Calculating per mile costs?

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
OK, so what calculations are you guys using (can you break it down so I understand better?) to see what runs you take and are profitable?

e.g.: A run pays $2500 to go 1500 miles, so $1.67 per mile.

What do you then figure into the calculation?

Fuel burn obviously, but then what? Truck maintenance set aside?

I know its truck-specific, and will vary truck to truck, I've gotten that far. Maybe I could ask, what is the least you guys take for a run per mile (other than perhaps DH runs back to the hub or something)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Ok I searched for that an came up with nothing...odd.

Anyways, thanks for the point in the right direction!:D

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
The way I figure, if the load is for me is easy.First off, 60% of the load is going home,with that in mind,the balance of the load,40% is my advance.This advance has to take care of all expenses for that load.Thats deliver the load,dead head to layover,and leave enough fuel to run another 100 miles.If i can do that then i will take the run,if not,its a turn down.I'm not going into my credit cards to operate my truck,I had to do that a couple years ago at another carrier that isnt with us anymore,and now that I'm back with FECC I'm getting my balance out of the red.I dont figure my total truck expenses per load,its a monthly thing,and I know pretty much what my income will be every month.I adjust my home time accordingly.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you use that spreadsheet from OOIDA you can calculate what it costs per mile to operate your truck. Then you decide how much above that is your threshhold for go/no go. Estimate your expenses toward the high side and you should always be making at least your minimum since other than times of extreme headwinds, weight, mountains etc. you'll be operating farther in the black than you estimated.