I am a single guy 31 CDL A with some OTR EXP

with no kids or wife.

I am thinking of buying a 04 Chev Van ext w/sleeper Gas burner
<PAID FOR>no payment

I have only 2 bills a
$57 phone bill
$59 storage bill

I have money in the bank

Could I make it with the gas prices as high as they are.I have done alot of reading about the whole game of being a expediter.I think I have what it takes.But nervous about the gas prices and the eco.

Give me your feed back good or bad

Last edited:

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
The Van arena is quite full right now with veterans and rookies alike fighting for the van freight. At one time, almost any company would be pleased to have you sign on, but lately, few are adding vans to their fleet except in those cases where replacements are required. The best advice I can give is for you to invest some time an come to the Expedite Expo Expedite Expo 2008 - An On Time Media, LLC. Production and talk to carriers, their recruiters and leased drivers and owner/operators. The truck show is free and the advice is free and your attendance might help you to learn the essentials of the business at the numerous workshops that are also free.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
In a word?
No...

Haha, just kidding!
But really, everyone's perception of 'making it' is individual.. some will be happy as long as they can make the same as they would have made as a Walmart cashier.. others have much higher expectations.. nobody can determine whether you're 'making it', except yourself.
It's much more work to get an answer to this, than simply asking a question.. lots of research is in order. You've found a great source of info here, both in prior posts and informative writings about specific topics.. so read up!
Also be sure to talk to recruiters and ask about the particular vehicle you have in mind.. some might require newer vehicles.. and how much experience is required, and whether your driving/criminal/medical/insurance histories are in order..
Everyone would probably like to just 'drive', (becuz everyone enjoys just driving), rake in the money, pay the corresponding bills, and be happy, but it just doesn't work like that, there's alot more to it. Like budgeting, saving the revenue from the good month to offset all the not-so-good months.
Terryandrene had a great suggestion above, and from what I've heard, the best 'classes' take place in the parking lot :)
Just a thought, but people will probably tend to spend more time discussing things with you when it is apparent to them that you already have at least 'some' knowledge of what you're asking for further info about.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Terry gave the best advice any of us could have with those words.

I ask you to plese do as he suggested: Reason being your gona find alot of sitting, back in the day this did not happen. Now its more the Norm how are gona Entertain yourself in a Truck Stop or where ever away from anyone you know?

If that lifestyle fits you, than your not like most people that I know.

Its fun for a while, but month after month till years build up being alone. Do not think the companies care what your doing as long as your Available at the drop of a phone call, I call it being PRISONER to the Truck.

Take his advice I think you will come away with many more better money making options than what your thinking about.

Goood Luck.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Thinking about this Post:

What about HEALTH INSURANCE?

I am not refering to just this guy, but others who have posted in the past. Why is it never included in the Bills that need to be Paid?

We complaine about giving hand outs (me to) but if your not insured sooner or later one is gona become a drain on Society after your broke cause one failed when one had ones health to cover ones rear end.

No its not cheap, but its much less than the option of Bankruptcy. Why is that we seem to push Health Care at the very bottom of the list of bills to pay? Do you really like the idea of the Govt. taking care of this for you?

warlordblee

Seasoned Expediter
Look into a C or D unit, a much better chance of making money. 530 cargo vans at Panther, do you really want to make it 531?

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Look into a C or D unit, a much better chance of making money. 530 cargo vans at Panther, do you really want to make it 531?
Now break that down by 3....on average 33% out of service...33% have no driver in them and 33 % available ready for freight.....now it dont look to bad huh?... I would still follow terry's advise and got to the show and talk, talk , talk...and listen, listen...then make your choice.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
When you talk to a recruiter, any recruiter bear in mind they are "recruiters" they will tell you what ever they think you want to hear. It is my personal opinion only, that no Expediting Company cares if you make a living or not. If you do good for them, if you don't there is no skin off their Butt.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
with your high payments,many wish they were in your shoes.health insurance,from experiance,most hospitals will take you on the payment plan,even have assistance.If it were me,id look into a sprinter,better choice than a gas van,and as stated,all the companies are van rich

Kmossphotos

Expert Expediter
with your high payments,many wish they were in your shoes.If it were me,id look into a sprinter,better choice than a gas van,and as stated,all the companies are van rich

I would like to buy one but that would put me over budget.Even a use one is alot

Thanks for all the comments

Last edited: