Can I make a living at this????? (Pt.2)

poodlenme

Expert Expediter
It is really discouraging out there you know! I came to truck driving out of a desperate search to make a livable wage. I spent thousands on truck driving school. When I went out on the road the first time I had a home and a car and little money. After 3 years on the road I have lost my home, my car, and have no money! Schools promise big bucks the first year. I made $25,000 my first year, which was my best year with a big truck company. I decided to expedite and it got worse. I made $13,000 last year driving. Before taxes. I have worked for 3 expedite companies. The absolute best one was Panther Transportation. They are a good company, and they treat the drivers well. Its the owners who's trucks are leased to these companies that give expediting a bad name. If you have a great owner, stick with him or her no matter what! My owner sold the truck I was driving and I drove for 2 other companies. One guy didnt have enough money to run the truck, and I was left stranded 700 miles from home. I had to call a local church for help. The truck broke down and I had no way to go anywhere. I had to call the police to take me to a motel. The owners wife said they were broke. What were they doing trying to run a truck on air and good intentions? I desperately called the expedite co. they were leased with and they said it was my problem! Next owner with another company never paid me what she owed me. Had to call her dozens of times, gave up. Next owner dumped me out 1400 miles from home because my co-driver called them and told them someone had called me on my cell phone so he FIRED me and of course didnt pay me, because I listened to someone offer me a job. I didnt take the job. Frankly I havent driven since although I would like to. I am a honest, hard working person who just wants to drive and get paid. The expediting company pays the owners, why dont they want to be fair to the people who stay up night and day running the freight so they can pay for their trucks. Anyway, sorry to be long winded. But trucking is not all it is cracked up to be.
I wish it was better, I have heard stories of wonderful days of lot of money in trucking in the 70s and 80s. I am currently looking into other job training. Good luck to all of you still out there, Please check out the owners past drivers comments to see how they treated them before leaving home. I know there are terrible drivers out there also, they abandon trucks and dont run loads. Its a two way street. I wish I could find a honest, caring owner, with a well cared for truck. I would probably go out again. Any offers? Take care out there everyone, my prayers r with you. :7