C19 Topics

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
CNN did a story about Remdesivir, and how the manufacturer, Gilead, has set up licensing deals with drug manufacturers to keep the generic version restricted to the poorest countries, so that Gilead could control the world market and soak the richer countries and insurers for between $3000 and $5000 per 5-day treatment. The generic version is like $25 for the same 5-day treatment. The story slammed Gilead, in a round about way, for profiteering off the virus, but at the same time touted it as the ONLY viable option for the virus until a vaccine is available, since it reduces hospitals stays by as much as 2-4 days. It doesn't reduce the death rate, AT ALL, but it reduces the length of hospital stay. In fact, that's how Gilead justifies the cost, saying, "Hey, ingrates!! It's STILL cheaper than 4 extra days in the hospital." Or something to that effect. The article of course didn't mention hydroxychloroquine at all.

Reactions: dalscott and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Ho hum on rendesiver. If I get sick I'd want the hydrochloroquine with zinc. The earlier the better. Z pack if necessary too. Unfortunately a lot of hospitals in my area, according the other article I posted hasn't been using it with patients.

Reactions: Turtle

muttly

Veteran Expediter
How many lives could have been saved if the drug hydroxchloroquine wasn't politicized early on and utilized on a large scale in this country? Multiple 10's of thousands at the very least.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How many additional lives could have been snuffed out if the drug hydroxchloroquine wasn't politicized early on and utilized on a large scale in this country? Multiple 10's of thousands at the very least.
Fixed it for ya....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, and that has nothing to do with the BIG money vs. the basically free option. Oh, and for those who believe so strongly against HCQ+zinc, there's a big sale on bridges going on.

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Totally anecdotal, because clinical studies aren't being done with placebos, but I talked with my doctor about COVID-19 a couple of weeks ago, and he said the standard treatment by every doctor in the county affiliated with the hospital (which is all of them) has been Hydroxychloroquine with a Z-pack and zinc. If someone tests positive for COVID-9, but has no symptoms, they are tested again in 3-5 days. If they test positive a second time, they are immediately put on the medications. If they have symptoms and test positive, they are put on the medications. He's had one patient and knows of two others who did not receive hydroxychloroquine because they have the standard pre-existing risk factors that put them at high risk of heart attacks and other issues with the drug. Those people would never be prescribed the drug for any reason. He said about a dozen patients who tested positive were already taking the drug because of rheumatoid arthritis and they never showed any symptoms.

At the time this was out of 75 or 77 confirmed positive tests (it's now 89 in the county, 74 cases fully recovered, 12 isolated at home, 2 hospitalized, and 1 death), and the first 6 patients who came down with it were not given the medications. Of those 6, one died, and would not have been a candidate for HCQ in the first place (heart transplant recipient, one year, and was already on supplemental oxygen). He was 88 years old.

Again, anecdotal, not a clinical study, but that's a pretty strong argument in favor of that particular medical treatment.

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
According to the recent study, apparently there weren't any cardiac issues noted caused by HCQ. Most of the hospitals, at least from the article I posted earlier, haven't been giving it to patients. Except Detroit Medical Center Sinai Grace. Would hope the hospitals in my area will get up to speed and start using it. I like the protocol that Turtle posted with his county doctors that they test patients and if they still are positive within 3 to 5 days to put them on the regimen. Get them on it early. Even more effective.
Screenshot_20200704-174016.png

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Today is the start of manditory mask at my favourite store! Even here in Canada...and we only have a 1% infection rate!! it seems like knee jerk reaction of closing the barn door after the horse gets out ...good for mom and pops I guess...Walmart won't be getting any of my money for awhile...I absolutely won't comply...

Reactions: FlyingVan

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Today is the start of manditory mask at my favourite store! Even here in Canada...and we only have a 1% infection rate!! it seems like knee jerk reaction of closing the barn door after the horse gets out ...good for mom and pops I guess...Walmart won't be getting any of my money for awhile...I absolutely won't comply...

I got a note from my doctor, COPD means no mask for me! Even tho I quit smoking when I had my stroke 3 years ago

Sent from lost in space.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan