pay for the labor and supplies.You got 289,000 miles use from the engine so they figure you paying for labor and supplies is equal to the use you got out of the engine.In this case I think about all you can expect from International is for them to ask Cat for help for you. Won't hurt to ask but don't expect to recieve much help.

Dieseldoctor

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I forgot the obvious.
Is your engine under warranty? Many have a warranty to 400,000. We have a M2 that has a warranty of that length.
As for dealers, well....I think there are some that are excellent to some that aren't worth mentioning.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Broom, just my two cents here. This is a topic about the 3126 therefore you will hear good and bad about it. The engines all have good reports and bad no matter who makes them. I have a freind who runs a dump with a Cummins and it is in the shop more than on the road.
I also spoke to aguy with a Detroit right here where I am sitting, Ford Sharonville, and he says the same thing about it. I really think it is hit or miss and luck with anything. I was at LandStar, Lockland, Ohio a while back and there was about 6 drivers all raving about thier 3126s.
If you are buying you can make a decision at that point. If you already own you deal with whatever comes along. I hope you see my point.

You should feel good about what you own. Not everyone buys them or can afford them. Again don't take the note the wrong way.

Raceman
OTR O/O

iescdiesel

Seasoned Expediter
If anyone needs to source Caterpillar 3126 or any other Caterpillar engine rebuild components and kits, you can find great info @ www.detroitdieselmiami.com/caterpillar-rebuildkits-kits.html

We carry pistons, liners, bearings, ring sets, water/lube pumps. pretty much anything found inside of a diesel engine.

you can also reach the friendly and knowledgeable staff of IESC-DIESEL @ 1-888-642-6460 for parts identification and pricing.