C19 Topics

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Fauci responds: Dr. Fauci responds to 'mischievous' criticism after he was photographed with mask off at Nationals game

His response seems reasonable to me. Diane, our gym staff and I wear masks at work, but when we eat or drink, they come off. We advertise that our staff is masked. If someone wanted to get a photo of us not wearing masks, compose the photo to suggest we are not eating or drinking, and then charge us with hypocrcicy, that is certainly possible, but it would be a bad-faith act and the charge would be groundless. Yes, we're wearing masks and making a good-faith effort to protect others from the virus by doing so. No, we do not achieve a state of pure mask perfection every second of every day. It is possible to snap a photo of us that is indeed a photo of a particular instant, but does not communicate the truth.

Such a photo would be akin to a video of a driver getting into his/her truck and driving away without doing a PTI, and then suggesting he/she is an unsafe driver. Or a video of a trucker drifting across the center line one time and suggesting the same. Yes, it happened, but there is more to the story that tells the real truth.

That said, it was careless of Fauci to allow himself to be photographed as he was. He should have known a million eyes are on him even when no camera obviously is.

Somewhat related is the Sandmann story in which the kid is hitting the litigation jackpot in his suits against multiple news organizations and others. That's a case where a video was taken out of context, lies were told based on it, and now the media must pay.
At my work they allow us to remove our mask only in the area each worker works in, which has wooden barriers similar to a cubicle in an office. And obviously to get a drink of water at the water fountain. We are told to maintain social distance as well. We are told that this mandatory and anyone who doesnt adhere to the directive will ve sent home from work.
Fauci, in the photo, was sitting about 6 inches or so from two others without his mask on. If he was dehydrated and needed to drink something, he could have easily moved to an empty seat a few feet way to do this. It's still good practice to maintain at least 6 feet even with the mask, which he also didn't do. He also said that he had tested negative THE DAY BEFORE. So everything must be cool I guess.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
My question is, who was that sitting with him? Was that family? If so, why would he need his mask on at all? Its not like there is anyone else around him. By the way, im jealous, he got to attend a game.....
Baseball is also on my don't watch list.
So it's " bye Felicia.".

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My question is, who was that sitting with him? Was that family? If so, why would he need his mask on at all? Its not like there is anyone else around him. By the way, im jealous, he got to attend a game.....
It was his wife and a close friend. There's no wider shot to see a more complete context, but there's certainly no one within 6 feet of them, and likely no one ithin 15 or 20 sections of them. And, they're, like, outside. While a picture of Fauci not wearing a mask is humorous, I find it hard to believe that anyone with an IQ above room temperature seriously thinks this is a big deal or somehow demonstrates hypocrisy.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Baseball is also on my don't watch list.
So it's " bye Felicia.".
I was never a soccer fan in the first place, so don't care.
I gave up on the NBA years ago.
As a Bengals fan, it wasn't very difficult to be soured on the NFL over the kneeling and the whining.

But baseball, that's hard. I played as a kid and was scouted in high school until a rotator cup injury, and was a batboy and clubhouse gopher for the Reds in '75 and '76. It's still about the game and "between the lines" with me, but there are a few things going on with MLB that I can't get behind. And there are a few players and their contrived whiny-assed b*tch virtue signaling (I'm looking at you, Joey Votto, you whiny assed b*itch) that leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. But I haven't give up on it yet.

Reactions: muttly

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
....... I find it hard to believe that anyone with an IQ above room temperature seriously thinks this is a big deal or somehow demonstrates hypocrisy.
105224728-GettyImages-959393348.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Herman Cain has died of COVID-19. He was hospitalized on July 1 with some symptoms and after testing positive.
He was 74 years old, and a stage 4 colon cancer survivor.

NBC has determined, without evidence, that he contracted the virus at the Trump Tulsa rally 10 days before.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I will miss Herman Cain. I listened to him when I could, not too many similar outlets. I usually agreed with his goals, but not always.
I will not miss NBC. I don't often listen since there are many comparable outlets. I sometimes agree with them too, but not always..

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
NBC has determined, without evidence, that he contracted the virus at the Trump Tulsa rally 10 days before.
I will not miss NBC. I don't often listen since there are many comparable outlets. I sometimes agree with them too, but not always..
I cant wait to see the same criticism of Fox.

Reactions: dalscott

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Has any contact tracers dared to link ANY covid positive persons with the protests and riots from the past couple months? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: davekc and Turtle

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I will not miss NBC. I don't often listen since there are many comparable outlets. I sometimes agree with them too, but not always.

I cant wait to see the same criticism of Fox.
<crickets>

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This might be something to look at along with zinc, as a daily regimen, if it doesn't interact with medications.

www.healthline.com/nutrition/quercetin
I think it's worth looking into, but that article should be taken with a grain of may. Because there are way too many "may"s in it (for my liking). The last sentence in the article is the most important: "Though its benefits seem promising, more human research is needed." [emphasis, moi]

Human trials on quercetin are very thin. Most of the concluded benefits of quercetin come from in vitro experiments, and then are extrapolated by reasoning and common sense. There is plenty of evidence, without question, that quercetin is beneficial when consumed from foods, but scant is the evidence for supplements. Lots more work needs to be done on that one. Here's a good write-up on it from the NIH. As the Summary of the article points out, at least based on its broad range of biological effect in animal testing, quercetin is a safe dietary supplement. So it can't hurt to take it (unless you're taking blood thinners to reduce blood pressure, as quercetin in large dose supplement form will further reduce blood pressure). But the results of the biological effects are not consistent, and the studies show, so far, that you get the biggest benefit by consuming quercetin in its natural form, i.e., from organic fruits and vegetables. Here's another respected article about quercetin, which gives additional information, all of it potentially good.

Fortunately, quercetin is the most abundant flavonoid in the diet. It's hard to eat a fruit or vegetable that doesn't contain it. And I like and eat everything on the list of quercetin-rich foods.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
<crickets>
What are you even talking about?

Fox News didn't conclude Cain contracted the virus at the Tulsa Rally. All Fox News said what that Cain attended the rally and didn't wear a mask. That's hardly the same as flatly stating as a fact that Cain contracted the virus at the rally, which is what NBC said (and has since retracted).

It's certainly possible that Cain got infected at the rally. But it's also possible that he got it at any number of other times and places, including on the flight to Tulsa (where 6 other people on the flight, none of whom attended the rally, later also tested positive for the virus).

As far as the crickets are concerned, they have deafened my ears while waiting for you to provide even one link to a MSM news source from a couple or three weeks ago that gave the death rate after you implied such reporting was ubiquitous and routine. The raw numbers of hospitalizations and deaths are routinely reported by the MSM, because those numbers in isolation are scary, but the death rate, which is far more important, isn't scary, so they don't report it, despite those figures being readily available, every single day, from the CDC, NIH and Johns Hopkins. One cricket was so confident that I wouldn't get a response that it crawled into my ear and did a River Dance on my eardrum.

Reactions: davekc and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I think it's worth looking into, but that article should be taken with a grain of may. Because there are way too many "may"s in it (for my liking). The last sentence in the article is the most important: "Though its benefits seem promising, more human research is needed." [emphasis, moi]

Human trials on quercetin are very thin. Most of the concluded benefits of quercetin come from in vitro experiments, and then are extrapolated by reasoning and common sense. There is plenty of evidence, without question, that quercetin is beneficial when consumed from foods, but scant is the evidence for supplements. Lots more work needs to be done on that one. Here's a good write-up on it from the NIH. As the Summary of the article points out, at least based on its broad range of biological effect in animal testing, quercetin is a safe dietary supplement. So it can't hurt to take it (unless you're taking blood thinners to reduce blood pressure, as quercetin in large dose supplement form will further reduce blood pressure). But the results of the biological effects are not consistent, and the studies show, so far, that you get the biggest benefit by consuming quercetin in its natural form, i.e., from organic fruits and vegetables. Here's another respected article about quercetin, which gives additional information, all of it potentially good.

Fortunately, quercetin is the most abundant flavonoid in the diet. It's hard to eat a fruit or vegetable that doesn't contain it. And I like and eat everything on the list of quercetin-rich foods.
I'm a blueberry protein smoothie junkie so I'm getting some flavonoids, but I'm also probably creating a heavy dose of free radicals each day so will probably start taking some with the zinc. I happened to see Dr. Zev Zelenko recommend it.
Screenshot_20200731-203827.png

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm a blueberry protein smoothie junkie so I'm getting some flavonoids, but I'm also probably creating a heavy dose of free radicals each day so will probably start taking some with the zinc. I happened to see Dr. Zev Zelenko recommend it.
I don't think it's gonna hurt, and it 'may" help.

I don't do a lot of smoothies while on the road, but at home I have a Vitamix, so, yeah. I don't do a lot of protein powder in my smoothies, but once in a while. Extracted protein powders can be hard on the kidneys, colon and other things, so I usually use acai or flaxseed for protein "powder." The whole seeds usually, but you can but them in powdered form. Plus, I eat plenty of beef, fish and chicken, so I'm not deficient in the protein department. I do drink an Atkins Shake once or twice a day, though, as a meal replacement. Once you have a really good blender, it's not hard to buy into the "whole food" philosophy of nutrition. It's healthier, and, you know, tastes better.

Most of my smoothies are spinach or kale based, with some combination (or solo) of blueberries, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, apples, or pineapple. Knowing that nothing really comes close to garlic in terms of antioxidants, I almost always throw in a couple of garlic cloves into the smoothies. You do need a powerful blender if using garlic, otherwise you get garlic-banana smoothies, and that's just nasty. Garlic power or a garlic supplement is a good alternative. I regularly eat 3 or 4 (or half the jar) or garlic stuffed olives. Love those things. But I almost never get a cold. The health and medicinal properties of garlic just crazy.

I'm a big fan of antioxidants, and the more I learn the more have seen my diet directly affect blood pressure, glucose levels, and cholesterol. Even with the weird dietary restrictions of pre-and post gallbladder surgery, and colonoscopy prep, I still have a pretty healthy balance of high antioxidants in my diet. But that's at home. On the road it's more difficult, and I'll probably add some quercetin. Not so much for the COVID, but it can't hurt and it might help. I'm already taking zinc and Vitamin D3.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I've neglected on the garlic so I'll add that. I use the nutri Bullitt blender. I have isolate protein blend and the plant based that I alternate.
Also do the Super Beets chews daily for blood pressure and circulation.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Garlic pills, powder and oil will help boost the immune system and reduce colds (63% in multiple studies compared to the placebo group), but only the raw garlic will do anything for cholesterol (it'll drop cholesterol 10 points or better). The raw garlic needs to be crushed, minced, chewed, to break down and activate the allicin. When pills, oils and power dissolve in the stomach, the allicin is deactivated. So I wouldn't take garlic pills for cholesterol, but (most) all of the other benefits are there in the pills. Also, raw garlic has way more antioxidants than any pill or powder will. If your blender will beat up the cloves enough so that the smoothie doesn't taste garlicy, you're good to go. Otherwise I recommend the stuffed olives.