Camping supplies in your truck?

Kristy

Expo Manager
On Time Media Staff
I've heard that a camping supply store maybe a good exhibitor for the Expo, but I need your input.
Tell me what camping supplies you use in your truck?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I use a sleeping bag. RV type roof vent fan.

Lamps and lanterns, coolers, portable toilets, camp stove, propane heaters, there are lots of camping and RV supplies that are popular out here. We have a lot in common with RVers, especially boondockers.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sleeping bag, cot, propane cooking stove, lantern, propane heater and so on...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a sleeping bag and verious other things that turtle said but I also would love to see more 12 volt stuff...
That's odd. Most 12-volt stuff I've had any experience with-- with the possible exception of tire-inflators-- are not worth the bother. Refrigerators that don't actually cool anything, coffee-makers that take longer to boil water than it would take to cross half the county for a cup of joe and so on....

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's odd. Most 12-volt stuff I've had any experience with-- with the possible exception of tire-inflators-- are not worth the bother. Refrigerators that don't actually cool anything, coffee-makers that take longer to boil water than it would take to cross half the county for a cup of joe and so on....
Most 12-volt appliances that most of us come in contact with are Road Pro brands, which is owned by DAS Companies out of Palmyra, PA. They're made in China, cheaply. Not a fan.

Resistive heat applications, like air conditioning, electric heating (including coffee makers and water boilers), clothes dryers, etc., are not very good with 12-volt current. With 12-volt it requires a low amp draw, therefor it takes considerably longer.

The $100 or so thermoelectric coolers do work, but they only cool things down about 40 degrees cooler than ambient. Cold cuts and soft drinks in there when the cooler is in the house or a dorm and it works great. Not so great in Laredo in July.

The high end fridges, like Norcold, Whynter, Engel, a few others, they'll flat keep stuff cold (or frozen if you set if on freezer). But you pay for that kind of 12-volt efficiency. $600 for a small one, $1200 and up for bigger, $4000-$8000 for a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer you'd put in a house. If you want a really good portable 12-volt fridge, any of them on this page will do ya. Most are low amp (2-3 amps) draw. The thermoelectric Koolatrons and Igloo coolers will draw 5 amps.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have had a number of shower bags over the years. I now use a day pack size backpack it is by far the best shower bag I've used.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Every few months, Diane and I would go to Camping World to browse the store and see if there was anything new that we could not live without. Expediters and RV people have much in common. Indeed, we spent many a layover weekend in our truck at RV parks. The kitchen and bathroom/shower we had in our truck were essentially the same as what RV's have, only smaller. In addition to the items listed by others above, note also RV kitchen equipment and utensils.

An exhibitor at the Expo could create a lot of interest by running a contest in which prizes are given out for the ten best camping equipment ideas for expediters. It would take a lot of reading to dig them out but these forums are peppered with hundreds of such ideas. You would learn a lot from the ideas submitted. Display all entries at your booth for show attendees to read. Let them vote to choose the top ten.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I actually found a Coleman factory outlet when in Georgia last month.....man they had every toy available...Loved it! They might be interested in such a booth if contacted

Reactions: ntimevan

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most everything we use came from camping supply type outlets. Table for Hobo Hibachi to freeze dryed emergency food.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I'm wondering how long a 12v heater like this one could run before draining your vehicle battery?

12 Volt Heater, Road Pro 12-Volt Direct Hook-Up Ceramic Heater, 12 Volt Ceramic Heaters, Car Heaters 12 Volt
300 watts @12 volts is around 24 amps per hour if you have a 100 ah battery you might get 4 hrs use before pronouncing it dead
That heater should be used with a direct wire to the battery bank and used with the engine running 2 battery's would give you more life . Give or take

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Road Pro heater isn't worth the time it takes to pass by it on the store shelf, much less buying it and trying to use it. Further, connecting that thing to the vehicle's battery (probably by way of the cigarette lighter socket/12 volt power outlet) is just asking to have to call a tow truck for a jump.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have had a number of shower bags over the years. I now use a day pack size backpack it is by far the best shower bag I've used.
I have a large Duluth Pack Sportsman Duffle that is 20 some years old. I have had it on the road with me for 18 years. I use this as my shower bag. When I go in to shower I take the normal stuff; change of clothes and Duluth Pack kit bag filled with toiletry essential. I also haul in my laptop, gps and other stuff I don't want stolen inside my duffle.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan