can a husband/wife team make any money driving a s

wano

Seasoned Expediter
me and my wife were thinking about getting into expediting to drive a sprinter van for someone can we make money doing that? she is afraid to give up her job as a nurse aid to drive she brings home between $500-$700 every two weeks can we do better than that on the road?thanks.wayne in london,ky.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
RE: can a husband/wife team make any money driving

We are not van drivers but I would suggest you do a search on Vans and look at how they are doing. From what we see on the forums most o/o are struggling in a van so I cannot imagine how you could make it as drivers. But read a lot of the past posts and I think you will gain a lot of information.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

It has been pretty well determined here that a van owner has a chance to make decent money but a van will not provide adequate revenue if split with an owner and solo driver , never mind a team . Freight has been slow and will slow even more during the holidays . The industry is oversaturated with vans .

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

im not a van operator either,i suggest if you want to get into expedite,get your wife a b cdl ahd get into the straight truck market,but right now,all the straight trucks are saturated also.expedite is a great tool for the husband and wife team,but not in a van

juliewray60

Not a Member

team in a van ?

regardless how big any van could possibly be, are there really 2 drivers that move freight about the country over long distances?

maybe i have not been paying attention but i just can not fathom living in a space a fraction in size to jail cell. i saw an elderly couple once driving a van but i just assumed they were doing local deliveries.

are these people getting hotels every night? they both cant possibly be sleeping in a van?

i dunno but the concept of 2 people living in a van kind of creeps me out and feel really sorry for those that have to live that kind of existence.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

>
>i dunno but the concept of 2 people living in a van kind of
>creeps me out and feel really sorry for those that have to
>live that kind of existence.

Perhaps one day you'll be fortunate enough to meet Terry and Rene, who not only choose to "live that kind of existence", but prove that it can be done with class and style, too.
To the original question: a couple in a cargo van need to be very savvy about this business to net enough money to justify life on the road. Getting just a percentage of the gross, (the usual arrangement with an owner for whom you drive), isn't the way to be financially secure, IMO.
Welcome to EO!

RANDYnRONDA

Seasoned Expediter

on the road again!!

we are a husband/wife team in a van and love every minute of it.
we are also doing very well, we could do better but choose not to work alot. We usually go out and work for two weeks and when we get close to home we go and take a week or two off. We have a double bed, tv, playstation, and all the things we need and still can fit two skids!!! In the summer if we want we get a hotel room to kick back and relax but otherwise we are just fine and comfortable in our "van".

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

As Cheri said, there are couples who do just fine in a van, and do it with style! I'm waiting for OVM to jump in on this thread :) .

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

[font size="1"]Have a Sprinter van? Check out the forums at [A href="http://www.mysprintervan.com"]MySprinterVan.com[/A]

OTR? Check out [A href="http://www.truckme.com"]Truckme.com [/A]

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

[/font]