Can I make a living at this????? (Pt.2)

RobZip

Expert Expediter
>Too often recruiters will build up their fleets with Semi Retired >folks that only take the easy
>daytime runs that have no hassle. They then refuse the
>middle of the night offers,

Soooo true. The owners of my truck purchased a B unit last August. They kept the driver on who was with the previous owner. He was 67 years old and traveled with a small dog. For a variety of reasons, this guy turned down approximately $10,000 worth of runs over a 6 month time frame.

It got to the point that he had accepted only 12 runs in about 6 months when they took the truck back from him. The company was about to terminate the contract on the van due to the driver refusing so many runs.

When the van was recovered, it was discovered that the rear gears were shot, much front suspension work needed and approximately 40,000 miles had been run up on it since the purchase. The wiring harness to the Qualcomm had been cut into and a toggle switch added on the dash to disable it. There was also a Drawtite trailer hitch added to the van along with a brake equalizer unit. The old gomer was doing a lot of local hauling side jobs but refusing company loads! I might also add that it took 3 flea bombs to kill off all the bugs inside the van and 3 months since the recovery of the truck we are still raking dog hair out of it.

I've seen this business of old gomers that just don't have the decency to pack it in and retire before. I was a machinist for 20 years prior to expediting. It was not uncommon for the old farts who were WELL PAST retirement age to hang on as long as they could just to rack up a few bucks more in monthly pension credits. Many of these old bastards had their homes paid off, kids through college and established in careers and more money floating around than they knew what to do with. One guy in particular I recall was 64, had a triple bypass and one lung removed due to cancer. His medical bills were paid and he had an ideal situation to retire to. This guy was so stove up with injuries and disabilities that he could barely wipe his own butt without help much less actually do a fair days work.
Yet because of his simple minded greed, another man with a family to raise remained on layoff struggling just to keep the utilities on.

I often encounter people approaching retirement - usually security guard types at industrial locations looking for something to do when they retire. I do my best to discourage them, highlighting the hard work and multiple weeks at a time away from home. If a guy retiring needs to do this to keep from eating dog food, thats one thing. But those who take runs from drivers with families to support need not apply as far as I'm concerned.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I really do have to disagree with the idea you and RichM seem to share; that older or semi-retired folks are taking work away from good hard-working folks who need it.
First, that concept could also be easily applied to anyone out there working that gets the load you wish you had (but didn't).
Second, my wife and I are squarely in the group(s) you mention as we are retired, over 60 and live with dogs in the truck. You jumped all over an exception, and the truck owner should have been smart enough to track truck activity. Our dogs have less fleas than you, and we seldom take any of those day runs that RichM seems to love, as we're too busy taking just about anything anytime it is offered.
Third, this business provides a lifestyle we like, allows us to see the country again, and work our tails ragged sometimes as we seldom turn down work. I do not agree with your concept that people who like their work are wrong and taking it away from people who really need it, at least until my truck payment stops and fuel becomes free.

Vernon

RobZip

Expert Expediter
>I really do have to disagree with the idea you and RichM
>seem to share; that older or semi-retired folks are taking
>work away from good hard-working folks who need it.
> First, that concept could also be easily applied to
>anyone out there working that gets the load you wish you had
>(but didn't).

Put any spin you like on it. Sounds to me like a cheap excuse for your own gratification with no regard for the struggles others face as expediting gets leaner and less profitable. Load numbers in this area are flat. If you are working because you need the income, so be it. And I have no issues with that. If you are doing this just to have expendable goof off money and travel around, then you are indeed taking income that someone raising a family needs for your own self gratification - in plain talk, simple selfishness.

> Second, my wife and I are squarely in the group(s) you
>mention as we are retired, over 60 and live with dogs in the
>truck. You jumped all over an exception, and the truck owner
>should have been smart enough to track truck activity. Our
>dogs have less fleas than you,

Stow and secure that crap right there. I'm not dealing personal insults to you, I'd appreciate the same courtesy from you. If that however is the low level you want to establish the baseline of this exchange, fine - I can dish it out too. Your call.

>Third, this business provides a lifestyle we like,

Wasn't that the purpose of your primary working years? To establish a lifestyle you like?

>allows us to see the country again,

See it again? Do you realize that the income and buying power of a family starting up in today's economy has things so badly stacked against them that a REAL vacation will never happen? I know of many who pay bills with their vacation money and work the days they should have off with their families just trying to get by. I find it hard to muster much sympathy or consideration for someone who is getting a second time around on things that many today will never see.

>I do not agree with your concept that people who like their work are wrong

Did I ever indicate that people who like their work are wrong? It would be great if everyone had a job they loved. Likewise I enjoy what I do. The more profitable it is, the more I enjoy it.

>and taking it away from people who really need it, at least
>until my truck payment stops and fuel becomes free.

If things were truly tough enough to justify having to work, I wonder if you would be in a position to invest in a truck? Sorry Vern - beginning to sound like a gravy hog to me.

I don't care to know what your situation is. If you need the income, then bop till ya drop. If you are one of those like my previous post alluded to who is simply greedy and doesn't know when to step aside, then yes indeed - no matter how you try to spin it, there is a family being raised somewhere that could use the income more than you.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!
This one really received the controversy. I just want to know what DoWop thinks? Can you make a living at this or not???

Rob you are right about the spin, and Louie, I believe there is some truth to what you say also. You know Rich I think like you do on this matter, but then WHO are we??? Dkalasz simply said that it would be nice to get paid for more of our time we are out there. And ya Zingfu you too are right about seeing the country as no other job, especially a Mortician! But see I know your not going to pass up anything just because. You could be in the middle of _______, (fill in the blank), and if your stolly goes off your right on it.

Just to clear some of this up, not that I feel I have to, BUT!!! I was at the pumps one night and this elderly guy was trying to put gas in his van. It was sad!!! He could hardly walk, and couldn’t see at all. I went to help and his wife appeared. She too was older, but in much better shape. We (her and I) started talking, and she told me they were in debt up to their ears. They took all their savings and bought this van, (it was nice) to pursue their dream and get paid doing it. She told me some recruiter gave them false hopes, She went on, and on, and on. Lets just say when I left her, I was fit to be tied. That recruiter is a lucky guy, Who ever he is!!!

Just for the record if anyone knows this type of recruiter, then they know what it is I’m trying to say. No not all the recruiters do this, but they do exist.

SO! So if you new expediters, or want-a-be expediters think this is a paid vacation, you’re in for a rude awakening. There are very long days/nights, and a lot of stress that come with the title of EXPEDITER. BUT!!! As the bumper sticker states: WE GO TO KEEP YOU GOING!!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Tony,

Perhaps it would help if you posted your routes and activities for the last two weeks and told us what's so hard about it. What is it exactly about your work that should keep me from wanting to do the same thing?

If we find ourselves waiting two days in a distant city for a load and use that time to see the sights, what's wrong with calling it paid tourism?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>
>If we find ourselves waiting two days in a distant city for
>a load and use that time to see the sights, what's wrong
>with calling it paid tourism?

(Mind if I jump in here? ) :) :) :)

Nothing.. .as long as you don't turn down that next run cause you don't wanna leave the museum. :)

I think the point was, not that ALL older people out here are bad, it was just that we've all seen the STEREOTYPE like teacel mentioned at the pumps. People who have no business out here. If people are running, and want to do this, I see no reason not to! Yes, this job has it's headaches, but overall, it's better than most others.. "For SOME people".. as was stated in another post... it get's to be kind of an addiction.

We all have been in that situation where we left a movie, dinner, just paid hotel room, middle of the big game, threw wet laundry in a bag to dry later, etc... or my personal favorite.. get home late Friday night, 10 other trucks ahead of me, 2 hrs later phones ringing... everyone else refused load...they don't wanna run, but wanna stay on the board to have first choice Monday morn!

Not saying ALL are like that... we've just all seen our share. I say if the driver wants to work, no matter the age, or reason, let them run... it's the "Cherry Pickers" that upset everyone.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You answered one of the questions I raised. I now understand from your post and others in this thread that some expediters form opinions about other expediters, and those opinions are strongly held.

What about the other question? More than one expediter has talked about how hard the work is. Could you post your routes and activities for the last two weeks and explain what it is that makes the work hard? I'm not trying to be cute here. I'm asking the question to learn more about the industry we are preparing to enter. Expediters in this thread have complained about recruiters who paint too rosey of a picture. But they've said little about the dark side of expediting.

Please. What exactly is hard about expediting?

RobZip

Expert Expediter
> They took all their savings and bought this van, (it was nice) to >pursue their dream and get
>paid doing it. She told me some recruiter gave them false
>hopes, She went on, and on, and on. Lets just say when I
>left her, I was fit to be tied. That recruiter is a lucky
>guy, Who ever he is!!!
>
>Just for the record if anyone knows this type of recruiter,
>then they know what it is I’m trying to say. No not all the
>recruiters do this, but they do exist.

Recruiters like this and their counterparts in dispatch should be castrated.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi All.
Here is a typical week for me. As most of you know My work is a little different than most. Although I have met guys/gals on the road that do the same type of runs, working for the bigger companies.

I’ll give you this weeks activity for most weeks are very typical, maybe a stop or 2 less, or maybe a stop or 2 more. The miles are about 3000 a week.
Sunday night 4/13 1800 Drove 35 miles east in Pa. From exit 3 Pa Pike to exit 6 then 5 more miles. Loaded the van for Mike a driver that works for me that goes to Ohio. Took about 1/2hr. then drove west on Pa pike into Ohio to the first exit,(total of 74 miles) to meet Mike. Met Mike gave him his deliveries. I then drove back home39miles, and went to bed. a total of 1.75hrs.
Monday morning at 230 woke up did the 3s’s. At 3:30 I drove the same 40 miles, loaded the van for me to do a trip. The trip that day was to New Oxford PA, Lancaster Pa, Birdsboro Pa, Hershey PA, and then back to exit 6 in Pa. For a total of 659.5miles. Returned at 1740, but took a 2hr break around 1300. Loaded Mikes deliveries and drove 74miles to meet him, then another 39 back home. Check emails, returned calls, got on the forum for a quick 5 and went to bed.
Tuesday I did 663.4 mile had 6 stops. Then the 113 to meet Mike.
Wednesday about the same did 467.6 miles. Then had to kill 3hours waiting on Mikes deliveries. Got some paper work done and some bills paid, while in the van. Then went to meet Mike, another 113miles.
Thursday I did 627.5 miles in 3 stops. Aston Mills PA, Lancaster Pa, and York PA, then back home. Got back in time to meet my wife and go eat dinner. Had Mike come to the house and get his deliveries.
All the trips I do are anywhere in the Pgh area, all the way to Philly, and back. No dead head!
Today I get to play in the office, and wear a different hat. I wear about 4 hats a week, sometimes 5. I am off, from driving but have all the invoicing to do and set up next weeks work.
This is a typical week. I have 1 other driver. Pat the other driver picks up his own deliveries, and meets me at the house, to turn in his paper work. He is more less on his own, but I get him the trips. I also have a 91 D unit that is doing some trips, about 5 a month. Mike will do them. My son Les also does are local trips during the day.
My day starts at 2:30 and ends at 2030, four and most times 5 days a week. Along with picking up the deliveries I get a list of the time of delivery for each stop. Saturdays are spent maintaining 3 vans, and my honey-do-list. Sunday I do NOTHING!!!!
Some days I go and call on a prospective client, or two. If driver my son wants to drive east, and wants some miles that week. HA! HA! HA!
WHAT IS A VACATION???
My wife helps about 2hours every morning, and I stay in touch with her all day.
This is the answer to the first part of your question.

I'll pass on #2

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
ATEAM: Seems to me we could splain this expediting till we're blue
in the face, and you'll "still wana try it for the lifestyle". I'd
say, you should just jump in there with both feet, and, go for it.
I feel you read the post about just checking into a motel @ $50, and
getting a load offer, just getting you're clothes soapy and wet, and
getting a load offer, just departing shore on a two hour harbor cruise and getting a load offer(how ya gonna make that one hour pick-up window?), just delivering a load from Portland, Oregon to
Atlanta, GA and, you get a load offer from Atlanta to Macon, Ga (what
ya gonna do with that one?) Ifeel you read these things but don't
internalize the message. Yes there are a lot of really nice places
we visit. However, whatcha gonna do in downtown Oak Creek, Wi, Grand
Rapids, MI, Sunbury, PA, Mason City, IA, Devils Lake, ND, Springdale,
AR, Bassett, NE, and so forth. Maybe turn the loads down to these places, because? I'm an "old fart" myself and understand the need to move. Most of the time when you get to a really nice spot, you are
either way tootired to enjoy it before you get another load offer,or,
you allready "been there done that". Anyway I say GO for it. How we
percieve this business, you may not.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you, Tony for your detailed reply, and for the time you took to write it. It tells me two things. 1) You are a hard worker. 2) Comparing our vision of running a single-truck, D-unit, team business to all that you are doing with your complex web of customers, drivers, and vehciles would be like comparing apples to oranges. We prefer the simpler life of a one-truck operation.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>ATEAM: Seems to me we could splain this expediting till
>we're blue
>in the face, and you'll "still wana try it for the
>lifestyle".

It is a lifestyle. Numerous people in these threads have made that very point. It's not a 9-5 job. It's work that requires a whole new way of thinking about "home."

I'd
>say, you should just jump in there with both feet, and, go
>for it.

August 1st is our tentative start date when we'll be doing exactly that. We're working now to ease out of our current jobs and to make some changes to the house.

>I feel you read the post about just checking into a motel @
>$50, and
>getting a load offer,

I don't see where it makes sense to check into a hotel if you could get called out of it for a load. Would it not be wiser to take yourself out of service (or off the board, or whatever it is called) before checking in? And since you have a sleeper, why would you need to check into a hotel in the first place, except perhaps for the ocasional break from the road? If you needed such a break, why not do it right? Spend $150 for a great hotel with a full buffet, an ironing board in the room, pool, sauna, a good selection of reading material in the gift shop, good cigars for sale in the bar, etc. Without those extras, a truck stop shower will do and the hotel has little more to offer than the sleeper. If the purpose is to take a break, take a great break. Otherwise, stay in service and use your sleeper.

just getting you're clothes soapy and
>wet, and
>getting a load offer,

That's not much of a crisis. Take your wet clothes with you and take the run. You can wash your clothes later. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know the difference between gaining 500 paid miles and losing your truck stop washing machine change.

just departing shore on a two hour
>harbor cruise and getting a load offer(how ya gonna make
>that one hour pick-up window?),

Again, if we decided to take such a boat ride, we'd take ourselves out of service. We'll enjoy the ride more knowing we won't be interrupted.

just delivering a load from
>Portland, Oregon to
>Atlanta, GA and, you get a load offer from Atlanta to Macon,
>Ga (what
>ya gonna do with that one?)

Not knowing the industry well, my inclination would be to take the second run, as long as one of us has had enough sleep to drive safely. What would you do? Take the run for the money? Avoid it to avoid being marooned in a less-busy area? Hold out for a "better" run later on? With my limited understanding of the business, I guess I'd take the run.

Ifeel you read these things but
>don't
>internalize the message. Yes there are a lot of really nice
>places
>we visit. However, whatcha gonna do in downtown Oak Creek,
>Wi, Grand
>Rapids, MI, Sunbury, PA, Mason City, IA, Devils Lake, ND,
>Springdale,
>AR, Bassett, NE, and so forth.

Take wallks. County parks. Folding lawn chairs. Local museums. Movies. Local shopping. Pick up something interesting to sell on eBay. Find a local post card and send it to our friend who collects them. Go for a five mile run. Try a new crock-pot recipie. Read a good book. Watch TV. Do truck maintenance. Sleep. Study truck topics on line to increase our industry knowledge. Surf the web. Play cards. Write in your journal. Study computer stuff. Take our cameras out and enjoy our photography hobby. Etc.

Maybe turn the loads down to
>these places, because? I'm an "old fart" myself and
>understand the need to move. Most of the time when you get
>to a really nice spot, you are
>either way tootired to enjoy it before you get another load
>offer,or,
>you allready "been there done that".

For us, the tourism aspect of the business is a bonus. Our motivation is money. We already know that given a choice between a day on a Southern California beach and a late-night drive that will land us in North Dakota in the winter, we'll go to North Dakota. The beach will be there later. The money is there right now.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Well ATeam, I gotta give you credit, you do sound like you "get it" more than a lot that jump into this business. Sounds like you have a plan and are willing to stick to it. You sound a lot like a guy named Jim that was frequenting another board I go to. :)

In answer to your question about the hotel... after several nights in a sleeper, that sleeper can feel pretty small... and ya just wanna stretch your legs, shower without waiting in line, sit watch local tv, order in pizza and forget about the truck for one night. BUT.. the reason I would do a cheaper hotel instead of the $150.00 one is "just in case" that call comes. Walking away from a $45.00 room is easier!

Dreamer

bosn004

Expert Expediter
Doowop,
After reading all of the posts concerning your question I decided to to respond in support of expediting for all interested in the business. Expediting has something to offer for everyone. Those seeking to raise a family, retired needing supplemintal income, retired looking for paid travel, etc.. Anyone that finds it difficult to make a living doing this may be with the wrong company or possibly not bussiness oriented. Other factors such as economy may also play a part. We all know those who put all their profit in the video machines. If I was struggling to make a living for my family I'd search for a better opportunity. Like it or not this is the way a capitalistic society works.

My wife and I are retired from other careers and find this life style vary appealing. We are making up for lost time together in the past by being together constantly. We find more spare time to read, craft etc. Besides we now get to write off the cost of meals etc.. Try that working in the traditional workforce. There are times we run hard but there are times when you have more time than you may want. Bottom line is, this business will fit any desired result.

If You want to make a living at this own your own truck. If you drive for someone else you will probably recieve about 60% of the 62% recieved by the owner and you'll still get to buy the fuel. Driving for someone else puts you at the bottom of the food chain. If you can, buy a used unit to start. No need to pay $100,000 for someting you can buy used far $35,000. You'll realize a greater profit.

The short of your question, Yes you can make a good living at this if done properly.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
LMAO, Well I do have to say this was a humorous read, even though Vince123 was the only one out of 32 posts who answered DooWop's question.

"God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth, so we should listen twice as
much as we talk"

Ken23

Expert Expediter
I've been an o/o (Chevy G30 cargo van) for an air frieght company in Chicago for a year now.
I've found that gas eats up about 1/3rd of what I gross. Add repairs, insurance, van payments, cell phone bill, etc. and I'm left making little more than I would driving a box truck for some company doing local deliveries...that is, unless I work an ungodly amount of hours in a given week.
My free time is hardly free because I'm waiting for the phone to ring. It's a pity how many nice days have been wasted...all the things I'd do in a day if only I knew I wasn't going to be working. But you never know...unless you call in and say you won't be available.
I'm tired of the overnight 500 mile suicide runs (usually after a full day of doing local work)and I'm also tired of sitting in friday afternoon Chicago traffic for 4 hours to do a lousy $30 local job.
Some days this can be the greatest job in the world...other days I feel like a sucker.
I guess I'm not really an expeditor in the truest sense of the word. I do hot-shots, but I come back home empty. I'm home almost every night, but I'm always on call.
If I could get a nice 200 mile day trip 5 times a week (or two 500 mile trips) then life would be perfect, but I've yet to have a week like that.
When I add up the hours I work (not just drove...but doing paperwork, waiting to get loaded/unloaded etc) and divide them by the profit that I make, it comes to around $12 an hour (before taxes). I think I'm going to be getting out of this racket soon. I'm sick of being on call. You can make a decent living if you work a lot of hours, but the compensation is hardly worth the responsibility and the life I have to give up.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Unfortunetly there is what seems to be an endless supply of people out there, waiting to invest there time and money into a business that for most will be unsuccessful. Every large Freightliner dealer out there has repo trucks in its lots, that they cannot sell. While at the same time people are buying new trucks and blindly getting into the expediting busines. If only there was a way to somehow let people know how difficult the expediting business can be for the unprepared. The truck manufacturers get their money, shipping companies get cheap labor, the finance companies make a profit, and too many unsuspecting people loose out. It just isn't right.

Take care and

Drive Safe.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Larry said, "If only there was a way to somehow let people know how difficult the expediting business can be for the unprepared."

There is a way. It's right here in the EO Forums. One way to start is for the experienced expediters (highly successful, somewhat successful, and unsuccessful) to explain the difference between prepared expediters (solo or team) and unprepared expediters.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Yes Larry, I have to agree with you. this business isn't for everyone.
I think driving a truck for a living takes a special breed. Most people don't have a clue what it is that we actually do and how we do it, and what we also have to put up with, let alone give up. Most will say whats so hard about driving a truck.... Nothing if thats all you had to do. I'm not saying it's a hard job, but theres alot more to it than starting it up, sticking it in gear and letting out the clutch. then you'll have people asking for help and when you try to help and let them know what is all involved and what they need to do they say your too negitive. go figure !!

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I think that YES YOU CAN, make a living at this. I think there are some factors you need to think of. 1st, if you are an o/o and work for yourself, better have a business plan, and 2nd, plan on putting in long hard hours, business don't become sucsessful overnight. Now if your gonna drive for an owner, make sure he/she has a truck that can do the job, won't breakdown every week, pays on time, and can get you the miles needed to make a living. Make sure he/she is honest, and I would recomend that after you fill out the application for employment, ask the owner to fill out application of sorts, and CHECK THEIR CREDIT!!! If they have bad credit, odds are they have problems paying bills on time, and if thats the case, your pay is one of the bills. If the owner won't fill out credit app, RUN AWAY!!
Just my thoughs.